Thread: 575 Snowbike?

Starts B, ends Rant.

575 Snowbike?

I saw this thread in the Alaska forum.... OK, my Turner snowbike is pretty much done...

The guy made a snowbike out of a Turner six-pack rear triangle and a 5-spot front triangle. It has those sweet Surly Large Marge rims and Endomorph tires. My questions are two:

1. Given that winter is coming, what are the biggest tires that one could put on the front and rear of a stock 575 (with Fox Float in the front)? I have seen this asked before and the thinking was something around 2.5 or 2.6 in the back, depending on the tire.

2. Does anyone have any thoughts on the theoretical challenges involved in building a custom rear triangle for a 575 that would accomodate the Surly Large Marge rims and giant Endomorph tires?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

mtbr member
    On the 575 I was running 2.4 Kenda Cortez for a while and they fit well but at least for me in Utah i would hit occasional mud patches while on my snow rides and the mud was hanging off the side of the knobbies and really eating the frame. I was not able to put big enough tires on to ride snowpack, i ride at night a lot when slushy snow and mud freezes so i went to a Kenda 2.1 or a Maxxis 2.3 which are nearly identical in size. When i ride snowpack my ASX fits 2.7s no problem.

That Turner,with the RFX rear triangle, has a lot of clearance.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP