Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 575- busted!

mtbr member

575- busted!

not sure what to say. I was riding at about 8-10 mph, came to a junction and hit the brakes, and CRACK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Bummer! I am sure Yeti will take care of you.

Keep us posted,
    Cris

mtbr member

Cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kev1n
    not sure what to say. I was riding at about 8-10 mph, came to a junction and hit the brakes, and CRACK.
    Get a new frame from yeti, then sell it, and then get a 5 spot. Best move ever....
    Sit and spin my ass...

Rear triangle only (guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Get a new frame from yeti, then sell it, and then get a 5 spot. Best move ever....
    I suppose he will get only a rear triangle (not a complete new frame)

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum. Didn't you switch to Turner? Why do you feel you need to comment on every post. It seems like to me you are insecure with your 5-spot, so you spend time here badmouthing the 575 so that you can justify spending two months rent/mortage just on a frame.

Also, with all the online, Yeti-Forum posting that you do, it seems like you don't have any time to ride.

Look, I've had my dreaddies looking all fly, and I have just about ever Bob and Peter album there is, and I've been to reggae on the rocks and reggae on the river more times than I can possbily count, I enjoy the lamb's bread, and have been to Jamaica (and some other caribbean islands) with a friend to study music. I'm certainly not a Rasta, but, it seems to me your constant obsession with bike frames, well, it isn't too irie at all.

"Thin you know everything
    And worship the bling and deny King
    You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum. Didn't you switch to Turner? Why do you feel you need to comment on every post. It seems like to me you are insecure with your 5-spot, so you spend time here badmouthing the 575 so that you can justify spending two months rent/mortage just on a frame.

Also, with all the online, Yeti-Forum posting that you do, it seems like you don't have any time to ride.

Look, I've had my dreaddies looking all fly, and I have just about ever Bob and Peter album there is, and I've been to reggae on the rocks and reggae on the river more times than I can possbily count, I enjoy the lamb's bread, and have been to Jamaica (and some other caribbean islands) with a friend to study music. I'm certainly not a Rasta, but, it seems to me your constant obsession with bike frames, well, it isn't too irie at all.

You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian
    well said

mtbr member

haha

I woke up this morning a little depressed about the broken frame. Luckily, you put this @ss-clown in his place and cheered me up.

In my mind, I can do it!

You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian
    Give Zion a break... He had a 575 and at the time is was the "best bike ever" with a pushed RP3 and VXC wheels. He just got a little itchy to get something new and decided to go with a 5-spot. No big deal. My hunch is that he really misses the 575 now but is trying to convince himself that the 5-spot switch was a good thing so he is just trying to get a little support. He just needs someone to validate to him the choice was a good one. I think that is why he hangs out in this forum. He is fishing for someone to say that he made the right decision.

Give it time, he will eventually sell the 5-spot and get an ASX or something...

mtbr member

On a positive note....

It's comforting to see the carbon pivot bending that much without snapping... Like Monty Python says... "Always look at the bright side of life...". I've also seen someone post on this board about breaking a rear triangle and the dealer took a rear triangle off of a 575 on the floor and put that on the main triange. While you're at it, you can also ask if you can upgrade to the new carbon stays (if carbon stays don't freak you out too much).

mtbr member
    I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum.---Damian
    Because he's a friggen troll!

mtbr member

Spot VS. 575 - different but equal.

FWIW, over the past 3 seasons I've had a 575, switched to a Spot, then back to a 575. Both frames were dreams to ride, but accomplished things a bit differently. Final thoughts? I'm stoked to have 2 great options with 2 great companies. I think it's natural that people tend to be stoked about what they're currently riding - it's a pretty strong undercurrent in all the manufacturing forums. So Zion Rasta, enjoy your Spot. And Iviguy? Be prepared to love your 575. It's just not the kind of situation where one has to lose for the other to win.

Mavsports

mtbr member
    The carbon pivot did delaminate and splinter a bit, but it did bend a lot at first, more than is shown in the pic. I straightened it out a bit so that the rear wheel would roll -the tire was touching the seat stay- so it doesn't look nearly as bad now as when it happened.

I don't think I'll go to the carbon stay, since I don't have the extra couple hundred $ and it's a part I'd probably smash on a rock in a week's time.

Anyway, I'm taking it to a dealer this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    It's comforting to see the carbon pivot bending that much without snapping... Like Monty Python says... "Always look at the bright side of life...". I've also seen someone post on this board about breaking a rear triangle and the dealer took a rear triangle off of a 575 on the floor and put that on the main triange. While you're at it, you can also ask if you can upgrade to the new carbon stays (if carbon stays don't freak you out too much).

mtbr member

Feelin' ire

I'm certainly not a Rasta
    You're in 2 deep"
    ---Damian
    I once had a conversation with a rasta man in a cantina in Negril, Jamaica. He was cooking jerk chicken. I spent 4 hour just talking to the guy and learning the teachings of his majesty Ras Tafari Hail Slasie I.

