Bad Case of the Mondays

575 + Pike = Margin for error

Last night I was out on a local ride, but its a ride I dont do often due to crowds typical. Last night, we set off when it looked like it was going to pour down rain, so the crowds were minimal and we had a wide open, ripping descent after the 5+ miles of climbing.

This trail has lots of rocks on the edge of the trail that serve as launching pads. The other feature the trail has is a lot of water bars, with dips between the edges, usually about 3-5 feet apart.

Last night I was ripping down, saw a nicely shaped rock and decided to launch off it. The thing I failed to realize was that there was an uphill waterbar section and I was now traveling airborn right towards the face, essentially making a double out of the rock and waterbar.

Well I didn't quite clear the lip, which meant my 195lbs traveling at about 15mph was about to make pretty big impact.

Smack.

Well that wasn't so bad after all, just kept hammering right along. When I got back to the car I noticed I had used up about 95% of my front and rear suspension, but had not bottomed on the abrupt hit. Good news all around, as I really thought it was going to be one of those teeth rattling landings.

The bad news is sitting here at my desk, all I can think about is 'I think I can make that uphill double if I carry a little more speed'....

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Smack.

Well that wasn't so bad after all, just kept hammering right along. When I got back to the car I noticed I had used up about 95% of my front and rear suspension, but had not bottomed on the abrupt hit. Good news all around, as I really thought it was going to be one of those teeth rattling landings.

The bad news is sitting here at my desk, all I can think about is 'I think I can make that uphill double if I carry a little more speed'....
    Ha ha - my pike/575 has certainly saved my @$$ on several occasions. . . it sure is impressive what they can handle when you ride into something you didn't intend to . .

mtbr member

not as much fork...

but the bike has saved my bacon a few times... i've put myself on situations where I know that on my HT or Fuel (with XC fork and geometry), I would've been off the side of the trail or trapped in a rut with the only way out via bailing... The 575 just maintains its composure and says... "Dude, I got ya, just relax"... Of course, there was this one time in band camp when I hit a water bar that was just worked on at warp speed and the front and rear soaked it up with just a bit of loft in the rear to show for it.... Whew!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    the bike has saved my bacon a few times... The 575 just maintains its composure and says... "Dude, I got ya, just relax"
    I dig.

Ant

mtbr member
    my bike says the same thing except we speak in TALAS lingo