Thread: 575 questions

mtbr member
    May 2006

575 questions

Im looking at a new XC/all mountain bike and have been looking in the 4-5" travel range. i never would have thought about a 5.75 inch bike because i would have assumed it would be too heavy. however, i have seen plenty of listed weights for 575s around 27-28 pounds. my current schwinn rocket 88 is 27.5 pounds, and i dont want to go much heavier. climbing is one of my biggest priorities, so how well does the 575 climb with all that travel? its a single pivot bike right? i was sort of under the impression that single pivots were considered to be less efficient than some of the newer suspension designs, but people seem to rave about this bike. whats the story? so how much do most peoples 575s (size medium) really weigh? can anyone compare the 575 to a rocky mountain etsx? i have already done a search and read everything ive found. thanks for your responses in advance.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510
    Im looking at a new XC/all mountain bike and have been looking in the 4-5" travel range. i never would have thought about a 5.75 inch bike because i would have assumed it would be too heavy. however, i have seen plenty of listed weights for 575s around 27-28 pounds. my current schwinn rocket 88 is 27.5 pounds, and i dont want to go much heavier. climbing is one of my biggest priorities, so how well does the 575 climb with all that travel? its a single pivot bike right? i was sort of under the impression that single pivots were considered to be less efficient than some of the newer suspension designs, but people seem to rave about this bike. whats the story? so how much do most peoples 575s (size medium) really weigh? can anyone compare the 575 to a rocky mountain etsx? i have already done a search and read everything ive found. thanks for your responses in advance.
    The 575 climbs like a mountain goat and descends even better. I was skeptical about whether 5.75" of travel was too much for the kind of riding I do as well. Check my posts, I drove these guys crazy with questions. I finally have one and man, is it sweet. I ride primarily XC type trails and this bike performs very well on singletrack and when the trail gets rough it's like this bike just floats over it. I don't have a lot of climbing here but I did demo one and rode up a pretty steep incline. Had my legs not gone out on me the bike would have gone to the top without a hitch.

I didn't go light with my build really at all. It's got the Enduro buildout which is the lowest cost version of the 575 and the weight is 28.8lbs My previous bike was under 28lbs but honestly this bike feels lighter and seems to pedal faster. Actually, I know it's faster...

Sorry, I can't compare it to the Rocky Mountain but I can confirm that this is a great bike.

EDIT: Oh, BTW - If you want to check the prices of what you could get and want the best deal, give Will at fullcycles.com a call. I got an excellent deal and his support is awesome as well. I can't say enough good things about www.fullcycles.com they are really great.
    Last edited by iviguy; 06-14-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Im looking at a new XC/all mountain bike and have been looking in the 4-5" travel range. i never would have thought about a 5.75 inch bike because i would have assumed it would be too heavy. however, i have seen plenty of listed weights for 575s around 27-28 pounds. my current schwinn rocket 88 is 27.5 pounds, and i dont want to go much heavier.
    27.5 lbs is easily done with a 575. Mine Large weighs 29.9 lbs,

climbing is one of my biggest priorities, so how well does the 575 climb with all that travel?
    I live in Colorado, climbing is a way of life. I'm a better climber on my 575 than I was on a 26lb, 4" travel bike by far.

its a single pivot bike right? i was sort of under the impression that single pivots were considered to be less efficient than some of the newer suspension designs, but people seem to rave about this bike. whats the story?
    Technically a single pivot, but the swing link thing makes it feel totally different than my old single pivot. Its all about the application (right Turner owners?) than the actual suspension design.

mtbr member

My $.02

My small 575 is 27.5lbs with 2.35 Kenda BG and 2.4 Mutanos. The 575 climbs well for a 5+ inch bike but my Fuel 100 climbs steep stuff better (however, this is more a function of geometry and a super low front end than the quality of suspension. The Fuel can't hold a candle to the 575 when the trail points down). Having said that, I've only ridden my Fuel once since I got the 575 as it is just a way more FUN bike to ride all day.
    My friend's small has the Enduro with a Talas and upgraded wheelset (1700gram wheelset), 2.4 Mutano and it weighs in at 28 lbs. She used to have a Fuel EX (4" bike). She claims that the 575 is a much better climber and descender than her Fuel EX. And I believe her completely...

mtbr member

Climbs better even with the weight...

I have a large 575 that comes it at around 30lbs

I was riding a Specialized FSR Stumpjumber Pro that weighed around 25lbs

The Yeti seriously outclimbs the FSR. I thind that you will find that the All Mountain geometry of the 575 makes it easier to keep the front end down while maintaining traction in the rear.

Just my .02 worth

David

EDR
    the 575 climbs extremely well. Better than my 4'' inch Tomac xc bike. Especially if the terrain gets technical. Without a Propedal shock this would not be the case, make no mistake. (a lbs tried to sell me a 575 frame at a discount with a Float R on it, NO WAY, it does need the assist of PP imo.

This bike loves to climb, very nimble and rewards you on the way down with 'endless' travel feel....
    No RM experience sorry. Other bikes climb as well or better. Maybe the RM is one, the 5 spot maybe also (i don't know) Motolite maybe but none of these bikes (from what I've read) outclimbs the 575 signifacantly(sp?) and certainly lacks the fluid feeling on the d/h of this bike. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    I test rode an etsx70 about three years ago and I've owned my 575 for 2.5. The rocky and yeti climb about the same but the 575 wins on the downhill by far it is so much more active than the rocky was. of course since my 575 is an 04 it has the progresive 5th air instead of the fox rp3 they have now. the etsx I rode had a float on it but seemed real stiff on the downhill. I was actually able to ride the rocky in dirt when I demo'ed it so felt confident in buying the yeti.
    hope this helps

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As another point of reference, I got a medium 575 Enduro Kit with carbon swingarm and a float rlc fork (base kit is the heavier vanilla fork) and it came in at 29.01lbs. Seems heavy compared to what everyone else has. Personally I think all that extra weight is in the tires.

the 575 does climb really well. I've been able to do some technical ascents better on the 575 than I have on my old bike. fwiw, I thought the blur xc soaked up small bumps better than the 575. But that was only from doing a test ride with the shocks set at the recommended psi.

mtbr member
    May 2006

575 only 26 lbs

My medium 575 with XTR / Mavic Crossmax SL / Thomson post and stem / Caston carbon bars etc is 26 lbs!
    I think it climbs so well because of the way the swing link keeps things fairly stiff in the first part of the travel.
    When you hit the bumpy downhill sections you get into the plush mid travel which keeps thing sweet.
    Hope this helps.
    Chaser