mtbr member
    Nov 2004

575 - Talas or Float? Carbon Triangle?

Leaning towards getting a 575.

There is lots of climbing where I ride, so I thought a Talas would make sense. Did ok with a vanilla on the demo bike and I've never had a Talas, so I don't know if its worth the $. Do you guys use the adjustable forks much?

And, I'm trying to go with a somewhat light build. The carbon triangle drops half a pound, but carbon on a frame makes me nervous. I'm 165 pounds and don't do big drops, but do hit lots of rocks. Has the carbon been around for a while? Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Yeti guys ride the carbon rear with no issues and let me tell you- they are crazy- you have to be a bit insane to ride with them. However, it will only take a 2.35 tire and no more while the Alum will take 2.5 so keep that in mind.

I've had the Vanilla and the Talas- prefer the Talas for feel and adjustability. I do use the adjustability when I go places with long climbs and long decents. Love the Talas and the RS Revelation as well.

If you hit a lot of rocks, go with the Alum for peace of mind but I would go with the carbon and I now feel it will hold up fine after talking to guys who use it. Plus I can get great deals on Yetis so I'd get the sexy carbon frame, especially if I did a lot of climbing

Oh, the Vanilla was plush and nice but the lack of adjustabilty makes it less appealing. On the Front Range (where I used to ride, you can climb for a long time with som esteep grades and dropping the fork to 110-120 mm or so really helps kep you fresh since you don't have to lean forward all the time. Switchbacks are easier too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    Leaning towards getting a 575.

There is lots of climbing where I ride, so I thought a Talas would make sense. Did ok with a vanilla on the demo bike and I've never had a Talas, so I don't know if its worth the $. Do you guys use the adjustable forks much?

And, I'm trying to go with a somewhat light build. The carbon triangle drops half a pound, but carbon on a frame makes me nervous. I'm 165 pounds and don't do big drops, but do hit lots of rocks. Has the carbon been around for a while? Any thoughts?
    If you plan on doing a lot of climbing and like the steep downhills an '07 Talus would be the perfect fork for a light weight 575 build. The travel adjuster in it works sweet, better than anything else currently out there.

If you are in weight weinie mode the carbon rear is a must but I think you sacrifice a bit of stiffness.

mtbr member

Talas on 575

Hey,

I've been running a 07 Talas on my Large 575 for a few weeks now, and it works quite well. The bike seems to 'like' the 140mm length, and I find it to feel balanced against the rear in every situation I've been in (Wasatch Front, and Vernal Utah so far). I'm around 165# also, and don't drop much; a better/braver flyer might like the float's more progressive spring rate, but I'm enjoying using more of the travel for my level of skill. The new travel adjust (I had an 06 TT Talas previously) is a HUGE improvement. Surprising how much I use the 120 setting on extended climbs; seems like just enough to allow me to not worry about micromanaging the front end. The 100 setting makes the steeper uphill switchbacks much easier as well.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As with many things, I'm confused about the Talas.

Does it change the amount of available travel, or does it literally lower the overall height of the fork?

J.

mtbr member
    Crash, I have been running the 07 Talas RLC on my 06 alum 575 and it is hands down better than the vanilla. adjustability is everything when climbing, i had the 06 vanilla at 130mm and climbing was a balancing act on steep grades trying to keep the front end on the trail. talas solved all of that and the plushness of the fork is unmatched except for maybe the revelation or pike in a 20mm, the same as the 36 talas. i have my 575 for sale right now, its a medium, team color, 07 talas rlc, juicy carbon break CK headset. look for it in the classifieds and if interested pm me.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by jandras
    Does it change the amount of available travel, or does it literally lower the overall height of the fork?
    Both. The travel goes from 140 to 120 (or 120 to 100) and the overall height of the fork is lessened by 20mm. The big breakthrough with the TALAS was that the air spring rate didn't change. For example, I had a Manitou Black that was adjustable from 80 to 100mm. When in 80mm mode, the fork was much stiffer (with the same compression/preload/etc) than in 100mm.