He told me:

"...you do not have to have dreads to be a rasta, the dreads are in your heart..."

Yeah, I know, I miss my Yeti. But the 5 spot is good.

I wish we could somehow all get together and ride.

I love you guys!!!

And, no I am not a troll. I just get a bit opinionated about this stuff. I do like the spot, I liked the yeti's plushness. I wish I could have both.

The spot is living to the expectations.

I hang out in this forum because I like the people that hang out here.

The Spot has the same parts that were on the yeti......
    Last edited by Zion Rasta; 06-01-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    Sit and spin my ass...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    FWIW, over the past 3 seasons I've had a 575, switched to a Spot, then back to a 575. Both frames were dreams to ride, but accomplished things a bit differently. Final thoughts? I'm stoked to have 2 great options with 2 great companies. I think it's natural that people tend to be stoked about what they're currently riding - it's a pretty strong undercurrent in all the manufacturing forums. So Zion Rasta, enjoy your Spot. And Iviguy? Be prepared to love your 575. It's just not the kind of situation where one has to lose for the other to win.

Mavsports
    Very well said.... I can't wait to ride the new bike. The bill hit my account today so the means it's ships today...

trail "cleaner"

what year of frame?

How long have you been riding this bike? You're the first one I've seen post a broken 575 frame. I've been bombing my '05 now for 1.5 years on some of the roughest trails here in AZ (South mtn).
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    The frame is an '04 and almost exactly 2 years old. I'm heavy (200 lbs fully equiped), I ride a lot, and ride pretty hard. Only the rear shock, stem, seatpost and brakes are left from the original "Disc" build. Everything else has been broken or worn out.

Just dropped it off at the shop and the new rear tri is on the way. Good to see Yeti stands by their product and didn't hassle me much about it. After looking at it closely, the weld that failed is definitely sloppier than the others on the bike. Hopefully that can have it back together in the next 8-10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    How long have you been riding this bike? You're the first one I've seen post a broken 575 frame. I've been bombing my '05 now for 1.5 years on some of the roughest trails here in AZ (South mtn).

Great news

The frame is an '04 and almost exactly 2 years old. I'm heavy (200 lbs fully equiped), I ride a lot, and ride pretty hard. Only the rear shock, stem, seatpost and brakes are left from the original "Disc" build. Everything else has been broken or worn out.

Just dropped it off at the shop and the new rear tri is on the way. Good to see Yeti stands by their product and didn't hassle me much about it. After looking at it closely, the weld that failed is definitely sloppier than the others on the bike. Hopefully that can have it back together in the next 8-10 days.
    I hope the rear triangle gets there fast.

Cheers,
    Cris

trail "cleaner"

That's great to hear Yeti's CS is as cool as their guys I met during their demo tour that came down here to AZ. Now, if you only had two of them, you wouldn't be missing a ride while waiting for your new rear Triangle to arrive See.... there's a method behind my madness of owning two 575's.
    No dabs allowed!

bi-winning
    Ouch. Good to hear a replacement is on the way.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    I just got the call from the shop. She's all ready to be picked up. New rear tri, new pivot bearings. Too bad I won't be able to get away from work to pick her up until tomorrow or Friday

mtbr member
    Picked her up last night. Shiny new rear tri, new pivot bearing too.

When did Yeti start putting the neoprene chainstay protector on?

trail "cleaner"

Yeti chainstay protector

Picked her up last night. Shiny new rear tri, new pivot bearing too.

When did Yeti start putting the neoprene chainstay protector on?
    '06 models get the cool protector Glad to see yours is back ready for action. Now, hit the trails!!!!
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I recently cracked mine at the BB just below the main pivot. Nothing catastrophic, but it made a loud creaking noise until I figured out it was a crack and not my BB cups. Yeti sent me a new front triangle really fast and the customer service was second to none. They even let me change the triangle size to large instead of medium. I'm right in between sizes and the large feels a lot better now.

EDR
    Good news all around. I had a good customer service experience with them a few months back as well. It cost me a few bucks for a crash replacement swingarm but the cost was reasonable and the blame for the damage goes on me...

mtbr member

Again!

Broken rear triangle, obviously caused by a bad weld. Warranty replacement, cost me about $70 bucks for labor at the local shop. No big deal.

Fast-forward ~1 year.

