Who is John Galt?

Any nightriding Yetis out there?

Anyone ride their yeti at night? I'm really thinking about giving it a try, by the time I get off work it's the only option this time of year and my weekends all seem to be full of other stuff. Just how scary is it? I manage to hurt myself enough in the daylight...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yes! It is a ton of fun. I find it also makes a familiar trail seem different.

If you get yourself a good light, take it easy and carry a cellphone its not to scary. Maybe you have someone you can ride with too. You wanna experience freaky. When your out night riding in the woods and stop for a break, shut off your light and be very quiet. Its amazing what you start to hear and the tricks your head plays on you.
    Last edited by trailbrain; 10-11-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have been think about trying it.. I am a little put off by the price of the lights.. I might get a Sigma EvoX to give it a try...
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-11-2006 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I nightride my 575 every Wednesday night over the winter here in the UK. It makes old trails come alive. Stick to trails you know well, at least at first, and you shouldn't go wrong. I use a Lumicycle 20 watt halogen. Many of the folk I ride with use HIDs. It all depends how much you want to spend, and how far ahead you want to see!

Go for it!

Hi!!!
    I'm starting my third season of night riding, but I haven't ridden the Yeti yet at night (in fact I haven't ridden her in like two weeks!!!! ).

I have a cheapo 10w NiteRider bar and helmet combo. Definately not as bright as landing lights, but they suffice for those 1-2 hour night jaunts during the winter.

Some advice...
    * Stick to trails you are very familiar with. No need to go off to the boonies to explore at 8pm in the middle of January.
    * Be visible to other users (reflective clothing, rear light).
    * Let someone know where you are going and your ETA.
    * Be competent enough to take care of usual breakdowns like flat tires and broken chains.
    * Bring a backup light (I use a Petzl Tikka headlamp as my backup).
    * Proper clothing, food, etc.
    * Go slower and be prepared to encounter anything on the trail like other users or wildlife or obstacles that may appear out of nowhere.
    * Don't blind other folks as you approach 'em, I at least try to cover my bar mounted light with my hand if I am approaching other trail users.

Uhhh I think that's it for now.

I night ride on my road bike and singlespeed. I lost my mount that would fit over fat 31.8 bars like the Race Face I have on my 575, but I already lost it and the original bar mount only fits skinny bars like on my SS.

mtbr member
    I LOVE nightriding on the Yeti. Old trails become new, and the Yeti helps correct any high speed mistakes the lack of depth perception may cause. Never scared, but then I have only ridden in groups.

Ant

mtbr member
    night riding is good. doesn't matter if it's on a yeti or anything else.

good advice belay slave

mtbr member
    Biggest thing I'd recommend, others have said, bring a cell phone, and let someone know where you are and when you'll be back. The chances of someone happening upon you if you are hurt are a slim at night - there just aren't going to be anywhere near as many people out.

Well, the other thing, should go without saying, but make sure you are legal to ride at night wherever you ride. Around where I live, there aren't many parks where it's legal.

As for trails you are familiar with... well it's good advice, but not cast in stone. First race I did on my Yeti was a 12-hour solo, with a midnight start on a course I'd never seen before. There where a few places that supprised me, where I could have gotten hurt - I really put it to the bike for saving me.

One thing that's really interesting/freaky is the number of eyes you see if you stop and scan along the sides of the trail. First time I went out at night I stopped at the top of a hill in a small clearing, and saw a pair of eyes just staring at me from across the field. I think it was a deer, I just caught her in my light (I was about a mile from the "Blair Witch House" though). You just don't see stuff like that durring the day. The sounds are also incredible... just don't go riding at night with someone with King hubs.

Who is John Galt?
    All good advice, what the heck, you only die twice. I'm intrigued by the Niterider bar/helmet set. This is what I've been looking for but haven't seen anything like this offered. Can anyone help with a set up like that? We have a great trail nearby that is open and I think it gets a lot of night use so a group is an option for me. As far as the cell phones go, I've yet to find a trail where they work. I think about that a lot as I tend to ride by myself and usually mid-week when no one is around. Tell yo uwhat, I'll post to the Yeti forum when I'm riding alone and if I never post again you guys can come drag my carcass out of the woods!

What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    for a light setup I've found bar-mounted lights to be of limited usefulness off-road. Any time you do a whoop-dee (g-out or whatever you call it), or ride over a log or rock or almost any irregularity in the trail the light points high up for a second, then down really low... it leaves you blind for an instant whenever the bike isn't pretty much level. Add to that that the beam has to be pretty wide to account for being able to see past a curve in the trail.

I don't think a bar-light hurts anything, but if I had to choose between a seperate bar and helmet light and a more powerful helmet light (with no bar), I'd go with the helmet.

Word of caution on helmet lights though: I've never seen a really good mount. I thought it was an issue with my helmets, as the light moved around. Posted this over on the endurance forum and someone suggested getting some additional velcro straps from a fabric store. This is absoloutly essential! It's weird, my cateye light clearly has provisions for a second strap running front to back on the mount, and you pretty much need this to steady the light, yet it didn't include a second strap.

mtbr member
    Bar lights are useful in that they help cast a visible shadow helping you better determine just how tall that root/drop/rut is (versus the helmet lights, which don't cast much visible shadow). A helmet light is best, but a bar light is helpful, too.

