mtbr member

Am I Cool Now? Check out my new 575!

seems like there are more and more yetis in the boise front nowadays

it's over 100 degrees in boise right now..supposed to get up to 105 or thereabouts...so this evening, i'll take it out for the first ride and take some trail pics...

earthpig..you need one of these...c'mon man

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Looks awesome!!

Enjoy it,
    Cris

mtbr member
    nice i wanted the orange too but the team color was built up and ready to go and i was too impatient to wait for the orange to come in. let me know what you think of that pike too, i am thinking of throwing one of those on mine

Adobo Lover
    sweet. enjoy
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Hi!!!
    Damn garnetspur --- you got hooked up with the carbon fiber swingarm!!! NICE!!! Congrats on the bike!

We'll all have to get our bikes together for a 208 Tribe pic!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member

Ran into Flip and RRB

in the boise foothills tonight. lots of yeti talk goin' on. i just got in a short ride, because it was 105 in boise today...so, i waited 'til the sun dropped a bit and then headed out.

anyway....first impressions...i won't bore y'all with what i think i need to adjust...i think i know what i want to play with for a better ride.

i'm coming from a steel hardtail (IF Deluxe) and i've ridden nothing but hardtails since i started riding in 1995 or so. the climbing is different. not as easy.. or at least..i made it harder than it should be...not just because of the added weight...i just feel like i was trying too hard does that make sense? it's just not as responsive as my IF..and i know it's not meant to be...but, anyway...climbing will take some getting used to for me. i think it'll just take a few rides to relax and spin it out.

in fact..i felt like i was getting more and more comfortable as the climbing went along...not a lot of climbing tonight...but still, i felt like i was getting a comfort level. guess it's just different...as to be expected...

now..on to the important stuff...the downhill on hulls gulch was very nice. best way to describe it is i just pointed the bike and let it ride. the rock sections that bounce me around on the IF are nothing on the 575. i definately think this bike will give me the confidence to go a little faster and harder.

very happy as i thought i would be. now i just need to get a 575 for my wife. i think she'll give me the green light before long.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 07-23-2006 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member

Congrats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    in the boise foothills tonight. lots of yeti talk goin' on. i just got in a short ride, because it was 105 in boise today...so, i waited 'til the sun dropped a bit and then headed out.

anyway....first impressions...i won't bore y'all with what i think i need to adjust...i think i know what i want to play with for a better ride.

i'm coming from a steel hardtail (IF Deluxe) and i've ridden nothing but hardtails since i started riding in 1995 or so. the climbing is different. not as easy.. or at least..i made it harder than it should be...not just because of the added weight...i just feel like i was trying too hard does that make sense? it's just not as responsive as my IF..and i know it's not meant to be...but, anyway...climbing will take some getting used to for me. i think it'll just take a few rides to relax and spin it out.

in fact..i felt like i was getting more and more comfortable as the climbing went along...not a lot of climbing tonight...but still, i felt like i was getting a comfort level. guess it's just different...as to be expected...

now..on to the important stuff...the downhill on hulls gulch was very nice. best way to describe it is i just pointed the bike and let it ride. the rock sections that bounce me around on the IF are nothing on the 575. i definately think this bike will give me the confidence to go a little faster and harder.

very happy as i thought i would be. now i just need to get a 575 for my wife. i think she'll give me the green light before long.
    I come from a similar experience and a Steel HT for the last 9 years and can understand what you are reffering to. You'll probably play a bit with the set up and soon discover that the Yeti climbs better the technical sections. There may be other terrains where you'll miss your HT from time to time but I guess it will happen less with time. I put about 150miles on my 575 on different terrains and still busy with optimizing the suspension. Also I can not say that by now I am very confident in my new ride. Yes I can bomb now through rocky downhill sections and somtimes feel the trail disapears beneath, but I find myself more carfull. This may has to do with getting used to the bike but also with some loss of handling and predictability.
    Anyway, enjoy your new ride
    GB

mtbr member

Congrats!

great ride & great color!
    each ride gets better and better.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Climb seated most of the time on the 575. It actually is a very accomplished cilmber and significantly superior to a HT in technical climbing. I came from a hardtail too (5-6 years of HT riding) and after riding high quality FS bikes like the 575, I have never wished I had a HT again. The important thing is to set up your suspension correctly or you will feel too bouncy or too squishy. Set your sag at 25% and climb seated.

Congrats! You have a great ride though you still may not be cool

Your ride is though

mtbr member

Her he is...

On the maiden ride...
    Coming from riding mostly SS to the Yeti, it does take a while to get used to climbing on the Yeti. For the trails around here, I ride the PP at the firmest or middle setting (I open it up for the DH's). It does climb very well standing up at those settings. It took me about 3 weeks to get the flow of climbing on the 575 but only 1 ride to dig and dial in the downhill handling... However, I was tweaking with the air pressures (front and back) for about a month before settling in on what worked best for me and the way I ride... Have FUN with it... and convert that IF into SS...hehe
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

I forgot to add

Wipe that sh!t eating grin off your face! hehe....

mtbr member

smooth trail

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    On the maiden ride...
    Coming from riding mostly SS to the Yeti, it does take a while to get used to climbing on the Yeti. For the trails around here, I ride the PP at the firmest or middle setting (I open it up for the DH's). It does climb very well standing up at those settings. It took me about 3 weeks to get the flow of climbing on the 575 but only 1 ride to dig and dial in the downhill handling... However, I was tweaking with the air pressures (front and back) for about a month before settling in on what worked best for me and the way I ride... Have FUN with it... and convert that IF into SS...hehe
    for climbing smooth trails like the one in the photo, you defintly don't need the 575.
    Look for the rougher staff.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    earthpig..you need one of these...c'mon man
    Carey - Nice new steed!! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I remember my first squishy ride on my Superlight in 2003 after being a steel hardtail holdout for years - I felt like I could ride over anything.

As for my "need" for a 575, I crunched the numbers and I'm definitely going to have to wait until next spring at the earliest. I'll have to "make do" with the X-5 until then!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Yep, you're cool now.

Nice ride. OState Orange was my second choice, but the Team Turq was too distinctive for me to pass up. You will love that Pike up front.

Who is John Galt?
    I know what you mean on the climbing, I had a little trouble with that. I need to figure out how to change the shock and fork without losing my momentum. Finally figured keeping in the saddle worked best. As far as the gnarly rocky sections go, I started out picking the best line and then said, what the heck and ran over everything in my path. No sweat on this beast!
    What, me hurry?