Beautiful day out. Riding along a fire-road, just climbed about 2k, maybe 8 miles from the car. I feel my rear wheel dragging on the seatstay. F*ck. I don't even have to look down to know what happened.

Sorry for the poor quality phone-camera pics, but they get the idea across. Another bad chainstay weld.

Special thanks to El Santo for reverse-shuttling me down off of table mountain, even after he totally shredded his knee taking gnarly hucks and drops on the descent.

Broken rear triangle, obviously caused by a bad weld. Warranty replacement, cost me about $70 bucks for labor at the local shop. No big deal.

Fast-forward ~1 year.

Beautiful day out. Riding along a fire-road, just climbed about 2k, maybe 8 miles from the car. I feel my rear wheel dragging on the seatstay. F*ck. I don't even have to look down to know what happened.

Sorry for the poor quality phone-camera pics, but they get the idea across. Another bad chainstay weld.

Special thanks to El Santo for reverse-shuttling me down off of table mountain, even after he totally shredded his knee taking gnarly hucks and drops on the descent.
    Bummer, kev1n!

I hope it gets sorted fast... I am sure the Yeti guys will take care of you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Bummer, kev1n!

I hope it gets sorted fast... I am sure the Yeti guys will take care of you

They had the new rear tri out here within a few days last time. The last time I checked, the LBS had a 25 day lead time though. At least this is a good excuse to swap out the bearings and maybe go with a Ti bolt kit...

new and improved
    Okay, now that is funny.

Yeti should either hire you as a product tester, or tell their welder to lay off the bong at work (undoubtedly said bong was fashioned from broken 575 rear triangles - maybe the little carbon widget thing doubles as a carb?).

Two breaks in *exactly* the same spot on a frame = an unacceptable design flaw. Yeti should be embarrassed that they haven't solved this problem on their best-selling frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    Two breaks in *exactly* the same spot on a frame = an unacceptable design flaw. Yeti should be embarrassed that they haven't solved this problem on their best-selling frame.
    I am a proud 575 owner and I agree!. This is not a one series issue nor is it a specific welder. The fact that Yeti will take "good care of us" is barely a remedy for the issue.
    One thing I'd love to have is an MTBR consumer report like there is with cars and other goods. People should know if they get the Toyota/Honda (Or Lexus/Acura in our case) or a Jaguar (Ford?).

trail "cleaner"

gotta love...

Yeti Stands behind their product for 5 years! Looking at other boutique bike builders... Not so good Funny how of all the rear triangles I've seen broken.. they've all been on the brake side.... Must be a clue! Stay off of the brakes!!!!!!! Or, note to YETI, maybe they should beef up that particular dropout.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    I've gotta say this thread will bring out the haters! It seems like most manufacturers have *some* type of flaw *some* of the time. I was a loyal specialized customer before I rode a yeti. I had a friend with an FSR that broke a chain stay, I had an FSR I broke a chain stay on. I had an enduro that I broke a chain stay on, and cracked the frame at the shock mount on a separate occasion. What i'm saying is just deal with it. How many people drive a brand new automobile that hasn't had some type of warranty service done? It sucks that you are going through this, but I think yeti is a pretty stand up company.

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    I've gotta say this thread will bring out the haters! It seems like most manufacturers have *some* type of flaw *some* of the time. I was a loyal specialized customer before I rode a yeti. I had a friend with an FSR that broke a chain stay, I had an FSR I broke a chain stay on. I had an enduro that I broke a chain stay on, and cracked the frame at the shock mount on a separate occasion. What i'm saying is just deal with it. How many people drive a brand new automobile that hasn't had some type of warranty service done? It sucks that you are going through this, but I think yeti is a pretty stand up company.
    I have a friend who tried to get warranty work on his FSR when a chainstay broke. They wouldn't cover it. They said that the swingarm wasn't part of the 'frame'. I'm not sure that is the case now but it is obvious that Yeti takes care of their customers. I haven't seen many companies that have CS as good as Yeti's, before and after the sale.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    I have a friend who tried to get warranty work on his FSR when a chainstay broke. They wouldn't cover it. They said that the swingarm wasn't part of the 'frame'. I'm not sure that is the case now but it is obvious that Yeti takes care of their customers. I haven't seen many companies that have CS as good as Yeti's, before and after the sale.
    Maybe the Big S considers the swingarm a part of the wheelset...hehe... It's like saying to someone with a cracked downtube, "I'm sorry, the downtube is connected to the headtube which contains the headset. Therefore, you should try to get it warrantied by the headset mfr."...

