banned
    Feb 2005

575 shock stroke length

Hi all

Im looking to replace the 5th on my 05 575 with an rp3, but im not sure of the length of shock needed. I was under the impression i needed a 200mm e2e x 50mm stroke, but i read over on singletrack that the newer 575's are now fitted with a 57mm stroke, any body know for sure? If so, would it be ok to fit the 57mm stroke to my bike, and at what difference?

thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Here are the specs:

R.Shock: 2" stroke, 7.875" eye-to-eye (2.25" stroke, 7.875" eye-to-eye Fox DHX Air)

You can get the complete specs at the 575 page at yeticycles.com

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    ??
    Does that mean I get more travel when using the DHX? Why not mounting the 2.25" RP3 for more travel??

Thanks, Egika

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have no idea... I just got from the web page, but it could be good to ask Yeti about it.

Cheers,
    Cris

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Egika
    ??
    Does that mean I get more travel when using the DHX? Why not mounting the 2.25" RP3 for more travel??

Thanks, Egika
    There was a discussion about this before (Link here) but no definitive answer was ever really reached.

My 06 definitely has a 2.25" RP3, and if I was buying one that is the size I would buy. I'll shoot an email off to Yeti to see if they can shed some light on this issue for us.

Compulsive Bike Builder

One of the Seth brothers said...

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I have no idea... I just got from the web page, but it could be good to ask Yeti about it.
    Spoke with one of the Seths today - not sure which one - they told me you got the same travel with either shock and that the DHX Air has the same stroke on the 574 as the RP3, i.e. 2.0. Looks like the 2.25 spec on the web site is a mistake? I did not ask about that. I am not convinced we have the definitive answer on this yet.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Spoke with one of the Seths today - not sure which one - they told me you got the same travel with either shock and that the DHX Air has the same stroke on the 574 as the RP3, i.e. 2.0. Looks like the 2.25 spec on the web site is a mistake? I did not ask about that. I am not convinced we have the definitive answer on this yet.
    That doesn't sound correct to me, I think they've got their story messed up. My 06 RP3 definitely is a 2.25 stroke length. The stroke length will have a direct correlation to travel, so losing a 1/4" of stroke length with all other things remaining constant will result in travel loss.

I emailed Yeti on this issue on Friday, but I have not received an answer yet. If I do (cmon Yeti, don't let us down here) get a response I'll post it up.

mtbr member
    Yeah it would be nice to get some clarification on this issue. Like Jdub said, a .25" difference in shock stroke would definitely change the travel of the bike. I think DirtDad is right, the website must be a mistake.

Jdub, I do have to disagree with you on the shock stroke though. I have an 05 (there were no changes for 06 that I know of), and when I measure the RP3 from the end of the seal to the end of the shaft it is 2.25" long, but it does not travel all that way. The most it can travel is 2". You can check by letting the air out and compressing fully or looking at the o-ring or zip tie after bottoming out on a big hit.

Therefore if Jdub or the DHX air has a 2.25" stroke then the travel would be 6.48" assuming that the 2.0" stroke gets exactly 5.75" of travel. That much of a difference would not be allowed by the frame, nor would it go unmentioned by Yeti. Hopefully Jdub will get a response so that we can put this issue to rest.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    That doesn't sound correct to me, I think they've got their story messed up. My 06 RP3 definitely is a 2.25 stroke length. The stroke length will have a direct correlation to travel, so losing a 1/4" of stroke length with all other things remaining constant will result in travel loss.
    Yes, I think they use the same stroke for the RP3/RP23 and the DHX air, so it seems they are both 2.25. If they use 2.25 to get 5.75" travel, then a 2.0 would only get about 5.1" travel, assuming a linear system, which would be a big deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think that I have (rp3) a 2.25 stroke length on my '05, but the shock's entire travel is used up in 2" of stroke length. So, the stroke is .25" longer than the shock actually travels.

is this a possibility? It's what I've always thought.

mtbr member
    Ok, now i measured mine:
    It's a 2005 RP3 and it has exactly 2" of stroke.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Something is certainly amiss here. Yeti's website (which is brand new) shows the following in the FAQ on the 575:

"The 575 uses a 2 stroke, 7.875 eye-to-eye shock (2.25" stroke, 7.875" eye-to-eye for the Fox DHX Air)."

