Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Any SB66c ride reports yet?

Are there any reports out there from sea otter? I'm assuming they had demos there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I didn't go to SeaOtter, but I got mine last Thursday and have 4 rides, 8000 feet of climbing/decending so far. Five flaming chillies!!!

Any specific questions?

Here's what actually getting the bike after having it on order for months and having only tested the aluminum version answered for me:

1. It is noticeably stiffer and lighter than the SB-66a
    2. You can look at the pictures on line all you want, but seeing it in person it is stunning
    3. Haven ridden the Carbon Nomad, Mojo HD I like the SB-66C better. For me, it climbs better and more fun on the descents.
    4. It climbs like a hard tail, descends like a full DH rig – what else could you want?

I’m coming off of XC oriented bike, but also have 8” downhill bike for the bike parks. The SB-66 fit the “hole in my lineup” for something that was more fun on the trails here in the front range of Colorado. My build is the XTR and added a dropper, chain guide, Fox 36 and more free ride wheels. Held off on the carbon rims in lieu of spending $ on some bike skills coaching.

Things I didn’t expect
    1. It actually climbs better than I expected; I was able to make or make if farther on technical climbing sections than I’ve ever done
    2. XTR Brakes are amazing
    3. XTR 2x10 is plenty of range, that crank set is what other crank sets want to be
    4. Have hit the bash guard, but a lot less than I expected with the 2x10
    5. The MRP 2x chain guide is louder than I expected, but works perfectly
    6. Could use a 2.35 on the front
    7. Suspension seems bottomless
    8. Wish I got a dropper post sooner
    Last edited by MTBMike Colorado; 04-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm placing my order tomorrow - can't wait!

banned
    Mar 2012
    As soon as they're available and in stock at Jenson's I'm going to sell my 66a and grab one.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Just got a 575, but got my eye on a SB66c as my next frame
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow, I am surprised to hear it is stiffer, ok well not way surprised but I thought my AL was stiff, stiffer than any trail bike I've rode other than MAYBE the Nomad C which I didn't spend much time on, Never rode a Mojo HD though. I thought the SB66 rear(12x142) end felt a lot stiffer than the Nomad though but the Nomads front triangle felt very stiff, Carbon feels different though.

I am definitely lusting after a 66C
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Wow, I am surprised to hear it is stiffer,...
    I think the main noticable difference is the weight, sure seems stiffer when pedaling, but it has been months since I rode the aluminum version which I agree was very solid. Ideally you could go a demo and ride them back to back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Any specific questions?

Yes, the stiffness, particularly the rear end stiffness is what I was interested in. Sounds like it's pretty stout. I'm waiting for mine, so all I can do is talk and read about if for now.

We need more pictures if you've got any.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    >>stiffer?
    Hard to put a number on it, I'm sure Yeti will figure out is some % stiffer, which is enough for me. Just so hard to compare unless you can find 2 identical bikes; wheels, cranks, etc... I will say I did a new ride tonight that required a 10 mile road ride to the trail head, then a 2 mile switchback climb. You would have never thought you did that first 12 miles on a 6" travel bike it pedaled so well. Was it stiffness, was it good suspension design, a good shock...? I don't know, but when it finally was time for the 7 miles of downhill singletrack I was wishing I had brought some pads, it was so fast and fun and the bike was so solid, point it and hold any line you want. Coming off a 100mm XC bike and a 200mm DH bike, the SB-66 seems to have captured the best of both.

>>More pictures if you have them
    All my pictures look just like the ones on bikeradar and the other sites, but here you go... for me truly a dream bike and worth the wait.

Click the pictures for the full size detail.

Last edited by MTBMike Colorado; 04-24-2012 at 10:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Mike, could you post pics of how much room is left between tire and chain/seatstays? Thanks.

(absolutely lovely bike!)

edit: what size is your frame?
    ~ Too weird to live, too rare to die ~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    As soon as they're available and in stock at Jenson's I'm going to sell my 66a and grab one.
    why?, what improvements are you looking at?