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Maybe the Big S considers the swingarm a part of the wheelset...hehe... It's like saying to someone with a cracked downtube, "I'm sorry, the downtube is connected to the headtube which contains the headset. Therefore, you should try to get it warrantied by the headset mfr."...

and yeah.. Yeti's after sales service rocks

Waiting for Godot........
    Jul 2006
    glad to hear that yeti stood behind their frames.

i've been riding my 575 a little harder than designed for and it has not ever given any complaints. good stout frame.

i do some welding to and that weld is hard to get right. such a small area that needs complete penetration and not get overheated is challenging. remember grasshopper you must use total concentration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973

I'm worried that this is past the point of being *some* type of flaw *some* of the time, and that there is a systematic problem with engineering / manufacturing

mtbr member
    I'm worried that this is past the point of being *some* type of flaw *some* of the time, and that there is a systematic problem with engineering / manufacturing
    I'll agree that any breakage is not good, but when there are only a few complaints of a certain part failing, i would hardly call that a systematic failure. It would be different if they all did it........

gnuH
    What diameter rear disk are you running?

mtbr member

203mm shimano

Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    What diameter rear disk are you running?
    as recommended by Crisillo.

Crisillo, congrats on the 10,000 posts!!!!

I hope you get your bike fix fast. That is why I have a flux and a spot, and a SS, and a Roadbike, and a couple of frames laying around - just in case....

The guy that bought my 575 broke the frame too and yeti replaced it no problems.

I have not seen a 575 in Indiana since I had mine.

Tha ASR-sl looks really fast... back up bike anyone???

I HATE SHIMANO STICKY PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    203 mm Hayes 9 front and back.

Who is John Galt?
    Hmmm...I think we now know the weak spot on the 575. Wonder who is making that weld?
    What, me hurry?

Bomber
    Kev, you think you could swing her by the shop so I can take a look in person, maybe take some pics with a camera?
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

gnuH
    203 mm Hayes 9 front and back.
    I though it looked a little on the large side. I was forming a theory that the larger disk puts more stress into the weld under braking, but I see in the other thread that a French guy with a 160mm rotor suffered the same failure. Anyway, there is a limit to the amount of braking you get through the rear without locking up anyway, regardless of rotor size.

as recommended by Crisillo.

Crisillo, congrats on the 10,000 posts!!!!

Thanks ZR!

I love a big disc on the rear, but personally I run a 180mm.... it already has more than enough power.... however Yeti claims the rear should take without issue a 200mm rotor, so it should, right?

major bummer on the failures, but it still too little number to be calling on a "major design flaw" IMO.... as unclegreaser said it is a complicated weld, so maybe some improvement can me made to increase the welding area.... or maybe just go with DW's split-pivot
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-15-2007 at 02:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Thanks ZR!

I love a big disc on the rear, but personally I run a 180mm.... it already has more than enough power.... however Yeti claims the rear should take without issue a 200mm rotor, so it should, right?

mayor bummer on the failures, but it still too little number to be calling on a "major design flaw" IMO.... as unclegreaser said it is a complicated weld, so maybe some improvement can me made to increase the welding area.... or maybe just go with DW's split-pivot
    I agree, Its still too small a number to call "Major Design Flaw" My Lexus 6disk cd changer broke in my car within the first year. Lexus will not replace it or recall although I literally know 200 people with the same problem. For a company that makes lets say 5000 frames a year, if only 100 frames are bad thats not good enough for any kind of "recall" in my opinion.

But being a new year coming up, they should do what they can to fix the problem. As thats what new releases of bikes are for- every year has to have an improvement.

BTW I'm getting my 575 next week hopefully. I'll give her a thrashing once she arrives in my arms and see how she holds up.
    I like rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner

BTW I'm getting my 575 next week hopefully. I'll give her a thrashing once she arrives in my arms and see how she holds up.
    cool...please post back with your impressions

mtbr member
    Sure. You going to be around Thursday afternoon?

mtbr member
    The first time it failed, I was running 160's.

203's shouldn't be a problem- Yeti says you can use them.

trail "cleaner"

better poll Question...

The first time it failed, I was running 160's.

203's shouldn't be a problem- Yeti says you can use them.
    We could be on to something here. Maybe the poll should be... those with broken rear triangles.... what size rotor are you using? My bet is anything over 160mm will induce a greater breakage %. My .02 as those that I've seen broken were either 180mm or > rotors with riders in the 200+ pound range. Again, I think Yeti should beef up that dropout to cure the problem. I'm lucky so far.... neither of my two 575 rear triangles have failed and I do put them through the paces here in AZ on the technical rocky terrain.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Me too !%$!/!

Happens 4 weeks ago....
    180 mm rotor
    180 lbs rider

Yeti replaced it quickly....at least. Clearly a weak spot to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast