mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Added a non-Yeti to the stable but.....

...it's the next forum

I stand a good chance of getting smacked around on this forum but I just had to pick up one of the two last 04 Ventana X-5 frames that Sherwood had left. I've always loved the X-5 though I have nothing but great things to say about the ASR-SL and the 575, especially since I own both. To build up the X-5 fast, I may have to sell one of the Yeti but impulsive as I am about buying bikes, I hate selling them and the thought makes me feel almost unwell.

Logic says sell the 575 since it is more like the X-5 than the ASR-SL. I don't know what I will end up doing though and at the least, I'll still have one Yeti.

I wanted the 04 because of the more XC-oriented geometry over the newer ones. I can hardly wait to compare the 575 and the X-5. My favorite option is to keep the X-5 frame and slowly build it up this year but can I stand to just watch it without riding it- that's the question. Here goes my 2006 financial plan down in flames

Bad Case of the Mondays
    The X-5 is a great bike no doubt. I personally didn't buy one due to the more XCish geometry, but its a very subjective thing. I just preferred the slacker angles of the Yeti for the steep stuff I ride in around here.

Congrats, even if it isn't a Yeti.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know what you mean about the 575 feeling good on the downhills- I have to see how the X-5 compares. It would be great to do a comparo on the same trail- ride one for a couple of hours and the other the next day. We have a pretty technical trail here and it flows up and down but there are no real downhills. However, I'll be back for a riding trip in CO this Fall and I'll take both bikes.

I am getting more serious about getting back to Colorado again. I hope to make it back permanently this year. I miss living there.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    ...it's the next forum

I stand a good chance of getting smacked around on this forum but I just had to pick up one of the two last 04 Ventana X-5 frames that Sherwood had left. I've always loved the X-5 though I have nothing but great things to say about the ASR-SL and the 575, especially since I own both. To build up the X-5 fast, I may have to sell one of the Yeti but impulsive as I am about buying bikes, I hate selling them and the thought makes me feel almost unwell.

Logic says sell the 575 since it is more like the X-5 than the ASR-SL. I don't know what I will end up doing though and at the least, I'll still have one Yeti.

I wanted the 04 because of the more XC-oriented geometry over the newer ones. I can hardly wait to compare the 575 and the X-5. My favorite option is to keep the X-5 frame and slowly build it up this year but can I stand to just watch it without riding it- that's the question. Here goes my 2006 financial plan down in flames
    I was wavering on the Ventana side for a while there too. I called about the 04' X-5 and they had like 2 left I believe. I got a chance to demo one and probably the most noteable thing is the stiffness. Honestly it feels like a hardtail but not hard riding. It was plush enough, but I didn't think it was as plush feeling as the 575. I didn't particularly care for the top tube mounted cables and I was really surprised at how huge the tubes were on that frame. It's a very hefty frame.

Why don't you just swap parts from the 575 to the X5 and ride it a while. You may decide to go back to the 575 and then you could just sell the X5 instead of getting rid of the 575 and later regretting it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I like the idea of just swapping parts over from the 575 and riding the X-5 for a while. I may also swap parts from my ASR-SL (similar build to the the 575) so I can ride the X-5 and 575 on alternate days to see which ride I truly prefer. The danger is that I will like them both and keep them all but I'm willing to deal with that horrible task

Just in case I sound like I'm getting ready to sell the 575- I'm not. I love that bike and the black Ano finish is sweet. It holds its own against anything out there and then some. I picked up one of the two 19" 04s they had left. I got the orange with the gold flakes in the clearcoat. There is the Grinch Green left.
    Last edited by Flyer; 06-02-2006 at 08:25 AM.