Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 575- busted!

mtbr member

575- busted!

not sure what to say. I was riding at about 8-10 mph, came to a junction and hit the brakes, and CRACK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Bummer! I am sure Yeti will take care of you.

Keep us posted,
    Cris

mtbr member

Cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kev1n
    not sure what to say. I was riding at about 8-10 mph, came to a junction and hit the brakes, and CRACK.
    Get a new frame from yeti, then sell it, and then get a 5 spot. Best move ever....
    Sit and spin my ass...

Rear triangle only (guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Get a new frame from yeti, then sell it, and then get a 5 spot. Best move ever....
    I suppose he will get only a rear triangle (not a complete new frame)

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum. Didn't you switch to Turner? Why do you feel you need to comment on every post. It seems like to me you are insecure with your 5-spot, so you spend time here badmouthing the 575 so that you can justify spending two months rent/mortage just on a frame.

Also, with all the online, Yeti-Forum posting that you do, it seems like you don't have any time to ride.

Look, I've had my dreaddies looking all fly, and I have just about ever Bob and Peter album there is, and I've been to reggae on the rocks and reggae on the river more times than I can possbily count, I enjoy the lamb's bread, and have been to Jamaica (and some other caribbean islands) with a friend to study music. I'm certainly not a Rasta, but, it seems to me your constant obsession with bike frames, well, it isn't too irie at all.

"Thin you know everything
    And worship the bling and deny King
    You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum. Didn't you switch to Turner? Why do you feel you need to comment on every post. It seems like to me you are insecure with your 5-spot, so you spend time here badmouthing the 575 so that you can justify spending two months rent/mortage just on a frame.

Also, with all the online, Yeti-Forum posting that you do, it seems like you don't have any time to ride.

Look, I've had my dreaddies looking all fly, and I have just about ever Bob and Peter album there is, and I've been to reggae on the rocks and reggae on the river more times than I can possbily count, I enjoy the lamb's bread, and have been to Jamaica (and some other caribbean islands) with a friend to study music. I'm certainly not a Rasta, but, it seems to me your constant obsession with bike frames, well, it isn't too irie at all.

You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian
    well said

mtbr member

haha

I woke up this morning a little depressed about the broken frame. Luckily, you put this @ss-clown in his place and cheered me up.

In my mind, I can do it!

You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian
    Give Zion a break... He had a 575 and at the time is was the "best bike ever" with a pushed RP3 and VXC wheels. He just got a little itchy to get something new and decided to go with a 5-spot. No big deal. My hunch is that he really misses the 575 now but is trying to convince himself that the 5-spot switch was a good thing so he is just trying to get a little support. He just needs someone to validate to him the choice was a good one. I think that is why he hangs out in this forum. He is fishing for someone to say that he made the right decision.

Give it time, he will eventually sell the 5-spot and get an ASX or something...

mtbr member

On a positive note....

It's comforting to see the carbon pivot bending that much without snapping... Like Monty Python says... "Always look at the bright side of life...". I've also seen someone post on this board about breaking a rear triangle and the dealer took a rear triangle off of a 575 on the floor and put that on the main triange. While you're at it, you can also ask if you can upgrade to the new carbon stays (if carbon stays don't freak you out too much).

mtbr member
    I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum.---Damian
    Because he's a friggen troll!

mtbr member

Spot VS. 575 - different but equal.

FWIW, over the past 3 seasons I've had a 575, switched to a Spot, then back to a 575. Both frames were dreams to ride, but accomplished things a bit differently. Final thoughts? I'm stoked to have 2 great options with 2 great companies. I think it's natural that people tend to be stoked about what they're currently riding - it's a pretty strong undercurrent in all the manufacturing forums. So Zion Rasta, enjoy your Spot. And Iviguy? Be prepared to love your 575. It's just not the kind of situation where one has to lose for the other to win.

Mavsports

mtbr member
    The carbon pivot did delaminate and splinter a bit, but it did bend a lot at first, more than is shown in the pic. I straightened it out a bit so that the rear wheel would roll -the tire was touching the seat stay- so it doesn't look nearly as bad now as when it happened.

I don't think I'll go to the carbon stay, since I don't have the extra couple hundred $ and it's a part I'd probably smash on a rock in a week's time.

Anyway, I'm taking it to a dealer this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    It's comforting to see the carbon pivot bending that much without snapping... Like Monty Python says... "Always look at the bright side of life...". I've also seen someone post on this board about breaking a rear triangle and the dealer took a rear triangle off of a 575 on the floor and put that on the main triange. While you're at it, you can also ask if you can upgrade to the new carbon stays (if carbon stays don't freak you out too much).

mtbr member

Feelin' ire

I'm certainly not a Rasta
    You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian
    I once had a conversation with a rasta man in a cantina in Negril, Jamaica. He was cooking jerk chicken. I spent 4 hour just talking to the guy and learning the teachings of his majesty Ras Tafari Hail Slasie I.

