Takin'er easy

A Year of Racing Enduro on Yeti's SB-95

Go-Ride’s own Kris “Krispy” Baughman raced Yeti’s SB-95 through the 2012 enduro season. Not only did Kris crush his personal bests on his local trails, he was also able to better every time at every race he entered. On that bike he finished third out of 90 at our Super D at Sundance Resort, fourth at the 2012 Colorado Freeride enduro (more on that below), third at our Super D at Brian Head resort, and third at the 2012 enduro in Moab on The Whole Enchilada.

Here's a video thanks to Mike Gunn:

Since it’s winter and we’re all desperate for that racing adrenaline, here’s Krispy’s story (more or less) about his race in Winter Park at the 2012 Colorado Freeride Festival enduro, or, as Kris called it at the time, a Trail Bike World Cup.

“After three gravity fed stages on day one, including a chainless run to open the festivities, the second day had two longer stages with significantly more pedaling.

“I was racing my SB-95 (see my experience on that bike here). It’s no secret that I barely outweigh my son’s hamster, so I didn’t fare too well in the opening chainless stage, rolling in ninth in the old man non-pro category. During the next two gravity-fed stages I made up time, moving from seventh to fifth.

“Day two. Body sore. Lots of long, rough descents peppered with searing climbs to come. While the SB-95 gave up a bit on day one, it was gonna shine on day two. My friend Tony sat ahead of me by seven seconds going into the last stage, which was a staggered mass start based on race times, meaning Tony would start and I would be sent chasing after him seven seconds later.

“Tony usually wears a smile and carries himself with the distinguished disposition of a southern gentleman. But this wasn’t iced tea on the porch; this was racing. Tony walked up to me before the stage and said steely eyed, ‘If you want it, you’re gonna have to take it.’

“The last stage descended almost three thousand feet with climbs in the middle. Total stage time was in the 25-minute range. The Yeti SB95 was in heaven. After the first loose shaley descent I had Tony in my sights for the climb, which was steep and narrow with stair-steps squeezed in for painful anaerobic surges. I reeled him in when we reached a narrow section of trail with three large steps on the left. I went for the outside stair-step pass, getting my front wheel ahead of Tony before starting to tip over toward him. My elbow caught his hip. I was still surging, but Tony went down to the side. I managed to straighten my bars and keep it upright, surging ahead for the top of the climb. I gave the rest of that climb all I had, knowing Tony would be charging to catch me on the descent.

“By the time I crested the climb I was seeing all sorts of colors in my periphery. Blues, purples, greens. Stars, circles, squares. I just kept it pinned, but I kept expecting to wake up on the side of the trail in a daze.

“The long twisting descent was technical, but not as steep as the previous day. There was one more long climb, but it wasn’t as steep as the first one on that stage. I knew I had three more guys to catch, and I was catching the first of them as we neared the finish. As we neared the final long flat straightaway, I passed the guy on the inside right and spun with everything I had left for the finish. The guy was able to jump on the wheel of my SB-95 and ride it to within sight of the finish, where he got around me and chooched me for the podium.

"Fourth. Shoot, darn, shoot!”

If you’ve made it this far the story, you may or may not be interested in a killer deal on a Yeti SB-95. If so, we have some deals on our leftover Yeti SB-95’s from 2013.

SB-95 w/ Enduro Kit
    SB-95 w/ Race Kit
    SB-95 Carbon w/ Race Kit
    Go-Ride Demo SB-95’s
    Last edited by Joss DeWaele; 02-04-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Didn't like original thread title