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    why?, what improvements are you looking at?
    Stiffness and bling.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    bling.
    Don't lie. This is the only reason you are upgrading. Ha.

Sent from my mobile telephone.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evil zlayo View Post
    Mike, could you post pics of how much room is left between tire and chain/seatstays? Thanks.
    edit: what size is your frame?
    Got in some mud yesterday and today for a bit, no worries; looks like 1.5cm all the way around to me.

Large frame; I keep hearing 26lbs for the stock build, so I can see I added 3lbs to mine going a little more freeride with the dropper, etc… My weighed 29.2 on the bathroom scale, ready to ride.

Video of that plush Switch suspension

2012 April - Boy Scout Trail - Glenwood Springs on Vimeo

Had never done this feature before so rolled in kind of slow but the landing felt smooth even if it didn’t look it.

clearance pics (I feel myself turning into a FanBoy getting out the ruler...)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Shattered. Made the trip over to the US for a holiday and to pick up an SB-66C. When I ordered the bike, Jenson listed the delivery for the 7th of April, that slipped to the 25th. Continued to check with Jenson and found out this morning that it won't be dropping until the 24th of May.

Devastated would be an understatement. Has anybody else been advised of delays?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are you seriously sporting a Moots jersey while popping the cherry on a new SB-66c?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Sick build MTBMike!

What front rings you running? 24/36?
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Has anyone received the black/turquoise 66c's yet? I've only been seeing black/grey frames in photos. Are the turquoise frames coming in a later batch?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swade View Post
    Has anyone received the black/turquoise 66c's yet? I've only been seeing black/grey frames in photos. Are the turquoise frames coming in a later batch?
    Mine should be here in less than 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    sic build

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Fingers crossed, hope to get mine end of next month.

MTBMike Colorado, where did you get those clips for the dropper hose/FD cable hose?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxyserv View Post
    where did you get those clips for the dropper hose/FD cable hose?
    Not sure about the ones pictured, but try these...

NEW Jagwire Rotating Cable Cross / S-Hook, Box 4 pcs | eBay

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lachapr View Post
    Mine should be here in less than 2 weeks.
    When did you order yours? Is it through lbs or online?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swade View Post
    When did you order yours? Is it through lbs or online?
    Ordered: 4/23/12 - LBS - expecting the week of May 7th. In know of a particular online retailer that has a medium - black in stock. PM me if you want more info... I was chatting with them as I thought my Mavic Crossmax ST rims were going to work on my SB-66c that I purchased from them in Jan. - unfortunately, I have the 2011s - no can do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti-j View Post
    Are you seriously sporting a Moots jersey while popping the cherry on a new SB-66c?
    Sure, I’ll let my wife know besides the new bike, I have to buy all new cycling clothes after getting called out on-line. Even worse, someone asked me what bike I got and I told them a Yeti-YBB, I’ll never get my fanboy status at this rate.

Yeti gear on the list…

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    What front rings you running? 24/36?
    26 inner, 38 outer, 11-36 - I could see going the 24 inner, but it’s still early season for me so I’m waiting to see if midseason fitness will make the 26 the money gear.

Full build
    • Full XTR 2x10 Trail
    • Float 36 at 150mm
    • Stan's Flow Rims/Hope Pro 2
    • Reverb
    • Thompson Stem/Haven Carbon Bar
    • MRP 2x ChainGuide
    • Schwalbe Racing Ralph/Nobby Nick (Seems like it could take something bigger)

Quote Originally Posted by Proxyserv View Post
    MTBMike Colorado, where did you get those clips for the dropper hose/FD cable hose?
    IDK, this is the first complete new bike I’ve bought from a LBS in over 20 years and it was their spec. So nice to a have a pro shop that just does everything exactly how you would want done yourself. Every clip, bolt, part spec, suspension tune, etc… was perfect. Earned my business… Single Track Factory | Denver, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast