mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. 575 - Stem Suggestions

My front wheel wanders like crazy on slow, uphill climbs. I can scoot way forward in the saddle and it tracks much better, but I end up giving up all the benefit of the v-groove and worry about all the pressure on that area on extended climbs. Plus it is uncomfortable position to maintain during long climbs on tight trails. It tracks like a dream downhill.

My Yeti came with an odd collection of 8 spacers (1.75") from the headset to the barclamp and the stock Tru-Vativ 100mm - 5 Degree stem. I feel somewhat high and tight on the bike. The frame is a L, I am a leg and torso proportionate 6'1" with somewhat longer arms.

Any suggestions on how far to cut down the tube and what stem length and rise to try? Thanks!

Adobo Lover
    Don't cut it yet. Drop the stem down and put the spacers on top of the stem until you find the sweet spot where your high enough but doesn't allow the front to wander when you climb. That sweet spot differs for all of us.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by b_chance5
    Any suggestions on how far to cut down the tube and what stem length and rise to try? Thanks!
    I am 6' with a Large, and started with a 100x15 stem, and quickly switched it out for a 90x0. The shorter, less rise stem felt much better on the 575 for me, and I've felt good with it every since.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm 6'1 with a large, running a 110 x 15, and it feels good, maybe a little long. I have no spacers at all, and easton cf risers.

Fits like a glove.

I wouldn't go shorter than 90 ish, as it is a xc bike, not a dh'er.

Adobo Lover
    I run a small Yeti, with 100 mm thomson 5 degree rise. I am contemplating about going to 110 because I've finally got my rocket v saddle in the perfect place for my Beehind and I think I might be a little cramped, just a tad bit. However, I won't decide that because I'm still trying to figure out the right height for my stem. I've been playing around with different heights with my spacers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Stumpy-

I've got a Thomson 110...maybe a trade is in order? I've been thinking of going a little shorter, and you a little longer.

interested? Mine's silver, and I'd hope yours is too.

Adobo Lover
    Sorry Lacticacidbath. Mine is black.

mtbr member

Stem length

Hey,

At 6', 34 sleeve, 32 trouser inseam, and a Large with Thomson 100mmX5, 3 - 5mm spacers below works well, although I am using a Talas 140mm fork, so I can (and do) dial it down on the longer climbs. It saves on the lower back, and minimizes the prostate trauma....

Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reduce your spacers to maybe 1". What fork are you running? Another thing is to move your seat forward in the clamp by a few mm. However, dropping a few spacers and moving your seat forward should help quite a bit. I set that up pretty well and the 575 climbs extremely well with little or no wheel wandering so try some adjustments before cutting the steer tube.

On long climbs, you can drop down the fork if it is adjustable.