Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

575 washer-bearing-bearing-washer-shock set up?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chaser 
#1 ·
Holy crap! Just got my RP3 PUSH'd and that was an adventure getting the thing off. And then getting it back on was silly. Let's just say that taking out the four bearings at the top of the dog bone isn't wise. Hardest shock both my friend and I have run into getting back on a bike. It was all the dogbone's fault. Silly dog, no food for you!

One of the problems was that the shock seems to be floating in-between the two halfs of the dogbone. Looking on the Yeti site, it looks like there's supposed to be a single nylon washer between the shock and the bearing on each side. Mine didn't come with this. And after going for a ride, the shock has moved over to one side.

And I also noticed that the dogbone feels indexed when it's attached to the shock body and you move one of them. New bearings too, as the old ones felt indexed so I replaced them! Ha! Silly me, wasn't the bearings....

Anyone else ran into this? Or was I just having one of those extremely retarded Saturday mornings?

That said, the PUSH'd RP3 feels really, really nice. The three posistions actually seem to do things now and it just pedalled better up technical things. Of course, since the back felt so good, I discovered how crappy the Pike 454 felt on the front (only the second ride and haven't dialed it in yet).

Oni used a lot of four letter words yesterday

See less See more
#2 ·
you need the nylon washers!

Don't know how you got a frame without these in place?? But, you absolutely need one on each side of the shock between the shock body and the bearings within the dog leg. If not, you'll get side to side play and that can't be good for the long run. Are you sure they weren't there when you took the shock off of your bike???:confused:

#3 ·
Yup.

AZmtncycler said:
Don't know how you got a frame without these in place?? But, you absolutely need one on each side of the shock between the shock body and the bearings within the dog leg. If not, you'll get side to side play and that can't be good for the long run. Are you sure they weren't there when you took the shock off of your bike???:confused:
No idea how that happened. Wasn't thinking about it when I took it apart, but I left one of the double stack bearings on the shock shaft . When I was putting it back together, the nylon washer was VERY attached to the outside of the bearing. So attached had to peel it off with a razor blade and then reinstall on the new bearings. So I checked on the Yeti schematics, then emailed, and was then set straight.

So now I have to take the danged pain in the butt thing apart again. :mad:

Oni

#4 ·
If you use a threaded rod or long bolt and a nut you can just press the axle out. I like to push the axle out just far enough than the shock can come out and then when re installing it i can turn the assembly around and push it back in through the shock so i don't have to press the bearings on so far. Compared to the ASX it butta!

#5 ·
Oni said:
And I also noticed that the dogbone feels indexed when it's attached to the shock body and you move one of them. New bearings too, as the old ones felt indexed so I replaced them! Ha! Silly me, wasn't the bearings....

Anyone else ran into this? Or was I just having one of those extremely retarded Saturday mornings?
I've just fitted new bearing because the old ones felt quite stiff. However with the new ones installed, the bogbone feels even stiffer, simliar to the indexed feeling you described above. Is this due to the plastic washers, and is it normal?

#6 ·
stiff dog bone

The dogbone bearings feel indexed because they are an inteference fit onto the axel.

The bearings are so small that any deformation of the inner or outer circumference makes them feel indexed. This will not be detremental and you will not feel this on the bike.

The dog bone should not feel stiff to move though, if it does you have either :
1. pushed the bearings too far inboard and the washers are too tight against the bearings.
2. the pinch bolts that hold the bearings in the dog bone are too tight and are 'cruching' the bearing case.

You do need the washers between the bearings and shock or the shock will move over off centre on the axel.

Hope this helps.

Chaser.

#8 ·
If the washers are not too tight a tight fit between the inner faces of the dogbone and the shock then it is ok.

Expect some stiction and remember that the shock bush stiction is even greater but does not seem to have an adverse effect.

As the bearings are a press / interference fit they will always feel rough or tight.

You will not feel any of this stffness on the bike.

I drive myself mad with worrying about if everything is just perfect too.

Go ride!

Chaser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.