Ant

Who is John Galt?
    Is anyone running both bar and helmet lights? Seems like th ebest of both worlds but I wonder how this works? Two battery packs or a splitter off one?
    What, me hurry?

GTL
    mtbr member
    Big Jim; Since '92 I have run a Night Sun dual beam http://www.night-sun.com/ on the bars - yeah I know it is expensive but - it has lasted 14 years! Never had to replace a bulb and I have only replaced the battery once - 3 years ago! It is an awesome system. I also use a small LED helmet light from Cateye. The combo gives you both broad view and clarity with the bar light and the ability to see around the corner with the helmet light. The Night Sun has a water bottle battery set up and the helmet light is self contained with just 3 rechargeable AA batteries, (50 hrs rated on the AA's but I still carry spares). With just low beam on the NS I can get about 2.5 hrs - high beam is like daylight but it drains the battery in just over an hour.
    We do the Bicentennial trail every now and then at night as well as the Joplin trail - let me know when you are back in town.
    Only issue with nightriding is the Cobwebs and Armadillos - the rest is pure fun!
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    All good advice, what the heck, you only die twice. I'm intrigued by the Niterider bar/helmet set. This is what I've been looking for but haven't seen anything like this offered. Can anyone help with a set up like that? We have a great trail nearby that is open and I think it gets a lot of night use so a group is an option for me. As far as the cell phones go, I've yet to find a trail where they work. I think about that a lot as I tend to ride by myself and usually mid-week when no one is around. Tell yo uwhat, I'll post to the Yeti forum when I'm riding alone and if I never post again you guys can come drag my carcass out of the woods!

I found some really cheap lights here: http://www.ledshoppe.com/

I bought 2 of these: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP3002.htm and my plan is the mount them to my helmet. The vents are situated perfectly so that I can mount one on each side of the middle vent.

I haven't yet gone for a night time spin but plan to soon. The trails around here have lots of trees and LOTS of spiders that like stringing between the trees. I did go night riding a few years ago though with 2 mini mag lights strapped to my helmet and a smaller bike light. It wasn't really bright but for a make shift ride it was a blast.

Be advised, if you order those LED lights on that website they are very cheap! They are bright and work ok but the mounts suck big time so you will have to be resourceful. But $10 to find out if you like it is not a bad price.

mtbr member
    Ivi,
    I have one of those lights and I know they are not enough for night trail riding. I would use it as a back-up light, but as a main light you will be VERY limited at how fast you'll be able to ride, and will be nervous with the low amounts of light you'll have, even w/ the two. Bright lights are very liberating. I use my $5 light on my commuter, mainly as a light that the cars can see. It's a great light for $5.

Ant

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTL
    Big Jim; Since '92 I have run a Night Sun dual beam http://www.night-sun.com/ on the bars - yeah I know it is expensive but - it has lasted 14 years! Never had to replace a bulb and I have only replaced the battery once - 3 years ago! It is an awesome system. I also use a small LED helmet light from Cateye. The combo gives you both broad view and clarity with the bar light and the ability to see around the corner with the helmet light. The Night Sun has a water bottle battery set up and the helmet light is self contained with just 3 rechargeable AA batteries, (50 hrs rated on the AA's but I still carry spares). With just low beam on the NS I can get about 2.5 hrs - high beam is like daylight but it drains the battery in just over an hour.
    We do the Bicentennial trail every now and then at night as well as the Joplin trail - let me know when you are back in town.
    Only issue with nightriding is the Cobwebs and Armadillos - the rest is pure fun!
    Where did you get your Night Sun, hadn't heard of these. I just missed out on a group purchase of Jet lights that GORC (Gateway Off-Road Cyclists) did. they say Jet knocks 30 percent off for group buys. I think I cleared all the spiders off Bicentennial for you guys, left the 'dillos though.
    What, me hurry?

GTL
    mtbr member
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTL
    I think I've discovered the source of the Hornet Spook Light!
    What, me hurry?

GTL
    mtbr member
    Finally busted after all these years! My great, great grandpappy, Virgil, used to use a candle and a jam jar taped to the bar of his high wheeler - still have that jam jar somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dude, There is absolutely no way that I would ride a Yeti after dark.

Its a well known fact that the Yeti uses the winter months as their mating season. Those things are big, and I wouldnt want to piss off a male yeti by riding his mate. I cant see very well in the dark, which is why I frown apon riding them at night. In the daylight, at least I would be able to see the Yeti getting ready to kick my ass. Not only that, my girlfriend would be devastated if I were cheating on her with a Yeti. So, in the interest of self preservation, I will never ride a Yeti at night.

mtbr member

When night riding...

I leave the 575 at home and take the SS.... less parts = less likely for something to break... i use an LED lighting system for the helmet and handlebar...