Thread: 575 or AS-Rsl?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

575 or AS-Rsl?

Hi All,

I’m looking to buy either a 575 or an AS-R sl. I live in Laguna Beach (lucky me I think) and will ride mostly 100% loops. So, I’m looking for a good climber and a good ride on the downhill side too. I demoed a 575 yesterday and loved the ride, especially on the drops, but kept thinking that I might want an AS-Rsl to shave a bit more weight off for easier climbing.

Unfortunately, there is no AS-R sl for demo.

The main difference seems to be weight (5.1 lbs versus 5.75 lbs), the build (smaller tubes and a lighter-gauge mount for the rear shock pivot, versus larger tubes and a heavier gauge mount), and the rear travel (4” versus 5.75”).

Thoughts?

Last edited by jandras; 07-09-2006 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've owned both and love the two bikes but I want to ask you to describe your trails a bit more and your riding style a bit more before throwing in my 2 cents. The ASR-SL is more of a racer that you can easily build up to be a trail bike and it will be faster on anything but the really technical downhills. However, the 575 is an awesome climber, more comfortable, and more forgiving. The ASR-SL will outsprint it anywhere and take sharp turns better with better-feeling tracking around corners (you may be as fast on either one) but the 575 will be more stable and more capable when the trails get really technical and rocky and is still fast though not Hardtail fast like the ASR-SL. It's hard for me to say which one without knowing more about your trails and what type of riding you enjoy.

If you come from a hardtail background, you will prefer the feel of the ASR-SL which boasts instant power transfer- from pedals to forward motion. If you are already on a FS, you will be okay with either one as long as you realize that 5.75" or travel versus a 4" Racer will have very different feels.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've demoed both recently out on my local trails.

For the record I currently ride an ARC.

Hopping onto the ASRsl was heavenly to me. I still got feedback from the ground to let me know what was going on but the improvement in traction and handling through the corners was heavenly. On fast downhill fireroad runs with waterbars and ruts, the ASRsl tracked beatifully and I felt very in control. The only place where I felt it could possibly have been improved was a bit of extra travel at the back. The ASR was comfier than my hardtail but still not uber plush.

So bring on the 575 then...

Barely any weigh difference between the two at all as the Rsl was a mid spec unit where the 575 was the top of the range XO and crossmax SL bedecked beastie. I was all set up to love this rig, like an ASRsl but squishier...

Umm, no. Worse on the climbs, worse in the corners and on the downhills I felt like i was perched way too high up to feel comfortable/stable/safe. I could hit up a downhill fireroad heaps quicker on the ASRsl than I could on the 575, simply because I felt more in control.

Now if you're used to a short cockpit high bb bike then the 575 probably won't feel as odd to you as it did to me. The only place the 575 felt better was on soaking up bumps.

Unless you plan on hitting up rough stuff regularly or doing drops over 1.5 feet, for my money I'd suggest the ASRsl. It corners better than any bke I've ever ridden. (that may just mean that I've ridden the wrong bikes but includes a scalpel, a rush, a 575, a spesh enduro, a trance1, a vt2, a Turner DHR, Dabomb molotov and my ARC)

If you don't need the big travel, go the ASRsl

my 2.7 cents (damn exchange rate!)

Bomber
    id say it all comes down to this: do you see yourself as a racer, trying to go as fast as possible on a darn fine rig, possibly even getting into racing, or do you just wanna rip it up on a fun ride thatll give you a taste of everything

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have have both an ASR-SL and a 575, and I am familiar with your trails down there in the OC. That said, If I lived in OC, didn't race, and could only have one bike I would go with the 575.

The 575 is a blast on rocky or technical trails and is a pretty effecient climber for having almost 6" of travel. The weight on mine is 28lbs so weight isn't a real issue. The only downside is with the heavier bike and slack geometry, climbing the long and/or steep climbs you have will be a lot more work if you aren't a good climber. The steering is also a little slower on the 575 due to the geometry, but can be corrected a little bit with a shorter stem.

The ASR-SL is a fast bike. It feels faster and rides faster then the 575. Mine weighs in at 24lbs. It climbs like crazy and is real fast in tight twisty singletrack. You don't have a whole lot of tight twisty singletrack in OC so it shouldn't be too big of a concern going with the slower turning 575. Although the ASR is a good descender, it isn't quite as capable with rock gardens and drops as the 575 is.

If you like technical trails, which you have a ton of down there, I would go with the 575. If you think you might want to race someday, or you prefer climbing and descending smoother fast trails then go with the ASR. That said, they are both great bikes.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

On your left.
    Jan 2004

actually it is geometry

Actually I think the biggest difference is geometry. You should definietly ride both if even in a parking lot. I personally can't stand the short TT and slow steering of typical freeride bikes (including the 575). I think a good sturdy, XC geometry, 4" - 5" travel bike is the way to go for that type of riding. The ASR-SL is really a race bike and although it certainly can handle your trails it may limit you when blazing down Rock-It and other similarly rough, rocky trails.

On the other hand - If you did a test ride on the 575 an are convinced it is the right bike, then trust yourself and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jandras
    Hi All,

Im looking to buy either a 575 or an AS-R sl. I live in Laguna Beach (lucky me I think) and will ride mostly 100% loops. So, Im looking for a good climber and a good ride on the downhill side too. I demoed a 575 yesterday and loved the ride, especially on the drops, but kept thinking that I might want an AS-Rsl to shave a bit more weight off for easier climbing.

Unfortunately, there is no AS-R sl for demo.

The main difference seems to be weight (5.1 lbs versus 5.75 lbs), the build (smaller tubes and a lighter-gauge mount for the rear shock pivot, versus larger tubes and a heavier gauge mount), and the rear travel (4 versus 5.75).

Thoughts?
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just bought a 575 this year and raced my first three races ever with it. I took third in all three races (entry level race class). So, it can't be that bad for racing!