Thread: 575 performance

slamma
    May 2005

New question here. 575 performance

Is it reasonable to compare the all around performance of the 575 to a Giant Reign.
    visions come not to polluted eyes.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by richa831
    Is it reasonable to compare the all around performance of the 575 to a Giant Reign.
    The 575 has been around a while and the Reign I think is relatively newer to the market, isn't it?

Yeti 575 Review MTBR CHOICE Award

Giant Reign - 2 out of 3 ain't bad.... is it?

I think the 575 is in a class of its own though...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    If I am not mistaken the Reign has been around for 3 years now (2007 being the 3rd model year), so it is not THAT new.

In paper they should be similar, the reign has a smudge more rear travel, but nothing to write home about... maestro gets some good comments (haven't ridden one personally).

However the 575 rides great... I sure love mine... both are great bikes I think... try to test ride them if possible...

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

Reign V. 575

Bought a Reign in Feb '05. This was the one with the Manitou 3-Way Swinger rear shock.

In a nutshell? HATED IT! Just didn't ride well. Often times it felt dead when climbing or descending. Could feel it sissor when climbing out of the saddle. Hated the exposed shock on the downtube. Didn't do anything really well.

Bought a 575 frame, switched out most of the parts, and it's been an excellent bike ever since.

Granted, the '05 had the Manitou shock. I think they've gone to Fox, which might help with some of the problems. Although you still have the exposed shock area...

I realize that I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't like this bike.
    Oni

Who is John Galt?
    I tested the Reign the same day I tested the 575. In my opinion, completly different animals. The Reign is a beast, best suited for freeride, big hit, downhill stuff. But no way is it a good uphill bike. These bikes are apples and oranges. I really enjoyed the Reign but it wasn't THE bike. The 575 can do it all. If you want to compare Yeti and Giant, the Trance is closer although it lacks the 575's travel.
    What, me hurry?

slamma
    May 2005

Trance eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    I tested the Reign the same day I tested the 575. In my opinion, completly different animals. The Reign is a beast, best suited for freeride, big hit, downhill stuff. But no way is it a good uphill bike. These bikes are apples and oranges. I really enjoyed the Reign but it wasn't THE bike. The 575 can do it all. If you want to compare Yeti and Giant, the Trance is closer although it lacks the 575's travel.
    yeah, trance is probably a more accurate comparison, i think im gonna go with a yeti, a few weeks ago i was set on a moment, but i don't want to break my wallet, the yeti seems like one of the best deals for what you get, the reign may be a good package but i like to may different trails to limit my climbing abilities. thanks for the input everyone, ill be joining the yeti club shortly, ill send some pics of my build when the time comes.
    visions come not to polluted eyes.

Just roll it......
    I've got 3 friends with the 575's and I just got a reign ('05). While I've only got limited time on the 575, it feels frickin' awesome. Really, this is a very nice bike.....it doesn't hurt that my buddies all have them built really nice with 36's and sweet builds.

I'd say that these bikes are comparable, but different. Similar in travel and "intended purpose". Different in application of travel and the limits of the "intended purpose". The reign is a beefier frame.....no doubt about it The 575 definitely falls more on the lighter side of the AM spectrum while the Reign is on the beefier side of it. It's not unreasonable to build up a 30 lb. 575, whereas you would likely have a 2-3 lb. bike heavier with a similar build on the Reign.

Newer Reigns come with Fox rear shocks so if you hate the Swinger, that's not an issue any longer. Personally, I don't mind the Swinger so far, but it's taken some tinkering to get the proper amount of sag and to make it feel lively on small bumps and still climb well. I'm not 100% there yet, but I'm pretty close. One thing I've done is I'm going with the lowest possible psi for the SPV as I think the bike climbs pretty well already. Also, that's a key issue with these bikes.....setting sag. It's especially important for these bikes to get the sag in the 25-30% range for the suspension to work optimally.

I'm coming off a heavier bike so going to a bike in the mid 30's feels pretty frickin' light for an AM bike to me. For others, it'd likely be a tank. I can tell you I rode one of the more difficult FR trails in my area yesterday on the Reign (was really going to do trailwork and it's a big climb) and hit two good sized drops that I usually hit on my 8.2" travel DH bike. I was cautious and hit the trannies as smooth as possible and it handled them fine. I don't think I'd hit them on a 575, but my buddies could definitely prove me wrong on that.....but unlikely.

I'm going to make a cover for the shock to keep mud and crap from hitting it. Some dude on the Giant forum made some and i'm gonna try to track down his design.

