Thread: Another Ozark

Who is John Galt?

Another Ozark

Here's some photos of my latest ride I took Monday on the spectacular Middle Fork section of the Ozark Trail. This section was adopted by the Gateway Off-Road Cyclists and it sure shows. Trail is so well engineered you can ride it while it's raining and hardly know it's wet. The hills are designed so you hardly know you are going up and the downs are very fast and twisty. My only complaint is it's so manicured there's nothing to challenge my 5 inches of travel!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What, me hurry?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Seems like a sweet trail.... well if the 575 is not challenged there.. maybe you can give it another shot with a rigid singlespeed (well maybe an SS HT)

Easy trails are always nice to ride when the weather sucks (like winter) so you can keep going without much stopping.

Sweet pics BTW

Cheers

Who is John Galt?
    There's a big SS contingent in the St. Louis area so a lot of the trails around here are designed that way -- however, they seem to ride everything, not sure how they get those gearless rides up hills I can't clear with 27...
    What, me hurry?

Hi!!!
    I run 32x20 on my SS and I'm always suprised at what I can grunt up without popping off and pushing. But when the going gets steep I always get off and push.

Nice pix btw. Our local trails are treeless save for some stuff here and there (mainly sections of Military Reserve).

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah.. sometimes I surprise myself too, nevertheless other times I have to push.. but I manage with 32 x 18.. I have a 20 around that I haven't tried.. might put in on one of these days...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Did you ride it as an out and back (50 miles) or did you park a car??? When I went to Potosi last month we saw the Ozark Trail and It looked interesting, but too long unsupported. I love those Missouri switchbacks.

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    Did you ride it as an out and back (50 miles) or did you park a car??? When I went to Potosi last month we saw the Ozark Trail and It looked interesting, but too long unsupported. I love those Missouri switchbacks.
    I thought about you when I was riding -- this would have been the trail for you, real manicured and with a nice bed of leaves under it right now! I just did 10 miles out and back. Have heard from others who ride this often and they say it gets progressively tougher as you go along. They all referred to "The Mountain", didn't get that far. come back and we'll ride this one.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member

Excellent contrast

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Here's some photos of my latest ride I took Monday on the spectacular Middle Fork section of the Ozark Trail. This section was adopted by the Gateway Off-Road Cyclists and it sure shows. Trail is so well engineered you can ride it while it's raining and hardly know it's wet. The hills are designed so you hardly know you are going up and the downs are very fast and twisty. My only complaint is it's so manicured there's nothing to challenge my 5 inches of travel!
    The Yeti team color looks great with the leaves around!.

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    The Yeti team color looks great with the leaves around!.
    Yeah, the light was just beautiful that day. Some kind of front was going through and the wind got to blowing real hard. The big tree tops were dancing around, pretty spooky especially where the trail had been cleared of dozens of giant oaks from a summer tornado. When I went out most of the trees had leaves, on the way back there was a foot of leaves on the trail! Also some big "widow maker" limbs that I'm glad fell while I wasn't there. Fall is a really nice time to ride in Missouri.
    What, me hurry?