Now that information could be wrong, but given that the website is brand new I doubt that it is inaccurate. Like I said, hopefully Yeti will return my email on this, if not I'll give them a call and talk with them about it.

When I get home tonight I will take some pics of my shock with a tape measure. I am 100% sure that when I measured it before it was a 2.25 stroke length, and after my uphill case (see this thread) Sunday night the O-ring was on the end of that shaft.

I guess the next thing to do would be start measuring the actual rear wheel travel if they are indeed differences in the stroke lengths of shocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just re-measured mine (again 2005 rp3), and the stroke length is 2.25"

no.doubt. about. it.

Stray Bullet
    I just got off the phone with Yeti. More specically the guy who's voice is used on the phone system.

He said the spec on the website only effects 06 models.

For 06 the DHX Air has 2.25" of exposed stanchion but only used 2.0" of it. The travel is not effected at all.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    I just got off the phone with Yeti. More specically the guy who's voice is used on the phone system.

He said the spec on the website only effects 06 models.

For 06 the DHX Air has 2.25" of exposed stanchion but only used 2.0" of it. The travel is not effected at all.
    And I just got an email response back as well:

"[SIZE=2]The 2.25” stroke length for the DHX Air was incorrect on the site. It is the same as the rp23 at 2.0”. We do not OEM spec any air shock that has a 2.25” stroke. If your ride had a shoch stroke that was 2.25” stroke it would not function properly throughout its travel."

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    well, wtf?

I just re-measured.

Mine is def. 2.25

arrggg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    well, wtf?

I just re-measured.

Mine is def. 2.25

arrggg
    the length of the piston maybe 2.25" total but the stroke may only be 2". I personally have never been able to push the O-Ring on the piston all the way off the shock.

mtbr member
    How did you measure?
    I let all the air out and compressed the shock.
    The maximum travel is indicated by the o-ring while the piston length is 2.25" (see pic)

Have a nice day,
    egika
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stray Bullet
    How did you measure?
    The maximum travel is indicated by the o-ring while the piston length is 2.25" (see pic)

Have a nice day,
    egika
    Your picture illustrates what I was told. See my post above.

Compulsive Bike Builder

What we have here...

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Your picture illustrates what I was told. See my post above.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    well, wtf?

I just re-measured.

Mine is def. 2.25

arrggg
    I know, I thought the same thing when I got the email.

However, maybe it is only using 2" of the 2.25" stroke length to achieve the 5.75 inches of wheel travel. 1/4" isn't much really, so maybe me eyeballing the oring on the "end" of the stroke is really almost 1/4" by the time you discount the width of the o-ring.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to put the bike up in the stand, take some pics measuring the overall length of the shaft. Then let the air out of the shock, measure how far the shock moves inward and take some more pics.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    However, maybe it is only using 2" of the 2.25" stroke length to achieve the 5.75 inches of wheel travel. 1/4" isn't much really, so maybe me eyeballing the oring on the "end" of the stroke is really almost 1/4" by the time you discount the width of the o-ring.
    Ahhh....Its the feeling of closure....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sorry about the hijack.

How did you measure?

Have a nice day,
    egika
    Egika, what bottle cage is that? what size frame and how big of a bottle can you fit in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Egika, what bottle cage is that? what size frame and how big of a bottle can you fit in it?
    This is a "Mounty Special Side-Cage"
    http://www.jehlebikes.de/imagezb_gr/...chenhalter.jpg
    Maybe you only get these in Germany..

My frame is M and it fits Bottles up to 750ml (see 3rd pic).

I shifted the cage downwards by drilling to additional holes, so larger bottles won't touch the shock (2nd pic).

(of couse the Yeti bottle fit's best )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Egika; 08-09-2006 at 02:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Measured mine as well: 7.875 e2e and 2" stroke. Checked the Fox and Yeti sites and Fox did not make a 2.25" stroke RP3 or DHX-Air for '06 only 2" in '07 they make 2.25" & 2". Yeti also seemed to update their web page to now say 2.0". Do you wonder what the "new" 2.25 yielding almost 6.5" of travel would be like. At that end of the stroke I think it is a way falling rate with the newer bigger cans would not be good a "double" falling rate situation.