mtbr member

575 Rear Brake Squeel

I have a 575 that I have had for about 2 months and the rear brakes have squeeled badly since I got it. It vibrates so bad it tickles when I'm in the saddle. I'm certainly not complaining about that but the noise is pretty annoying. I thought originally it was just the brake pads needing to be burnt in but I have put several hundred miles on it and it hasn't really improved. Should I replace the pads or could something else be causing the noise. It has the hayes hydros on it. Thanks for the help.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpCane
    It has the hayes hydros on it. Thanks for the help.
    Hayes what? 9's.....mags.... etc..?

It really has nothing to do with your frame, it's more of a brake/wheel issue.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I agree with eatdrinkride, it is very inlikely to be a frame issue. Nevertheless, you could try and see how the pads are making contact with the rotor, they might be grabbing the rotor "arms" a little too much and cause some vibration.

Just a though...

Cheers,
    Cris

Rat Fink
    EBC Green pads are quiet on Hayes 575 rear brakes.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

trail "cleaner"

If it's an '06...

I have a 575 that I have had for about 2 months and the rear brakes have squeeled badly since I got it. It vibrates so bad it tickles when I'm in the saddle. I'm certainly not complaining about that but the noise is pretty annoying. I thought originally it was just the brake pads needing to be burnt in but I have put several hundred miles on it and it hasn't really improved. Should I replace the pads or could something else be causing the noise. It has the hayes hydros on it. Thanks for the help.
    Mine had a similar problem but root cause was due to caliper not centered over the rotor. One pad was very close to the rotor and the other was spaced away. Upon centering of rotor perfectly between the caliper.... the noise and vibration went bye...bye....
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've had some issues with squealing and rubbing. An easy fix is to loosen the two caliper bolts so that the caliber moves freely as the wheel spins (you'll need a work stand or some way to keep the rear elevated). Watch it carefully for any serious issues, such as a bent or crooked rotor. If it doesn't warrant a repair, keep the wheel spinning and slowly tighten the 2 bolts so that the caliper remains more or less centered as you tighten it (keep the wheel moving). Doing this has helped me, it might help you. Give it a try. If you have an issue with the rotor being bent or something else weird, best to take it to a shop. Good luck.

mtbr member

Brake squeal and vibration

All the above are good suggestions; also give your rear wheel bearings a check. My brakes were good to go in all other categories, but still giving me a saddle buzz. Turned out my rear bearings were a little loose.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I finally got by rear wheel built back up on my single speed which has caused me to shelf the 575 for a bit. I did pick up a set of pads and plan to replace them before I ride the next time. I will also check the wheel bearing closely. Thanks again..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the same problem. A quick fix was to change the pads for semi-sintetic and worked for a while, but after having a buch of issues I decided to get a new set of brakes (JUICY 7),since then no more problems

In my mind, I can do it!
    Thanks for all of the replies. I finally got by rear wheel built back up on my single speed which has caused me to shelf the 575 for a bit. I did pick up a set of pads and plan to replace them before I ride the next time. I will also check the wheel bearing closely. Thanks again..
    Hey Pimp,

I resolved my turkey call issue by using the suggestion of someone in the brake time forum. The fix is pretty easy really. The problem seemed to be specific to the wavey rotors and the cause was that the brake calipers rode down too low so the splines rubbed on the brake pads about 1mm on the front and 2mm on the rear. The result was a shuttering brake squeal that vibrates the whole bike.

The fix is to put a washer or two under the caliper bolts to raise the caliper 1 or 2mm so the splines will not rub on the pads anymore. I added one washer height to the rear and didn't have to add any to the front. The washer goes between the frame bracket and the ball and cup washer so the caliper is actually raised by the height of the washer. Put one washer on each of the 2 bolts and see if that helps.

So to be clear you will have the following order on the bolts when this is done:
    Caliper
    Ball washer
    Cup washer
    Added washer
    Frame mount
    Frame

I also had to sand the pads a bit for the squealing sound but other than that, it is quiet as a mouse now.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process.