Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jfd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. 575 and Size of stem

Hello everybody,

I'd like to know how long is your stem on your 575. I want to buy a new one, and I hesitate between 70 and 90 mm Thomson stem...

Thanks for advice ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfd
    Hello everybody,

I'd like to know how long is your stem on your 575. I want to buy a new one, and I hesitate between 70 and 90 mm Thomson stem...

Thanks for advice ;-)
    I run a 120mm. Anything shorter and the front end tends to push through corners for me. YRMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thomson 110 here, and it's currently for sale as I'm going to a 90mm.

It feels ok, but on lllloooonnnnngggg rides, my shoulders and neck are the first things to get really sore. I feel a little to stretched out. I'd also like to get some bars w/ a bit more rise to them, and preferably wider.

good luck

mtbr member

I have a 60, 70 and 90 for my 575 and i'm staying with the 70. With the 90 my neck would get sore eventually. Funny but i get better rear tire traction with the 70 and the rear suspension feels better too. Now i actually use the 3rd position on my RP3 since i'm more evenly weighted on the bike. Funny how a 90 seems too long when i grew up with a 120 and rode one foe years that way in the 90's.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

Adobo Lover
    100 on a small.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member

Good job!

120 on a medium

Bomber
    I went a little extreme and went for a 50....in retrospect 70 would be the best choice, but so far, Im happy with the 50, since i tend to let the fork ride high and weight the rear more (really utilizing the extra length in the rear) so the 50 really hasnt been a bad choice, altho its probly shorter than need be, hence the 70 would be better.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    6ft, Large 575 with a 90x0 Thomson x4 stem. Started with a 100x15, quickly decided I needed something shorter and with less rise.

In my mind, I can do it!
    6' tall, large frame with a 90mm stem. Perfect for me....

jfd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok, thanks for your answers. I'm also 6' with a large frame.

mtbr member
    5.11" and I use 90 Thomson on a medium 575.

Hi!!!
    100 on a medium. Looking to get a 90 to see how I like that.

mtbr member
    90mm RF Deus stem on a large frame. Much better feel than the 110 it came with.

EDR
    90mm on a medium 575. I'm 5'8''. Started with a 100mm. Like the 90 much better. Wish I could get a 80mm RF. If Thomson wasn't so expensive I would try a 70mm. The feeling on techincal d/h stuff greatly improved going to the 90 from the 100. Anybody want to send me their 70mm stem to try out?

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    90mm on a medium 575. I'm 5'8''. Started with a 100mm. Like the 90 much better. Wish I could get a 80mm RF. If Thomson wasn't so expensive I would try a 70mm. The feeling on techincal d/h stuff greatly improved going to the 90 from the 100. Anybody want to send me their 70mm stem to try out?
    Not going to lend you mine, but I am now running a 70... Really like the response... I just bought a cheapy Truvativ to test out and will be upgrading to Thomson soon... eatdrink, FWIW I like the 70 a lot more for National and the others around it...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    eatdrink, FWIW I like the 70 a lot more for National and the others around it...
    good info, thanks. We should hook up some time when the heat lets down. I'm no National expert but I make my way down, with a walk here and there (like the Waterfall area and that very last nasty section near Mormon, only cleared that once), lol.

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    good info, thanks. We should hook up some time when the heat lets down. I'm no National expert but I make my way down, with a walk here and there (like the Waterfall area and that very last nasty section near Mormon, only cleared that once), lol.
    Most definately, drop a PM... It sounds like we may be of similar skill levels. I can get there, but do my share of walking up and down... I dunno what I'll do when I can clean National up and down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I run a 120mm. Anything shorter and the front end tends to push through corners for me. YRMV.
    Can you elborate on this a little more? I am having fit issues with my 575 and have been thinking about the stem I running. Its a (15 x 110) Thomson.

EDR
    Most definately, drop a PM... It sounds like we may be of similar skill levels. I can get there, but do my share of walking up and down... I dunno what I'll do when I can clean National up and down.
    I ride Mormom up, haha.

Curious; what rise do you have on that 70mm? My 90 is 6 degrees I think. I wonder if I go get a 70mm if I should go for a 0 degree rise? I see most stems in the 60 and 70 degree range seem to be offered with a 10 degree rise, hmmm.

Any thoughts? (from anybody, of course)
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 09-08-2006 at 01:29 PM.

trail "cleaner"

Keep progressing.... there's more to give

Once you get National 'clean' and I mean NO dabs...there are more trails to challenge you on SOMO. Holbert, Geronimo, 24th st. (mormon proper) are just a few that come to mind.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfd
    Ok, thanks for your answers. I'm also 6' with a large frame.
    I'm 5' 11.5" and have a L 575. I started with a 100mm stem, decided that was too long, got a 90mm, decided that wasn't enough of a change and now have a 75mm. I haven't had many chances to ride it off road with the 75mm, but my impressions of it after commuting for a couple weeks are that the cockpit length feels good, but the steering feels much quicker. Maybe too quick. Not sure yet. We have a lot of long long climbs around here and I'm curious how my 575 will climb with the shorter stem.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Typical Mountain Biker
    90 on my small. It all depends on your body type, but I would say go as short as possible.

Think how nasty it would be running a 140 or something, endo city. Nuff said. That is unless you are an XC guy riding firetrails on a 575.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I'm 5'11" on a medium, I tried a 120mm at the beginning with a straight Thomson post, but I was way too forward (mostly with regards to the pedal spindle), so I got a setback post and a 110 stem.. it feels better now, though I wonder if a shorter stem would be even better... I am making the switch from a Specialized Epic, so it takes a while to get used to riide in a less agressive position.. I like it though!

Positive Vibe Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco43
    120 on a medium
    Dito......5' 10 1/2"

thompson......of course!
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
    Got to say I don't know what size I'm running. What comes stock on the Enduro build kit? I know it's a Race Face Evolve stem. No millimeter measures around here... I'm wondering if I need to go shorter as I experience some of the arm and shoulder fatigue others mentioned. I'm 6' on a large too.
    What, me hurry?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast