mtbr member

575 vs. Motolite

Hello
    I ride hardtails for the last 10 years and feel that it's time to add new aspects of MB riding into my resume.
    I was trying to choose between Titus Racer 100X and Motolite. I liked Titus Racer X for the great handling that is as close as you can get to my Bontager's but want to add some drops and such and thus was attracted to the ML. During my search I got this great opportunity to demo the 575 for 5 days (still with me) and loved what I discovered. Great climber, efficient pedaller and very fast everywhere. 2 issues still exsist however with the 575. Fisrt is very slow handling to my taste and second limitted ground clearence.
    The 575 has convinced me to go 5", now the question is how it compares with Titus ML and especially when handling and ground clearence count. Other aspects are interesting as well.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Hi GB,
    You will get used to, then learn to prefer, the precision handling. The 575 vs ML topic has been pretty thoroughly covered in this forum (the search function is your friend). Both great bikes, more similar than not, but with distinct suspension characteristics that may sway you in one direction over the other. I'd type more, but I'm late for a ride.

Remember, search.

Ant

EDR
    You need to ride the ML on similar trails that you have ridden the 575 on. There is just no other way to fairly compare the bikes.

The 575 has a kinda 'endless' feel about the rear travel, it's really a great setup with the rising then falling rate characteristics of the dogbone setup mated with an air shock. It really makes for a buttery smoooth suspension through the travel and the propedal keeps things firm when pedaling. As firm as the ML? I don't know, never ridden one.

The effects of the slower steering may be amplified right now as you move from your hardtail of 10 years to this bike. I'm assuming your hardtail is more xc orientated with a head angle of maybe 71 or even 72 degrees, yes? If so then the 69 or 68 degrees (depending of fork) will feel much different for a while. The beauty in this 'slower' handling is the stability it provides on the d/h's and drops and such. You can also shorten the stem (I run a 90mm) that may help.

Anyhow, you'll get nothing but praise on here for the Yeti and the same goes true for ML on the Titus site. Both geat bikes. You need to ride both.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Hello
    I ride hardtails for the last 10 years and feel that it's time to add new aspects of MB riding into my resume.
    I was trying to choose between Titus Racer 100X and Motolite. I liked Titus Racer X for the great handling that is as close as you can get to my Bontager's but want to add some drops and such and thus was attracted to the ML. During my search I got this great opportunity to demo the 575 for 5 days (still with me) and loved what I discovered. Great climber, efficient pedaller and very fast everywhere. 2 issues still exsist however with the 575. Fisrt is very slow handling to my taste and second limitted ground clearence.
    The 575 has convinced me to go 5", now the question is how it compares with Titus ML and especially when handling and ground clearence count. Other aspects are interesting as well.
    Thanks
    Click on my name to the left of this post. Click on the option to find all threads started by iviguy... Have fun. Lots and lots and lots of endless information. Endless, just like the suspension on the 575. I covered the ML and 575 debate pretty well as well as other topics.

Good luck.

mtbr member

Thnkas! Great info

As others advised, should demo both.
    I see that you've also cosidered handling as a critical factor during your search but settled for extra travel/plushness.
    Also, I believe I felt some lateral flex with the 575. Did you feel similar flex during your ML demo.
    Thanks again
    GB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    With two weeks on my 575 I can say that the all of the above are true about the frame design. You truthfully can really only compare frames and not other parts unless it is apples to apples. I have 8 rides in on our local trail system and this is one efficient bike. If you remember while you are riding you can flip the switch and get three different rides. Full soft is buttery, but not great uphill or out of the saddle. Middle for most everything and full on for out of saddle uphill stuff. I go 99% middle and can still get out of the saddle. The link starts behind (further than ML) then swings forward creating a platform.

The ML is probably made in the same place, weighs the same and is close in geometry. I cannot say that it is stiffer. The 575 is stiff unless the dogbone lossens up then it feels like a flat rear tire. The wheel is flexier that the bike, especially if you run a bigger tire on a narrow rim with 28# of air.

The Yeti comes in more/better colors, a tad longer top tube and better parts packages. 11% more travel. You can also shop around the web if you have no local dealer, but if you are testing than I bet you have one. The ML is adjustable and can run many shocks.

The Yeti will benefit from the 140mm Fox '07 stuff or a Pike, that is my only complaint.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    With two weeks on my 575 I can say that the all of the above are true about the frame design. You truthfully can really only compare frames and not other parts unless it is apples to apples. I have 8 rides in on our local trail system and this is one efficient bike. If you remember while you are riding you can flip the switch and get three different rides. Full soft is buttery, but not great uphill or out of the saddle. Middle for most everything and full on for out of saddle uphill stuff. I go 99% middle and can still get out of the saddle. The link starts behind (further than ML) then swings forward creating a platform.

The ML is probably made in the same place, weighs the same and is close in geometry. I cannot say that it is stiffer. The 575 is stiff unless the dogbone lossens up then it feels like a flat rear tire. The wheel is flexier that the bike, especially if you run a bigger tire on a narrow rim with 28# of air.

The Yeti comes in more/better colors, a tad longer top tube and better parts packages. 11% more travel. You can also shop around the web if you have no local dealer, but if you are testing than I bet you have one. The ML is adjustable and can run many shocks.

The Yeti will benefit from the 140mm Fox '07 stuff or a Pike, that is my only complaint.
    The ML is stiffer but I doubt you would notice much of a difference unless you rode them side by side and were doing things to stress the stiffness. The one thing to understand about these two bikes is that the ride characteristics are totally different. The ML to me felt much more harsh. The suspension has a rising rate so the further into the suspension you go the more the shock pushes back to correct the movement. The Yeti is a totally different ride. It's like a luxury sports car. The suspension really sucks up the things in the trail. It can have a bottomless feeling and you might have to get used to that. It's not a bad feeling, in fact its pretty dang nice, but it does feel quite different than the ML.

It's really going to boil down to preference. Some prefer the ML and some the Yeti. The other thing to note is that you get more bang for your buck with the Yeti by far. Titus drops it's component level a notch for the same money as the Yeti. For what I paid for my 575, I wouldn't have been able to even touch a Titus.

Get the Titus if you like to feel the trail and insist on having a bike that is more expensive, has less color options, and the paint comes off in chunks. Get the Yeti if you want much of the trail to disappear, you like to get the best bang for your buck, and a quality paint job is important. Am I biased??? Yup!