Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    65

    Advice Needed: Yeti SB5 and Pivot Mach 5.5

    I just ordered a 2017 Yeti SB5 but it hasn't arrived yet and now the new Pivot 5.5 gets released. The geometry is nearly identical except the longer reach on the Pivot. Am I being paranoid or should I take long look at the Pivot before the Yeti arrives? I doubt that I will have a chance to demo one any time soon as it was just released. My concern is that the Yeti won't be able to handle true all mountain trails and that the 140mm travel would be nice. However, i know the SB5 was raced enduro so it can be made to be very capable pointed down hill.

    Help me out here guys.

  2. #2
    Leash Law Enforcer
    Reputation: Pinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,104
    Obviously haven't ridden the Pivot since it was just released. Looks like a sweet well thought out bike though.

    I ride a sb5c v1. Awesome ride. I'm still constantly amazed by it. It is much more capable than I am and I find myself pushing my limits on it regularly. A very confidence inspiring ride.

    Numbers are pretty similar on the two. I think the real difference is going to be in the feel of the rear suspension. The switch infinity is just so good. It's hard to explain. I've hopped around on a number of bikes and I prefer the switch infinity over all other rear suspensions. It rides the way I like to ride, doesn't get hung up and doesn't feel like you're using all the travel. But that's just it - it's very much a personal preference thing.

    I don't think you'd be disappointed with either but I also think the switch infinity is worth the go. If it were me I'd go for the sb5.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by tgandrews87 View Post
    I just ordered a 2017 Yeti SB5 but it hasn't arrived yet and now the new Pivot 5.5 gets released. The geometry is nearly identical except the longer reach on the Pivot. Am I being paranoid or should I take long look at the Pivot before the Yeti arrives? I doubt that I will have a chance to demo one any time soon as it was just released. My concern is that the Yeti won't be able to handle true all mountain trails and that the 140mm travel would be nice. However, i know the SB5 was raced enduro so it can be made to be very capable pointed down hill.

    Help me out here guys.
    Cancel your order and get an Sb 5.5 instead, problem solved


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,431
    The new Pivot looks great and should be a ripper. If you think the SB5 can't handle anything the Mach 5.5 can though you're kidding yourself. They are both awesome bikes and you can't really go wrong with either one.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    33
    Admittedly I am a Yeti guy, but my local shop carries both Yeti and Pivot. I've ridden both the 5.5 and the 5 and the Mach 6. I would also agree with the previous comments that you really can't go wrong with either. Pivots seem to be more plush and floaty, Yeti bikes are more surgical and precise feeing - IMHO. The big difference - aside from rear suspension design and geometry - is that the Pivot has accommodations for the Di2 system and the upcoming mystery Fox suspension.

    Pivot also has a ton more build kit options for all of their bikes. I feel that you can't make a bad decision from these two choices, not at all.
    ...on the run from Johnny Law, ain't no trip to Cleveland.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by saltzzz View Post
    Cancel your order and get an Sb 5.5 instead, problem solved


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm not interested in a 29er at this time. I've had them in the past and while not bad I prefer 27.5.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by saltzzz View Post
    Cancel your order and get an Sb 5.5 instead, problem solved


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by DeskoFipps View Post
    Admittedly I am a Yeti guy, but my local shop carries both Yeti and Pivot. I've ridden both the 5.5 and the 5 and the Mach 6. I would also agree with the previous comments that you really can't go wrong with either. Pivots seem to be more plush and floaty, Yeti bikes are more surgical and precise feeing - IMHO. The big difference - aside from rear suspension design and geometry - is that the Pivot has accommodations for the Di2 system and the upcoming mystery Fox suspension.

    Pivot also has a ton more build kit options for all of their bikes. I feel that you can't make a bad decision from these two choices, not at all.
    Funny thing is I own a Mach 6 and really like it for the most part. I also like how stout they are despite mine only weighing 28 lbs. I don't expect to use Di2 but I think many of us are waiting to see the new Fox shock.

    At the same time I'm really quick on the SB5 and love how that bike accelerates. As others have said both are good bikes and can't really go wrong with either. But when you get up to a 6k bike you want it to be nearly prefect.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    712
    Wait, what new FOX shock?

    PS. Either bike should be killer btw.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    65
    Not sure what it's called but the electric terrain sensing shock is the one I'm referring to.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Wait, what new FOX shock?

    PS. Either bike should be killer btw.
    Apparently, it will interface with an accelerometer. Pretty sure I'd pass on that. Sounds like something Specialized would sign up for.

    As for which....buy both.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Apparently, it will interface with an accelerometer. Pretty sure I'd pass on that. Sounds like something Specialized would sign up for.

    As for which....buy both.
    Agreed, the last thing i really want for my MTB is to be dependent on a battery for shifting and suspension.

    I just received the Yeti bike today and I'm going to be keeping it. The Pivot is probably a great bike but I just love the heck out of the SB5.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,302
    I have a Mach 6 as well (love it) but since it's already 160mm up front, I can't rationalize why the Mach 5.5 would have been a good buy since it's 160mm as well, especially since you would run it at 27.5

    I had the V1 SB5 and that bike could do it all. Only bike I ever regret selling and if they start getting blown out at year end by BC/CC, I'll be getting another one. They are especially enticing now that several guys are successfully & happily running plus size tires with no issues. Good luck with the new Yeti!!
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

  13. #13
    ZEN RIDER!
    Reputation: Mt.Biker E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have a Mach 6 as well (love it) but since it's already 160mm up front, I can't rationalize why the Mach 5.5 would have been a good buy since it's 160mm as well, especially since you would run it at 27.5
    That was my thought as well. I have a bike with a 36 Fox and was looking for a fun capable trail bike with modern geometry. I was hoping for Pivots version of the Calling; a lb lighter and with the better carbon lay up.
    Life in every breath

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    That was my thought as well. I have a bike with a 36 Fox and was looking for a fun capable trail bike with modern geometry. I was hoping for Pivots version of the Calling; a lb lighter and with the better carbon lay up.
    I agree that pivot got too close to the Mach 6. The 5.5 is really a true all mountain bike that will neither be the fastest up or down but all around capable. After a few good days of riding on the SB5c I'm happy with my decision. The Yeti is extremely capable due to the geometry and fork size.

Similar Threads

  1. Advice Needed: Yeti SB5 or Pivot Mach 5.5
    By tgandrews87 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-20-2017, 03:44 PM
  2. Sell or Trade Yeti SB5 for Yeti SB5.5
    By cmeride in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM
  3. Sb5 Enduro vs Custom sb5
    By dgregorie in forum Yeti
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM
  4. anyone actually compare a sb5.5 to a sb5????
    By jayoutside in forum Yeti
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 12:20 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 156

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •