Deere Rider

575 Rear Triangle '11 vs. '12 Stiffness??

Can anyone offer a comparison between the 2011 575 rear triangle vs. the revised 2012 that is all aluminum? Yeti says the new design is supposed to be a bit stiffer. Is this true?

I have a size L 2011 575. Fox 36, Shimano XT 776 wheels with 135X10 through bolt (not QR), with a 2.25 Nobby Nic. I am 6'3" and ride weight is around 245-250 lb.

I am finding the '11 carbon/ aluminum rear triangle less than stout. It feels fine in most instances but when hitting ruts at an angle I feel the rear "shimmie" just a bit. The big issue is on drops. If I don't hit the landing perfect the rear tire is buzzing somewhere. It's not the seat tube and I think it is the left side carbon seat stay (I always land with right foot forward). I'm pretty sure something is twisting or flexing to make this happen. The 776 wheels with the DT through bolt are about as stiff as I have owned so I'm certain the flex is not from the rear wheel.

I called Yeti awhile back and I think the '12 rear triangle was going to cost me $400 (can't remember exactly). If there is a noticeable difference in stiffness I will pull the trigger.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Deere Rider
    Called Yeti and they said the new rear triangle wouldn't make that much difference in stiffness. I would like to "tighten" things up as I really like this bike. Guess I will take a closer look at my rear wheel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Watch out , our bike's rear triangle cracked with even less work than what you think ....although its an ASR5 and no 575 , but these rear swingarms are similar (similartly light and not suited than we think)

ASR5 cracked rear swingarm , after 3 months of use

LCW
    mtbr member
    I have a 2011 575. 142x12 rear axle. Stiffness issues resolved.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    I'm thinking that the advantage with the newer rear swing-arm is the ability to install larger tires. Many '11 575 owners have been challenged with finding a wider rear tire that won't interfere with the narrow carbon bridge.

@JPVM - The rear swing-arm is made of aluminum on the chainstay (from the ASR7) and a carbon seatstay. Its quite tough. I've put mine through serious abuse and its been fine (although, I am running a 180mm brake rotor).

LCW
    mtbr member
    what mtb_tico says is right. the downside of the '11 rear triangle is limitation on tire size. I runn a Maxxis 2.35 HR back there - good clearance with that one, and I like that tire, so it's not a huge deal.

I can't comment on the '12, but my '11 has been solid with a 142x12 rear axle. Taken it a dozen to some mild DH at a nearby ski hill. No issues whatsover.

Almost seems like there was more issues (cracks) with the '12 than there ever was with the '11.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_tico View Post
    I'm thinking that the advantage with the newer rear swing-arm is the ability to install larger tires. Many '11 575 owners have been challenged with finding a wider rear tire that won't interfere with the narrow carbon bridge.

@JPVM - The rear swing-arm is made of aluminum on the chainstay (from the ASR7) and a carbon seatstay. Its quite tough. I've put mine through serious abuse and its been fine (although, I am running a 180mm brake rotor).
    Sorry man , I thought it was a complete carbon swingarm like the ARS-5 and the ASR-5c .

I also have a 2011 ASR-7 and its solid as a rock and can sustain any pounding without any screech. Mine has also seen some heavy traffic and I can only applaude it.