gainlessly unemployed

575 lateral stiffness?

I'm curious about the 575. It seems to have everything I'm looking at in a new frame, weight, travel, geometry etc...

How is it in the corners? My heckler had a very noticable flex even at slow speeds that annoyed the piss out of me. I don't expect the rear to be as stiff as my SC Chameleon but I don't want to deal with absurd flex.

Ultimately, I am wondering how much the swing link and the carbon pivots do to isolate the lateral flex.
    Laek House shirts for sale!
    Support Fledgling American Industries!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    If I lean really hard on the back triangle (195 lbs currently), I can see it flex a bit. When I'm riding my bike, I've never felt it on the trail.

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    If I lean really hard on the back triangle (195 lbs currently), I can see it flex a bit. When I'm riding my bike, I've never felt it on the trail.
    Can I ask what other duallys you've had? Maybe it'l be different this time since I'll have different expectations of frame stiffness.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I've owned a Cdale Jekyll and a Specialized FSR XC.

Before buying the 575, I also put significant time on a Turner 5 Spot, Ventana X5 (probably the stiffest bike), and a Titus Motolite. My decision came down to the 5 Spot and 575, ended up on a 575. All great bikes, but price/performance really pushed me to the Yeti.

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I've owned a Cdale Jekyll and a Specialized FSR XC.

Before buying the 575, I also put significant time on a Turner 5 Spot, Ventana X5 (probably the stiffest bike), and a Titus Motolite. My decision came down to the 5 Spot and 575, ended up on a 575. All great bikes, but price/performance really pushed me to the Yeti.
    Yeah, the 575 & Motolite have the best values by far and they're where my eyes are.

Was there a noticable difference between those two?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Tame Ape
    Well when you are looking at high end bikes, they're all great bikes with each having an advantage/disadvantage that somewhat differentiates them from the others.

IMO, the 575 was a bit more of an all day, epic type of a bike that was plush and fun on the downhills but still a capable climber. The ML was a little more XCish/racer feeling to me. The ML would probably be great on all day epics as well, but while feeling a little less plush.

I live near the ski resorts, so when I started thinking about lift assisted downhill runs in the summer, the 575 seemed to win that battle with more travel and more relaxed angles, which work better for my style of riding.

The big problem I had with the ML was being in between sizes. I tried a Med, then a Large and tried 3 different stems on each bike but never really felt "at home" on it. The Large 575 felt great to me, all I did was go to a slightly shorter stem. I also really never expected to use the adjustable travel of the ML, so that wasn't really a selling point for me. The 575 climbs great in the firm propedal mode on the RP3, so I see no reason to need to adjust the rear travel. I do find myself dropping the fork's travel on long, steep climbs but not that much anymore.

The 575 just felt a little more "all mountain" and a little less "XC racer", and that was exactly what I was looking for. Two great bikes, really can't lose either way.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Yeah, the 575 & Motolite have the best values by far and they're where my eyes are.

In terms of stiffness the ML is a stiffer bike than the 575. But you can't compare the ride quality of the 575. It's just so far beyond the ML that it was no comparison to me at all. Also if you take a look at the price you will see that you get a whole lot more bike with the 575 than you do with the ML for the same price.

I thought I was feeling a little flex but to be honest I am sure that the flex I am feeling is in the wheels. In fact I know it is. If stiff is really what you are after though, look at the Ventana. I didn't notice much of a difference between the ML and the 575 stiffness wise. But like I said, the suspension of the 575 just blows away the ML. IMO

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As iviguy says, if you want stiff then look at the Ventana X5 or El Salt. My choice came down to the X5 or 575 and I went with the X5 based on how solid the Ventana felt.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

gainlessly unemployed
    I'm trying to set myself a hypothetical pricepoint of $1400 for the frame. This knocks the X5/Salty & Turner & carbon tailed 575 out for me.

Thanks for the advice!

In my mind, I can do it!
    I'm trying to set myself a hypothetical pricepoint of $1400 for the frame. This knocks the X5/Salty & Turner & carbon tailed 575 out for me.

Thanks for the advice!
    You can get a 19" 2004 X5 frame from Ventana for $1595 which isn't too bad.

Check around on the prices, I bet you can get the carbon tailed 575 for that price if you looked. Yeti dealers will work with you on the price.

thats right living legend

Thanks for the advice!

Listen, if stiffness is important to you than it's the Moto-Lite all the way. It's absolutly one of the stiffest frames around, actually that's primarly what it's known for.

If by some saying more XCish they mean not as plush as the 575 than there right, but to me that's not necassarily more XCish there are lots of guy's going on the bigger side of things with the ML.

In the end if stiffness is a primary concern it's ML all the way. But the 575 is truly a fantastic bike, and I would try for a test ride, you might not even find it at all flexy for you. I really think if youve got a bug up you ass for the 575 already, theres not alot on that bike that will really let you down.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode a Heckler for 4 years - the 575 is stiffer laterally.
    Wheels also will make a big difference to the lateral stiffness of any bike.
    Crossmax SL's are really stiff.

chaser

screamer

Yes, for me there was. If you do a search on this & the Titus board you'll find many arguments for and against both bikes, with stiffness being the key issue. The biggest difference seems to be around the bottom bracket, and not so much the rear triangle. It gives the two bikes different personalities, which will suit different riding styles. Ride both; you'll know pretty quickly which is right for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Thanks for the advice!
    $1400 is well within the Carbon 575 price range Yeti 575 (frame or complete bike) . Bonkey is the one to talk to.

But back on topic, I am currently building a carbon 575 and just popped on the boards to see what pressures to set the shock and fork at. The flex of the rear triangle is scaring me quite frankly. In the garage push test it's more flexy than my '01 ellsworth truth. Hopefully will be able to ride later today and see if its a enough to bother me.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    In terms of stiffness the ML is a stiffer bike than the 575. But you can't compare the ride quality of the 575. It's just so far beyond the ML that it was no comparison to me at all.
    I don't mean to come over to the yeti board and tell you that you're wrong, but I guess I am- sorry!

The 575 and motolite are both great bikes with different feels- the Yeti has more travel and is more linear. The Motolite has less travel and is very progressive. As others have said, ride both and you will know immediately which is for you- if you like to climb out of the saddle, throw the bike around, and generally sprint between trail features, the motolite wins hands down. It is seriously stiff (downtube is nearly the width of the bottom bracket) and very bob-resistant thanks to it's progressive spring curve. If you are more of a sit-n-spin type who wants a plush bike with lots of travel for rough epic rides, then the Yeti wins. I know for sure the motolite is better for me, just as I understand why my 575 owning friends prefer their bikes- we just have different riding styles.

Both bikes are incredible values and very well made so you can't go wrong. Black vs. white comparisons don't do either bike justice- it depends on rider preferences.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    $1400 is well within the Carbon 575 price range Yeti 575 (frame or complete bike) . Bonkey is the one to talk to.

But back on topic, I am currently building a carbon 575 and just popped on the boards to see what pressures to set the shock and fork at. The flex of the rear triangle is scaring me quite frankly. In the garage push test it's more flexy than my '01 ellsworth truth. Hopefully will be able to ride later today and see if its a enough to bother me.
    I set my RP3 pressure 10lbs below my actual ride weight and it felt very good. It's going to come down to what kind of ride you want. If I go up to 5lbs below my actual weight the ride is significantly more hardtail-ish and you feel the trail more. Lower pressure and it's much more plush.

On the fork, I have no idea what you have. I have the Revelation and have the recommended pressure range but with 10psi more in the negative side than the positive. Feels much like a Vanilla.