Thread: 575 Question

person

575 Question

I've been doing some research on possibilities for my next bike, and I have a couple questions about the 575. Now i've heard tons of descriptions of the 575's climbing ability, and people comparing it to a "goat" but I need some other descriptions. How much if any bob does it have when pedaling hard out of the saddle on flat and up hill? Also the ability to equip it w/ a 160mm fork makes it seem to me like you can get really aggressive w/ it. So my next question is just how agressiv can you get w/ a 575? i.e. Drops?

Thanks Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Regarding bobbing, you can be sure that the RP23 will take care of it.. position 3 is almost a lockout... no worries there...

On the "dropability", I guess it depends on skills, I have seen pics here of some people doing crazy stuff on 575s, but still it is not a Freeride frame. I would say with a burly build and big travel fork up front it could take drops regularly... how big exactly would depend on how your landing skills are...

person
    thanks for the reply, drops wouldn't be too regularly, and nothing over 5ft, if I wanted to start freeriding i'd buy a bike specifically built for it, just wanted to see what she was good for.

-Thanks again Dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    I've been doing some research on possibilities for my next bike, and I have a couple questions about the 575. Now i've heard tons of descriptions of the 575's climbing ability, and people comparing it to a "goat" but I need some other descriptions. How much if any bob does it have when pedaling hard out of the saddle on flat and up hill? Also the ability to equip it w/ a 160mm fork makes it seem to me like you can get really aggressive w/ it. So my next question is just how agressiv can you get w/ a 575? i.e. Drops?

Thanks Dave
    Technical climbing is great but don't know how to describe it rather than saying that I clean much more than I did with my HT. The bike feels planted and there is no noticable peddal bob while seated. If you keep rear tire grip and bike momentum, you will clean climbs very well.
    About hammering out of the saddle I can say that I do a lot but it feels much more efficient with my HT.
    I don't do 5 foot drops at all so I can not comment.

Who is John Galt?
    I would thnk 5 foot drops would be too much for the frame unless you were running downhill components. Is anyone doing that? I know Yeti shows the 575 decked out with hardcore equipment, 36 Van fork, on their Web site. Most folks on this forum are more set up for cross country.
    What, me hurry?

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    About hammering out of the saddle I can say that I do a lot but it feels much more efficient with my HT.
    When I hammer out of the saddle with the RP3 in the firm mode...I do notice SOME bob, but not like a pogo stick. When the setting of the rear shock is in the middle and I'm off the saddle on a climb, the bob is more noticeable, but again...not really boing-boingy.

mtbr member
    I did weigh 250lbs when I got my 575 in the spring, I have lost about 13lbs. over the summer. All from riding my 575. I keep the rear shock in pro-pedal mode 100% of the time. I can feel a little bob when I stand up and crank it hard but the bob is not a bad thing. I can feel the rear tire digging in and giving me more traction. Sometimes I feel like I am not going to make it up something very steep but that little bob does the trick and gets me over the hump. Sitting in the seat and climbing is very plush and it feels more solid than my hardtail.

I have had several people ask me how I like my 575 while on the trails and I tell them all the same thing...it is the best bike I have ever ridden. I am not into huge drops or super aggressive riding though. I ride the St. George area trails almost every day and the 575 handles them fine.

Going downhill I have never bottomed out. Very solid ride for a person my size.

For the price, I feel the 575 is the best bike on the market.

Hope this helps.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
    I did weigh 250lbs when I got my 575 in the spring, I have lost about 13lbs. over the summer. All from riding my 575. I keep the rear shock in pro-pedal mode 100% of the time. I can feel a little bob when I stand up and crank it hard but the bob is not a bad thing. I can feel the rear tire digging in and giving me more traction. Sometimes I feel like I am not going to make it up something very steep but that little bob does the trick and gets me over the hump. Sitting in the seat and climbing is very plush and it feels more solid than my hardtail.

I have had several people ask me how I like my 575 while on the trails and I tell them all the same thing...it is the best bike I have ever ridden. I am not into huge drops or super aggressive riding though. I ride the St. George area trails almost every day and the 575 handles them fine.

Going downhill I have never bottomed out. Very solid ride for a person my size.

For the price, I feel the 575 is the best bike on the market.

Hope this helps.
    I am going to just echo what has been said here already but I would add that the thing some are calling "bob" is more what I would call having an active rear end. I have never noticed any biopacing at all which I think is more what you are wanting to avoid. The rear end is very active and that is good because it keeps the tire stuck to the ground. But pedaling is still efficient. Of course, it's no hardtail, nothing but a hardtail is. But then again I'm not convinced that's not a bad thing.

The drops is going to depend on how much you weigh and how you land your drops. I am sure there are guys that thrash on their 575's very hard and don't damage the frame. Likewise there may be someone that lands a drop wrong and cracks the frame but when a frame builder puts a 5 year warranty like Yeti does and has consistantly proven that they back it up, you can be sure it's a good strong frame.

It's not a freeride bike but for the occasional light use in that area I think it will probably be a great choice. I have done some jumps on mine, maybe 3' to flat and never felt it waiver at all. It felt very good actually.

Good luck.

person
    Thanks a lot for all the info guys, I can definetly tell that riding this bike has made you all very loyal to it. Now the drops im describing wouldn't be very often, and 5ft would be the absolute max if at all also I wiegh ~160 w/ gear My planed build would include a dhx a, w/ a Pike, possibly w/ evolve dh parts or shimano hone, and some nice tough wheels. Weight really isn't an issue as the bike I have now is no feather-weight. I was expecting that I could probably do a burly 575 build and still have it weigh only a few pounds more than my current bike. Thoughts on capabilities of this planned build?

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    Thanks a lot for all the info guys, I can definetly tell that riding this bike has made you all very loyal to it. Now the drops im describing wouldn't be very often, and 5ft would be the absolute max if at all also I wiegh ~160 w/ gear My planed build would include a dhx a, w/ a Pike, possibly w/ evolve dh parts or shimano hone, and some nice tough wheels. Weight really isn't an issue as the bike I have now is no feather-weight. I was expecting that I could probably do a burly 575 build and still have it weigh only a few pounds more than my current bike. Thoughts on capabilities of this planned build?
    As I said before, a burly build will probably be all you need, if your landing skills are good

That build sounds fine and will probably give you a low-to-mid 30s weight...

EDR
    this bike only 'bobs' if you don't have enough air in the RP....What riders that drop 5 feet worry about 'bob?' ( i guess all of them, lol).... Pick your poison and go with the right bike. If you're doing those kinda drops maybe look at a RFX (6 pack). Just my .02
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 11-17-2006 at 11:22 PM.

bob
    mtbr member

Good job!

I once talked to a Yeti employee who said he had done 10 footers to transition with his 575.

IMO..take the best ride qualities of an Ellsworth Truth and a SC Heckler, combine them and you get a 575.

Bob (former Truth/Heckler owner)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You want a long travel XC bike that can do jumps sometimes and not hurt- get the 575. It's isn't built for consistent 5 ft jumps unless you're smooth and hitting transitions landings. If you want to jump more than you like to pedal, you may need a beefier bike like the ASK or a $1,100 Turner RFX from Chad at Redbard- if you can fit a Large and if he has any left.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say thanks iviguy for pointing out my error. You are 100% correct...the "bob" I am speaking of is the rear suspension doing it's job.
    Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 11-18-2006 at 06:49 PM.