D93
    banned
    Oct 2011

Adjustable headset on 2011 575.

I'm thinking of adding an adjustable headset to my 575 to give it another degree of rake. I know this is going to change the rest of the geometry of the bike, specifically bottom bracket height. I found a great deal on a set of fox 160 forks that I was planning on shimming down to 150. I'm wondering if i could, or even should shim them a bit longer to get the stock geometry back after adding the additional rake.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Are you looking at slackening your HA or realy making it adjustable (did not know adjustability was possible at all)?.

D93
    banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    Are you looking at slackening your HA or realy making it adjustable (did not know adjustability was possible at all)?.
    Slackening the HA by a degree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D93 View Post
    Slackening the HA by a degree.
    Not sure if you can find this off the shelf? but PM SAARG7 from the Turner forum and he may sell you one.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    Not sure if you can find this off the shelf? but PM SAARG7 from the Turner forum and he may sell you one.
    Cane Creek AngleSet, my friend. Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hmmm, I'm in the same boat
    Anyone running an AngleSet on a 575? if so which one?

a degree less would make a great bike even better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Cool!. Thanks for sharing.

D93
    banned
    Oct 2011
    Going with a 36 Talas, I'm wondering if getting the non tapered steerer would be better for use with the AngleSet.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by D93 View Post
    Going with a 36 Talas, I'm wondering if getting the non tapered steerer would be better for use with the AngleSet.
    You should get the non tapered steerer. Look at the different sizes from Cane Creek, and you will see that the EC49 lower only takes straight steerers (from what I remember).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    another altertive

i've just fitted an off set bushing to the front of my RP23
    i got a set off flea-bay

couldn't fit the rear as firstly it was too wide, so i trimed it down, then found out that the shoulder of the shock fouled the dog bone link

these were the maximum offset type ones, ok on the front and you could probably go with a 1mm offset on the rear with no probs

went for a quick ride on local trails, not a massive diffence until i hit some decent corners, then felt the rear wheel carving out a bit more, which is exactly what i wanted

good on steep sections too

worth a try seeing as they are only about 30 bucks or so

as for the angleset option, i run one on my HD, tapered steerer, external lower, external upper, works out about -1.2 degrees

not sure what you would need with a 575 as the top is for a regular 1 1/18th,
    on the HD it's a 1 1/8th internal/campy style, so there is room for the offset when you go external

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Torwood View Post
    another altertive

i've just fitted an off set bushing to the front of my RP23
    i got a set off flea-bay

couldn't fit the rear as firstly it was too wide, so i trimed it down, then found out that the shoulder of the shock fouled the dog bone link

these were the maximum offset type ones, ok on the front and you could probably go with a 1mm offset on the rear with no probs

went for a quick ride on local trails, not a massive diffence until i hit some decent corners, then felt the rear wheel carving out a bit more, which is exactly what i wanted

good on steep sections too

worth a try seeing as they are only about 30 bucks or so

as for the angleset option, i run one on my HD, tapered steerer, external lower, external upper, works out about -1.2 degrees

not sure what you would need with a 575 as the top is for a regular 1 1/18th,
    on the HD it's a 1 1/8th internal/campy style, so there is room for the offset when you go external
    Hey! Torwood What size did you order for your 575 ,,I believe i need a 12.7mm x ?? 3degree offset frt. and 1mm offset rear? I have an 08 . Thanks
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked