Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

95c - Fragile-looking rear hanger mount

The first thing I noticed when I went from a 95a frame to the 95c frame, is how flimsy, fragile and susceptible the rear chipset mounting feels.

It is only held on by two tiny allen screws, and never feels very secure. Of course the wheel / axle keeps everything in place and secure once it is tightened, but even when removing the rear wheel, it feels like it will snap off.

First off, is this common or do I need to buy a new chipset? The tiny 2mm allens are pretty hard to tighten, and I obviously don't want to go too tight anyway.

The very end-tab is fairly worn as well - see photo.

So, normal? Or do I have issues?

Worth noting: I have about 1700 miles on this frame.

95c - Fragile-looking rear hanger mount-img_7098.jpg
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

Chilling out
    Dunno about the carbon as I have alloy, but mine has been through heck and back and I haven't had to replace anything except the screws themselves.

If the carbon is anywhere in the same zone the overall structure would be well defended by the assembled-with alloy-chip parts, I'd guess, and be fine.

But, like I said, I only have the alloy.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Dunno about the carbon as I have alloy, but mine has been through heck and back and I haven't had to replace anything except the screws themselves.

If the carbon is anywhere in the same zone the overall structure would be well defended by the assembled-with alloy-chip parts, I'd guess, and be fine.

But, like I said, I only have the alloy.
    The carbon setup is different. I had an alloy too, and the overall setup was WAY more robust.
    Rokworth.com

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    So no one has noticed how flimsy-feeling the rear hanger mount feels? Mine moves from side to side with the wheel off.

I asked the guy I bought the frame from; he said he noticed the same thing when building the bike up new, asked the shop he bought it from, and they claimed its normal.

I still question that - curious if anyone else has the same concern / question.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine does the same. I wrapped a derr. around and chipped the tip a bit over a year ago. The screw never felt tight even when new. No issues at all. It worries me every time I remember is like that, but since I had no issues, I am ok with it. Wish they engineer a replacement cover for the assembly like the 95A.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FIKO View Post
    Mine does the same. I wrapped a derr. around and chipped the tip a bit over a year ago. The screw never felt tight even when new. No issues at all. It worries me every time I remember is like that, but since I had no issues, I am ok with it. Wish they engineer a replacement cover for the assembly like the 95A.
    Ok that's all I was looking for; 'was hoping it wasn't just me.

Horrible design.
    Rokworth.com