He told me:

"...you do not have to have dreads to be a rasta, the dreads are in your heart..."

Yeah, I know, I miss my Yeti. But the 5 spot is good.

I wish we could somehow all get together and ride.

I love you guys!!!

And, no I am not a troll. I just get a bit opinionated about this stuff. I do like the spot, I liked the yeti's plushness. I wish I could have both.

The spot is living to the expectations.

I hang out in this forum because I like the people that hang out here.

The Spot has the same parts that were on the yeti......
    Last edited by Zion Rasta; 06-01-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    Sit and spin my ass...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    FWIW, over the past 3 seasons I've had a 575, switched to a Spot, then back to a 575. Both frames were dreams to ride, but accomplished things a bit differently. Final thoughts? I'm stoked to have 2 great options with 2 great companies. I think it's natural that people tend to be stoked about what they're currently riding - it's a pretty strong undercurrent in all the manufacturing forums. So Zion Rasta, enjoy your Spot. And Iviguy? Be prepared to love your 575. It's just not the kind of situation where one has to lose for the other to win.

Mavsports
    Very well said.... I can't wait to ride the new bike. The bill hit my account today so the means it's ships today...

trail "cleaner"

what year of frame?

How long have you been riding this bike? You're the first one I've seen post a broken 575 frame. I've been bombing my '05 now for 1.5 years on some of the roughest trails here in AZ (South mtn).
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    The frame is an '04 and almost exactly 2 years old. I'm heavy (200 lbs fully equiped), I ride a lot, and ride pretty hard. Only the rear shock, stem, seatpost and brakes are left from the original "Disc" build. Everything else has been broken or worn out.

Just dropped it off at the shop and the new rear tri is on the way. Good to see Yeti stands by their product and didn't hassle me much about it. After looking at it closely, the weld that failed is definitely sloppier than the others on the bike. Hopefully that can have it back together in the next 8-10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    How long have you been riding this bike? You're the first one I've seen post a broken 575 frame. I've been bombing my '05 now for 1.5 years on some of the roughest trails here in AZ (South mtn).

Great news

The frame is an '04 and almost exactly 2 years old. I'm heavy (200 lbs fully equiped), I ride a lot, and ride pretty hard. Only the rear shock, stem, seatpost and brakes are left from the original "Disc" build. Everything else has been broken or worn out.

Just dropped it off at the shop and the new rear tri is on the way. Good to see Yeti stands by their product and didn't hassle me much about it. After looking at it closely, the weld that failed is definitely sloppier than the others on the bike. Hopefully that can have it back together in the next 8-10 days.
    I hope the rear triangle gets there fast.

Cheers,
    Cris

trail "cleaner"

That's great to hear Yeti's CS is as cool as their guys I met during their demo tour that came down here to AZ. Now, if you only had two of them, you wouldn't be missing a ride while waiting for your new rear Triangle to arrive See.... there's a method behind my madness of owning two 575's.
    No dabs allowed!

bi-winning
    Ouch. Good to hear a replacement is on the way.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I just got the call from the shop. She's all ready to be picked up. New rear tri, new pivot bearings. Too bad I won't be able to get away from work to pick her up until tomorrow or Friday

mtbr member
    Picked her up last night. Shiny new rear tri, new pivot bearing too.

When did Yeti start putting the neoprene chainstay protector on?
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail "cleaner"

Yeti chainstay protector

Picked her up last night. Shiny new rear tri, new pivot bearing too.

When did Yeti start putting the neoprene chainstay protector on?
    '06 models get the cool protector Glad to see yours is back ready for action. Now, hit the trails!!!!
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I recently cracked mine at the BB just below the main pivot. Nothing catastrophic, but it made a loud creaking noise until I figured out it was a crack and not my BB cups. Yeti sent me a new front triangle really fast and the customer service was second to none. They even let me change the triangle size to large instead of medium. I'm right in between sizes and the large feels a lot better now.

EDR
    Good news all around. I had a good customer service experience with them a few months back as well. It cost me a few bucks for a crash replacement swingarm but the cost was reasonable and the blame for the damage goes on me...

mtbr member

Again!

Broken rear triangle, obviously caused by a bad weld. Warranty replacement, cost me about $70 bucks for labor at the local shop. No big deal.

Fast-forward ~1 year.

Beautiful day out. Riding along a fire-road, just climbed about 2k, maybe 8 miles from the car. I feel my rear wheel dragging on the seatstay. F*ck. I don't even have to look down to know what happened.

Sorry for the poor quality phone-camera pics, but they get the idea across. Another bad chainstay weld.

Special thanks to El Santo for reverse-shuttling me down off of table mountain, even after he totally shredded his knee taking gnarly hucks and drops on the descent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast