mtbr member

575 as long travel xc? or as all mountain?

I don't mean to post a dumb thread, and if I am I'm sorry. I've seen a lot of different builds of 575's, some with Fox 36's and Pike's, some with Fox 32's, etc. I want to build a 575, but I'm not sure whether I should build it up xc like (Fox 32 Float/Vanilla, Race Face Deus components) or more all mountain (Fox 36 Float, Race Face Atlas components). Have you 575 riders found that one type of build suits the bike better than the other? Right now, I have a Giant AC as my all mountain bike, its a 37 lbs beast, with Race Face Evolve DH parts, Sun Singletrack wheels, Marzocchi Z1. I think the parts on my Giant would be better suited on an ASX. However, I wouldn't want 2 similar bikes with a 575 and an ASX, I would rather have an ASX I can pedal uphill if necassary, and a 575 that's my long travel xc/am bike.

Paste eater
    all depends on what you want... the reason you see different builds is people prefer(and use) the 575 for diffrent types of riding. The same can be said for alot of AM frames.

Build it like you're gonna ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    I don't mean to post a dumb thread, and if I am I'm sorry. I've seen a lot of different builds of 575's, some with Fox 36's and Pike's, some with Fox 32's, etc. I want to build a 575, but I'm not sure whether I should build it up xc like (Fox 32 Float/Vanilla, Race Face Deus components) or more all mountain (Fox 36 Float, Race Face Atlas components). Have you 575 riders found that one type of build suits the bike better than the other? Right now, I have a Giant AC as my all mountain bike, its a 37 lbs beast, with Race Face Evolve DH parts, Sun Singletrack wheels, Marzocchi Z1. I think the parts on my Giant would be better suited on an ASX. However, I wouldn't want 2 similar bikes with a 575 and an ASX, I would rather have an ASX I can pedal uphill if necassary, and a 575 that's my long travel xc/am bike.
    it sounds like you just answered your own question... keep the AC as your big hit rig, and build the 575 up more XC-ish. If you start breaking components on the 575, replace the parts with something more suitable to your style of XC.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I agree with the others, the behavior totally depends on the build. I built a mostly all-mountain type bike (except for the XTR cranks, which even though light are still strong) with my 575 and I'm quite happy with it.

Its far from a 37lb AC tank (I know as I've ridden a lot of ACs around the Front Range), but isn't a AS-R either. You could build up a 27lb 575 that will climb well but still be reliable and fun to ride on.

mtbr member
    Yea, I guess, I should have made my question something more like this: Should I get a 575? Or would it be better, since I have a heavy duty all mountain rig to build an ASR-SL?
    Seeing that you can build a sub 30lbs 575 without much difficulty pretty much answers my question I suppose.

Another question: How many 575 riders have the carbon version? Does the carbon version effect the all-mountain-ish-ness, or is it just a lighter frame? There's a good chance I'll be racing some super d on this bike, and I dont want to be riding it on harder stuff than it's meant for (if I were to get the carbon version). To be honest though, I have a feeling I know what your answers will be.....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Just my 2 cents... I took most of my parts from a Spec Epic to my 575 and put a Pike in the front, so if you ignore the fork it is a pretty XCish build... it is still under 30 pounds (don't know exactly, there are digital bathroom scale numbers...) Anyhow, as other have commented the 575 can be built sensibly light and stout without any "crazy light" parts.

On the carbon rear, I didn't want to get it, since I am not THAT worried about weight, but I am pretty sure it is up to the task. However, it does restrict the maximum width of your tires more than the alu rear end.