aka 'Grover'

575 or SB75 for BC Bike Race

I'm an XC whippet. I've been on a hardtail forever. Rear suspension and long travel is uncharted waters for me but I'm in the market for a fun bike that will hopefully get a visit to BC Bike Race next year. The Enduro World Series has triggered similar events in Australia so I this bike will see action in them too.

Now the question...SB75 or 575? It's hard to split them. Coming off hardtails I'll need it to pedal well or I'll hate it. I'll also want the rear end to be laterally stiff. The weight weenie bug will gnaw at me too. I will on occasion want to ride with a drink bottle. I can't help but think I should jump in the deep end with 6inches.

SB75
    - 'switch' should make it pedal better?
    - more laterally stiff
    - a pound heavier
    - only 5 inches
    - really awkward bottle placement
    - 6 inches
    - a pound lighter
    - conventional bottle mount
    - will pedal like a comparative slug?
    - not as stiff in the rear end

The 575 gets more travel at a lighter weight with a normal bottle. I can't help but think the lateral/linkage stiffness and pedalling/general suspension action will be better on the SB75. Both things that can't be quantified easily on paper.

Has anyone ridden both?
    What are peoples thoughts on these bike for 'Enduro' events and BC Bike Race?

I'm hoping to test both soon but demo models aren't available in Oz yet.

mtbr member
    SB75 is going to pedal better. I am sure the 575 is going to be fun to ride, but not the best pedaling bike.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    SB75 is going to pedal better. I am sure the 575 is going to be fun to ride, but not the best pedaling bike.
    I concur. I demoed an SB66 and a 575 back to back. The SB66 pedaled like a rocket going uphill. The 575, erm, not so much.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both will feel like pigs compared to a hardtail. If you are going for a fun bike either will do, but the 575 tends to wallow in its travel. Because of the weight of both I am not sure if I would want to use either one for the BC Bike race though. I would look into finding a ASR5c as this would be a better choice for endurance racing then either of those bikes. For enduros I would go with the SB75.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

Bikes!
    Interesting question, I'm panning on doing the BCBR in 2016 and plan to do it on a Yeti...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've done BCBR twice, once on an ASR5C. It was a great bike for it. That said, now I'd probably prefer a SB95C. The thing that really stands out about the race are roots - lots and lots and lots of roots. And while I don't prefer any one wheel size, I really do think that 29ers are way better over roots. Honestly, I think probably the best bike for that race right now is the Ripley. The SB 75 would still be more than adequate, and I think would be a bit better than the 575.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had the older 2009 edition of the 575 before I got an asr 5c, the 5c defiantly pedal better than the 575 and felt stiffer for that matter.

I have just picked up a sb66c and it pedals noticeable better than the 5c. The 5c is very different than the 575 however it is still an asr platform (which i love by the way) and if the sb75 pedals like the 66 I'd think you would rather that from your description. It has a much firmer pedaling platform.

Only problem I see with the SB platform is the weight penalty, I had to go for the carbon option to be happy with the weight.

Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    I concur. I demoed an SB66 and a 575 back to back. The SB66 pedaled like a rocket going uphill. The 575, erm, not so much.
    Was this the 2014 575? Supposedly they have tweaked it to be firmer in the mid-stroke.

mtbr member
    Demod both:

575 is the super fun plush bike.

Sb75 give a lot more trail feedback, but still lets you tackle stupid things like 575.

Sb66 will make you think you are super hero that can leap off a building.

575 and 75 pedal really well up hill but both need proper shock setup to do so. I rode them multiple times and had different people setting me up, I had to take the time to get psi right for me to get the most effecient ride.
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by promtnoutfitters View Post
    Demod both:

575 is the super fun plush bike.
    Sounds perfect to me

I'm not a racer, only get to ride 1-2 times a week, I'm out there to maximize smiles per mile.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I'm an XC whippet. I've been on a hardtail forever. Rear suspension and long travel is uncharted waters for me but I'm in the market for a fun bike that will hopefully get a visit to BC Bike Race next year. The Enduro World Series has triggered similar events in Australia so I this bike will see action in them too.

Now the question...SB75 or 575? It's hard to split them. Coming off hardtails I'll need it to pedal well or I'll hate it. I'll also want the rear end to be laterally stiff. The weight weenie bug will gnaw at me too. I will on occasion want to ride with a drink bottle. I can't help but think I should jump in the deep end with 6inches.

SB75
    - 'switch' should make it pedal better?
    - more laterally stiff
    - a pound heavier
    - only 5 inches
    - really awkward bottle placement
    - 6 inches
    - a pound lighter
    - conventional bottle mount
    - will pedal like a comparative slug?
    - not as stiff in the rear end

The 575 gets more travel at a lighter weight with a normal bottle. I can't help but think the lateral/linkage stiffness and pedalling/general suspension action will be better on the SB75. Both things that can't be quantified easily on paper.

Has anyone ridden both?
    What are peoples thoughts on these bike for 'Enduro' events and BC Bike Race?

I'm hoping to test both soon but demo models aren't available in Oz yet.
    I'll be doing the 2014 BC Bike Race on an SB66c. Whatever you bike you choose, I'm sure you'll have fun =).