Either way, you're gonna end up with a nice bike. Yeti's got the extra bling factor that you're not gonna get from riding a Giant......if that matters to you. It pedals really well and descends great. It's cool because it can be built lighter or built burlier...pretty damn versatile. I'm glad I got a reign because it fits my style of riding (and I have a DH and XC bike as well)......but I like the 575's a bunch. I wouldn't say it fits the "one bike" category because I don't believe ithat exists, but it's pretty darn close.

Cheers,
    EB

Who is John Galt?
    Interesting that this thread came up. I've been thinking of a Reign for a second bike and to give my son something to ride when he wants to come along. You can get one heck of a deal on a Reign or Trance from WheelWorld if you know someone in California -- they are walk-in deals only but for $799 on a Trance or $999 on a Reign that would almost pay for the drive. I had forgotten you can equip a 575 with 36 fork etc. and then it might be a better comparison to the Reign. But as others mention you don't get the Yeti bling factor. When I was looking I didn't see anyone specing carbon parts at that price. In fact I was trying to figure out what the catch was, any other boutique bike was a grand more than the Yeti, and FullCycles made it even better.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    I think ebx is right on the money. They are both high quality bikes, but the Yeti does fall on the aggressive XC side of things. I would base my decision on how much I plan to abuse the bike.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I'm one of ebx's buddies that ride a 575 with a pike and fairly stout parts. I agree that it's a pretty darn light bike and falls on the xc side of things. I came from a burly 6" "xc" bike and this bike feels totally different and climbs like a goat. I don't beleive one bike can be good at everything, so I'm fine with the compromises that come with this bike.

My overall impressions of the 575? Climbs fantastically, I love the low BB, rails smooth or flowy trails, nice moderately slack head angle good for going fast, simple design is nice, rear end feels a bit flexy, air shocks just can't compare to a Romic - but the tradeoff is fine. If I could change one thing I'd add 1/2 lb of metal and stiffen up the rear.

Would I buy the bike again? Probably not, I'd go a pound or so heavier and not have to sweat getting a couple feet of air. I really like the design of the transition covert for xc. I figure I'll break the Yeti a time or two (I've got a long history), but Yeti has a stellar warranty, so I don't really care.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I have to chime in here...

I rode the heck out two different 575's here in rocky, loose, rocky, dry and dusty, rocky San Diego.

We have many trails that can truly test the suspension of any bike.

For some reason the 575 wasn't able to match the rock crushing abilities of the 06 Reign. Sure the 575 was a bit lighter and climbed well, but the Reign with the FoxRP3 moves up hill just as well. In fact I dont notice any weight issues when climbing...and I climb a LOT.
    (climbing is a major factor for me and I need a bike that can go up)

The Reigns suspension is much better at dealing with square edge rocks both up and down. it never seems to lose momentum - which is key to making through techy rock gardens.

I've never bottomed out the Reign - but I sure did the 575...and I only weigh 160 pounds! The Yeti guys were great in setting up the suspension for my weight and riding style.

The 575 seemed to stall somewhat and never gave me the confidence to truly hammer through the rough...it would make it - but it just seemed to deflect more.

I really, really wanted to buy the Yeti and the Yeti factory crew are awesome people - but after all the tests I went with the Reign - and I'm happy that I did.

I won't be able to out-ride the Reign as it's super stable, and can handle just about anything we have here in the Southwest.

I don't buy a bike every year and really wanted a bike that could climb, go down pretty much anything, and on occasion hit Mammoth for a DH run or two.

I'm very happy with the Reign. True the bike snobs here don't give me the "love" on the trail or oggle my ride (well a little) but F'em it's all about riding and having fun in the mountains.

Good luck in your decision,
    Peace
    It wasn't me

Who is John Galt?
    I've got to agree with your take on the square edged bumps which in all the reviews I've read is attributable to bikes with single-pivot suspensions. However, I talked with a hardcore yeti rider last weekend who told me if my suspension is packing up on square edges I need to work on the rebound setting. He had some other good advice, like actually riding for a minimum of 45 seconds before moving the O-ring up to check sag. He says having someone hold the bike and climbing on won't cut it, you need to get the shock moving to overcome stiction. On rebound his advice was t get it set and then go one click faster on the fork. It all made sense while we were talking but of course now I've forgotten half of what he said. I can't imagine the Reign climbing with the Yeti though, it just seemed so heavy to me. Also the steering was way slow, which is not a bad thing in technical terrain but would be a deal-breaker on the twisty stuff I ride.
    What, me hurry?