mtbr member

Am I a minority?

I built mine and RRB's 575 to be good climbers which means:
    Light wheelset with light-ish tires (as light as Kenda 2.35's can be)
    Parts that break are always replaced with lighter stuff...
    Don't get me wrong, we love the way this bike descends the rough and steep stuff but dang, we enjoy climbing on equally as much if not more!
    Anyone else build their 575's to climb like a monkey on crack?

RRB showing the boys how to climb steps on Porc Rim
    Me on Amasa Back
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweet pics!

It is all about finding a balance... I also try to keep it as light as possible, but being a clyde (for now ) I can only go so far... I just upgraded to the 575 from a Specialized Epic, so climbing is still very important to me. however I got a Pike in the switch to the 575, and I love it... so sometimes heavier components are added (same story with my current carbon bar).

Anyhow I don't think you are a minority.. I guess we all look for a durability/weight/price balance in our builds, so that we can climb easily and have fun on the way down too

mtbr member
    flip. i have a friend in town for november. he's a good rider...pretty strong climber (way faster than me). anyway, he got in yesterday. i let him ride the 575 (pretty much stock enduro), and i rode the IF.

he said it was "heavy" relative to his hardtail. so, the climbing isn't the most enjoyable thing.

i did get a conversion kit for some crossmax xls...that i'm going to put on the 575. as soon as i get some bigger tires for that wheelset. it should lighten it up and make climbing better.

he made it up everything to 3 bears...and he ripped it down 3 bears - made the climb worth it.

in boise (and other places where there's lots of climbing involved). i think it pays off to have a lighter (but still durable) build on the 575.

further. we're going to shuttle eastside/connie saturday if you're interested.

and, i sent you a pm about singlespeed last week some time. did you get that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    flip. i have a friend in town for november. he's a good rider...pretty strong climber (way faster than me). anyway, he got in yesterday. i let him ride the 575 (pretty much stock enduro), and i rode the IF.

he said it was "heavy" relative to his hardtail. so, the climbing isn't the most enjoyable thing.

i did get a conversion kit for some crossmax xls...that i'm going to put on the 575. as soon as i get some bigger tires for that wheelset. it should lighten it up and make climbing better.

he made it up everything to 3 bears...and he ripped it down 3 bears - made the climb worth it.

in boise (and other places where there's lots of climbing involved). i think it pays off to have a lighter (but still durable) build on the 575.

further. we're going to shuttle eastside/connie saturday if you're interested.

and, i sent you a pm about singlespeed last week some time. did you get that?
    Man, I wasn't a big climbing fan of the 575 when I first got it. I sold the XT/819 to another 575 owner and swapped the XTR wheelset from the Fuel and it just transformed the bike. Fortunately, I'm light enough to not have to worry about the flex a superlight wheelset may have. Where did you get the Crossmax XL's? Good price?
    Man, not sure about Saturday, I begin traveling to work again next week (Northern VA) and I need to get some stuff ready so the weekend is probably pretty booked.
    Let me check my PM's again.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

I'm with ya'

I actually splurged and got the Pro Kit right from the start. 27lbs out of the box (for a large, pedals included). I paid dearly but am glad I did. The only thing I swapped out was the skinny tires that came with the pro kit for somehing wider and beefier. Being "aerobically challenged," I'll take a little help climbing when I can get it. Going light only enhances the 575s technical climbing ability.

Loved the Porc pic. I recently made my first pilgimage to Moab and recall vividly the spot where your pic was taken. I took the same line and, thanks in part to the 575 (I don't consider myself a highly accomplished technical rider), was one of very few who made it. Given the length of that climb and its consistently technical nature, the "light 575" proved to be the perfect bike. Making it light in no way impeded me from ripping the downhill that finishes what is now my favorite trail on the planet.

Unfortunately, we were rained out after that day, so I'll just have to try my luck on Amasa on my next pilgrimage.

Oh, by the way, home base is in the Colorado Front Range. All our rides are up, up, up, to start followed by down, down, down, to finish. Again, the "light 575" fits the bill perfectly.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

In my mind, I can do it!
    I'm too poor to put really light components on my bike so I spend $15 a month for a cheap gym membership and work out my legs....

trail "cleaner"

30 pounds of pure pleasure

Both of my 575's are sitting at 30-31 pounds sportin' BIG fattie tires (but under 900 grams each) and the climb up Amassa Back and Porcupine rim were a snap. To me, having the awesome traction of sticky rubber along with the suspension set at mid-platform position of the RP3 takes a load off of the rest of my body always trying to recover balance and constantly adjusting body positions.
    No dabs allowed!