trail "cleaner"

A 575 suspension observation

Fellow 575 owners/riders. So I've been riding my 575's for a couple of years now and have noticed that while climbing technical sections, the bike's suspension is very neutral while in the middle chainring. I feel absolutely no pedal feedback. Now, if I shift on down into the small chainring, there is some pedal feedback but nothing compared to the Single pivot bike I owned before the Yetis'. Who else has noticed this??
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have noticed that a lot of different full suspension bikes work that way. I don't know if it is something about the suspension or maybe the fact that you usually have a faster cadence in the small ring.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

EDR
    I rode up Mormon and down National yesterday, for the first time I noticed that the bike kinda 'stalled' when climbing up rocks in the granny gear. It was obvious and was bothering me but I've had my bike over a year now and it never bothered me in the past. Maybe the fact that I have taken basically the last 2 months off from riding (due to the heat) and I am just plain out of shape without the needed leg strenght, I don't know....but that's my guess.

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    You betcha. Fortunately there is an easy solution - clean every climb in the middle ring

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    Fellow 575 owners/riders. So I've been riding my 575's for a couple of years now and have noticed that while climbing technical sections, the bike's suspension is very neutral while in the middle chainring. I feel absolutely no pedal feedback. Now, if I shift on down into the small chainring, there is some pedal feedback but nothing compared to the Single pivot bike I owned before the Yetis'. Who else has noticed this??
    Just a thought: Are you sure that it's pedal feedback that you are feeling, or is it the sudden rebound of the rear suspension that is causing you lose some forward momentum when it is the most precious: climbing steep stuff in the small ring.

Try dialing in a little more rebound damping and see if it makes a difference.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Stress
    Just a thought: Are you sure that it's pedal feedback that you are feeling, or is it the sudden rebound of the rear suspension that is causing you lose some forward momentum when it is the most precious: climbing steep stuff in the small ring.

Try dialing in a little more rebound damping and see if it makes a difference.
    Nice point. That never even occured to me but might apply nicely to my situation...

mtbr member
    The main pivot lacation is smack dab between the 22 and 32t rings if you look from the side of the bike.

So yes the chain is tugging a bit in the granny. I can feel it just a bit too. I personally think it's good to have a little bit of chain torque so it is not so soft in the middle ring and digs into the ground for some serious traction on steep climbs while in the granny.

I have a Turner also, which has the main pivot located in line with the 22, and it is smoother in the granny but softer in the middle ring.

When i first got my 575 i had a 90mm stem and my seat most of the way foreward on the rails.I eventually put a 70mm stem on it and slid the seat back ot the center of the rails. With more weight on the rear of the bike than before and being more centered i find the chain torque in the granny to be less and it is pretty ideal for me. now i'm not saying that you should change your body position but more of some info i discovered.

If you don't like the feel at all you could get a 24t ring to lessen it if you can turn it OK. And don't buy a VPP bike! It's far more distinct in those kind of bikes!
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mutaullyassuredsuffering

24t

I run a 24T and it works well, I get less action out of the suspension when cranking. Of course since I have a 32 in the back I'm really only one gear away from a 2x9...

trail "cleaner"
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    I run a 24T and it works well, I get less action out of the suspension when cranking. Of course since I have a 32 in the back I'm really only one gear away from a 2x9...
    Just might have to try a 24 up front. Again, the tug is NOTHING compared to the Mountain cycle San Andreas I used to ride but I'll see what a 24 tooth granny will do. thanks "Krispy" and "used2Bhard". Good stuff!!!!
    No dabs allowed!