mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

575 vs sb66 & other questions

Hello all
    I currently ride a ‘07 575 with a pushed rp23, and fox talas rc2 up front.
    I ride with a 65mm stem and 745mm bars (thinking of going to a ~50 mm stem as well).
    I am 183cm tall (~6ft) and my 575 is large. I feel very comfortable with the size.
    I usually ride “all mountain” going up technical trails, and then going down. I do not do high jumps and stuff, just normal things (less than 1m / 3 ft high)
    So here are the questions.

I am thinking of changing the bike and going to a sb66 alum. I am thinking of getting a Large sb66. The difference in top tube length between a L 575 and a L sb66 is very very small, about 0.5 cm which can be adjusted with a shorter stem. Plus the seat tube angle is higher, therefore the seat will be closer to the bars. Is there anyone who has made this change and can help me with the size?

2nd question has to do with the rear shock. I currently have no issues with the (07) rp23, but if I get the sb66 I am thinking of going to a coil shock. How much will the pedaling efficiency be affected? Any bobbing, etc?

Lately I am also considering the rune v2, which is similar category to the sb, but to the more freeride side. Any thoughts / comments? Anybody who has ridden both (sb66 & rune) and can compare?

Thanks all in advance
    Manos

Long live the ASR-7
    I can talk a little about your situation. I also rode an older 575 and was contemplating a 66. A friend of mine has a 66 and I was able to give it a little ride time. The other bike I was looking at was the ASR-7. I loved how playful the 575 was and I just never got that feeling from the 66. I found an ASR-7 brand new and picked it up a few months ago. I absolutely love the 7. It climbs as well as my 575 and descends exponentially better.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've got both an 08 575 and an SB66 while also being 6ft.
    I've got a 70 mm stem on my 575 and a 50mm on my 66 and the fit is perfect for me. I do know of 6 footers who ride meds though but I know for certain they don't fit me.

The shock on the 66 is much better behaved than on my 575. The 575 only excels at the extreme of my climbing steep ability but the 66 its better everywhere else.

Main negative is the 66 eats shock bushings and the 575 does not also the bearing life on the 66 has a poor anecdotal record and replacements are not cheap though personally I've not had to replace mine in about 18 months. There are new polymer mounting kits that are supposedly better lifetimes but ultimately wear rate is greater than the 575.

66 shock is firmer than the 575 but the travel is better controlled and doesn't blow through like the 575 does. I suspect you like the plusher feel so possibly a coil shock would be better?

Given the choice if it had to keep just one of the two bikes it would be the 66 as it suits my riding better but I love my 575 for long days natural stuff so I'm keeping both ;P.

mtbr member
    LBS has an amazing deal on a 66 that I can't refuse. But to make it happen I've gotta part with my 575. Unfortunately, there is a foot of snow on the ground and a test ride is out of the question and I've not had the opportunity to give one a proper shake down. I like what I keep reading and hearing about the SB platform and it seems like a logical progression to upgrade to the SB. LBS tells me that the SB is the XCer's DH bike and the DHer's XC bike. Any regrets from those of you who have parted with your 575 to an SB66?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just moved from a 09 575 with push rp23. I now have a sb66c and I had to give up my 575 to get it.

I loved my 575 for everything everyone else has said about it, along with the easy of service and great timeless lines of the frame. It was running fox36 rc2 up front.

I bought the same size sb66c (XL) as was my 575. I love it and didn't think I would feel so different about it...

Climbs like a beast vs 575.
    Downhill is a "different" but not bad feeling suspension. It's just fast and as confident inspiring as the 575 was.

Sb66c is just all around better and faster both up and down.... If I could I would have kept my 575 for nostalgia sake but more than happy with my sb66c.

mtbr member
    The only thing I could nit pick on the 575 would be the climbing, just as on my previous ASR5c I'm always reaching for the propedal switch, but not really an issue that affects performance. But everything else is perfect. The SB66 I'm drooling over is full aluminum, 36RC2, DHX RC4, 30+lbs, etc, my only reservation is for a lot less coin I can upgrade my 575 with a float X, 36rc2 and XO1. Why is it when the snow is on the ground it causes upgrade-itis?

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and rode a large 05 575 then moved to a large 09 575 and now on a larger SB66c.

I ride the National trail at Phoenix South Mtn most of the time. The 575s have been great for me. I still have my 09 575 and I have not ridden it once since getting the SB66c in April.

The first thing I noticed was when you push down on the pedals the bike goes forward period. The 575s went forward but not near as efficient the 66c.

The next thing was my reach was too long and I was thinking I needed a medium or a 40mm stem. A buddy pointed out I had my handlebars rolled way too far forward. After correcting that it has been great.

On the 66c eating shock bushings I have not had any problems at all. The 66c came with the new Fox bushings and I took it apart the other day and they still look brand new. The 575 I had to replace the older style at least once a year.

Either bike is great so do what makes you happy!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Since I replaced the bushings with the new polymer ones I've also had no issues.

My bearings died on my 66 as I live and ride in wet conditions so it's a factor if you also ride in the wet frequently. Yet my 575 bearings lasted 5 years and I replaced them on a whim not because they really needed it... so if you do lots in the wet/mud then factor in bearing replacements.

For me the 575 is better over long XC with lots of extensive climbing for everything else the 66 is much better. I find I can just let the 66 run and it's well behaved while the 575 requires more rider intervention. TBH I like both and would be happy with either on their own but they do ride very differently with the 66 being more flattering to rider skill. Actually now I think about it I don't think I've ever fell off the 66 in normal riding....

mtbr member
    RocketMagnet,

When I pulled my 66 apart ~2 months after getting it I noticed there was almost no grease in any of the bearings. I packed them full and hope that helps them last longer. The only wet I have been in was the tribe fest this year in Telluride. I went a few days early and the bike sat in the wet for days plus a few good hours on the rack in the rain.

I flipped the bike over and noticed a little bit of water coming out of the seat tube. I pulled the headset out and found almost a cup of water in there and the lower headset bearing was in bad shape. This is when I checked all of the bearing and found most dry.