Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    25

    575 - Didn't see any at the races?

    I rode a couple of XC races this weekend that had a lot of climbing. I didn't see any another 575s out there. I did see a TON of ASR-SLs. But I thought I'd at least see some 575s and was surprised.

    These were my first two races ever, so I don't have a lot to compare to. But I thought my 575 performed very well. I managed 3rd place finishes in each race and was pretty happy. Love this bike.

    Why no 575s on the race course? There were 500+ riders at the race!

  2. #2
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,910
    Quote Originally Posted by guilow
    These were my first two races ever, so I don't have a lot to compare to. But I thought my 575 performed very well. I managed 3rd place finishes in each race and was pretty happy. Love this bike.
    You should be very happy with two 3rd place finishes. Assuming you are talking about Winter Park series, that is impressive as I've often been told that the sandbaggers come out of the woodwork for this series.

    Quote Originally Posted by guilow
    Why no 575s on the race course? There were 500+ riders at the race!
    Most XC racer types will choose AS-R over 575 for weight and efficiency. There will be the occasional few who race a 575, but that isn't what it is made for. I doubt anything on the course really required the 4" of the AS-R, let alone 5.75". I know several racers around here that have both an AS-R and a 575, trail ride on the 575 and race on the AS-R.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    25
    Yes, the WP series. Just in 'Beginner' class tho, so no need to start thinking about a special race bike vs. trail bike. On bike fits all!

    I will say that it is fun to pass the guys riding the SLs with my big 'ol 575.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    What is your set up on the 575?

    Quote Originally Posted by guilow
    I rode a couple of XC races this weekend that had a lot of climbing. I didn't see any another 575s out there. I did see a TON of ASR-SLs. But I thought I'd at least see some 575s and was surprised.

    These were my first two races ever, so I don't have a lot to compare to. But I thought my 575 performed very well. I managed 3rd place finishes in each race and was pretty happy. Love this bike.

    Why no 575s on the race course? There were 500+ riders at the race!
    Did you see any other trail bikes at the race???
    Sit and spin my ass...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JustMtnB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    491

    575 Racing

    I did a XC race this past weekend with my 575. 24 miles, lots of climbing, but mostly XC ski trails so not very technical. I think it did pretty well, but my finish was only so-so because I am not in good racing shape. I debated taking my old Trek 8500 hardtail, but couldn't turn down using a trailbike against other people on hardtails and weenie XC bikes. The only change I made to the setup was swapped out the Minions for some Conti Explorers I had laying around which saved about a pound of rolling weight and decreased rolling resistance.

    I did see one other 575 there, so at least I wasn't alone. Also some other people had trailbikes like Stumpjumper FSR's, Trek Liquids, etc.

    Dirty bike pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
    I did a XC race this past weekend with my 575. 24 miles, lots of climbing, but mostly XC ski trails so not very technical. I think it did pretty well, but my finish was only so-so because I am not in good racing shape. I debated taking my old Trek 8500 hardtail, but couldn't turn down using a trailbike against other people on hardtails and weenie XC bikes. The only change I made to the setup was swapped out the Minions for some Conti Explorers I had laying around which saved about a pound of rolling weight and decreased rolling resistance.

    I did see one other 575 there, so at least I wasn't alone. Also some other people had trailbikes like Stumpjumper FSR's, Trek Liquids, etc.

    Dirty bike pics below.

    dirt, it is wholesome.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: connie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Last year I went out on a group ride with a bunch of XC racers. (I race DH and my 575 was my XC bike). And more than one person asked if my 575 was my DH bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    56
    I'll be racing my 575 Carbon twice in the next week, and at least right now I'm confidant I can do fairly well on it. The last couple races I have been to, I have seen a few 575's, however not too many. It may be a bit heavier than the ASR-SL, but I'm sure that I'm going to have more fun than them of the downhill
    -Jeff

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JustMtnB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Last year I went out on a group ride with a bunch of XC racers. (I race DH and my 575 was my XC bike). And more than one person asked if my 575 was my DH bike.
    I know how that goes, some of the people I ride with think I am a freerider because I keep talking about getting a bigger fork to replace the TALAS and I'll do 3' drops and rip the downhills faster than them.

  10. #10
    crash and burn at 45
    Reputation: drydirtrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    250
    I'm racing my 575 at the WP 24 hr race in september, should be fun. I might be faster on my Jamis, but I'll have more fun and probably less physical abuse riding my yeti

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •