mtbr member

575 Bottom bracket screw-thread problems

So my brand new 575 frame arrived yesterday. So far so good.

When i started to build the bike i got stuck with mounting the bottom bracket.

The screw-thread of the frame seems to be very poor, at least in the first 2-4 mm.

I tried several bottom brackets, but none of them would fit. I even had the thought that the bottom bracket fitted a little bit oblique..

As far as i know there are a lot of 575 owners on this forum, so maybe anybody can tell me if this is a regular problem on Yeti's?

Thanks in advance

mtbr platinum member
    Before you try threading in any more BB's, take it to your local shop and have them chase the threads properly. The probably just need to be cleaned up. They should have the tool.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Usually Yeti frames are well prepped from what I have heard (I have only seen my own, so I can't generalize ), however as bikerx40 suggested, your LBS should be able to chase the beginning of the threads, just to make everything ok
    Last edited by crisillo; 11-12-2006 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked DJ
    So my brand new 575 frame arrived yesterday. So far so good.

When i started to build the bike i got stuck with mounting the bottom bracket.

The screw-thread of the frame seems to be very poor, at least in the first 2-4 mm.

I tried several bottom brackets, but none of them would fit. I even had the thought that the bottom bracket fitted a little bit oblique..

As far as i know there are a lot of 575 owners on this forum, so maybe anybody can tell me if this is a regular problem on Yeti's?

Thanks in advance
    There is something very wrong here. The Yeti i got was the best prepped frame I have ever seen. After watching the video on their website i can see why. After the frame is received from the painters and assembled it's placed on a mill machine and all the prep work is done that way, not with hand tools.

Call Yeti and see what they say, if it were me i would return the frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's so far

Next week my LBS will chase the thread. If that will not work, i will contact Yeti or Bromley bike (where i purchased it).
    As I live in The Netherlands sending it up and down to the UK is a very expensive business for a problem that can be solved near my house.

If chasing the thread fails, i will contact Yeti asap.

That should do it.... I am in the same situation, I live in Germany, but bought my frame in the States, so I try to solve stuff locally.... luckily I have not needed to "fix" anything thus far...

mtbr platinum member
    This may be dumb idea, but I'm assuming that you know the Crank side is a reverse thread right? Just another thought that might save some trouble if you didn't already know that...
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    This may be dumb idea, but I'm assuming that you know the Crank side is a reverse thread right? Just another thought that might save some trouble if you didn't already know that...
    Yes, copy that. I have mounted a lot of bottom brackets in the past years, but this is the first one that gives trouble.

For now i decided to let things go into the hands of the bikeshop. I guess they can diagnose the situation of the thread. I've seen worser in my life, but don't want to ruin a brand new frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked DJ
    Thanks for the reply's so far

Next week my LBS will chase the thread. If that will not work, i will contact Yeti or Bromley bike (where i purchased it).
    As I live in The Netherlands sending it up and down to the UK is a very expensive business for a problem that can be solved near my house.

If chasing the thread fails, i will contact Yeti asap.
    Hopefully it will just need a cleaning but if the threads are damaged or the BB shell is really dented and oblique I personally would get a new frame and not tap new threads.

2 other things to look out for: I don't mean to disparage your mechanical skills but you know the drive side BB is reverse threads and the cups are left/right specific. And are you using new bottom brackets? I had a new frame in which i was using up my old BBs in and thought the frame had a crappy prep job done to it because the BBs went in very rough. After i ran out of used parts and had to use a new BB it went in like butter. Maybe the threads on your BBs are damaged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    After i ran out of used parts and had to use a new BB it went in like butter. Maybe the threads on your BBs are damaged.
    I tried 3 different 'as good as new' bottom brackets. The thread on 2 of them was not dirty or damaged at all.

And yes i know that bottom brackets has different threads (as you explained)

The judgement will be done by the local bikeshop. The will first try it with a new one (after refreshing the thread)

As far as i can see it now it is not a big deal (just a matter of freshing things up), but i'm pretty sure that if i had proceeded the job it would become a big deal (read: screwed up thread).

But thanks again for the input!

all day long
    Re-chasing your bottom bracket is more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Maybe, just to serve as a reminder to oneself than wrenching is as much an art as it is a science. Not cappin' on you, I made the same mistake, and had to have my bottom bracket re-chased. My LBS, the kick ass guys @ the Irvine Bike Company took care of it while I waited and didn't charge me more than $15 bucks.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I don't think you did any major damage that would affect the integrity of the frame. I don't think this is common, I think it's more human error as I am attributing in my case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    There is something very wrong here. The Yeti i got was the best prepped frame I have ever seen. After watching the video on their website i can see why. After the frame is received from the painters and assembled it's placed on a mill machine and all the prep work is done that way, not with hand tools.
    Not with my frame.... bummer.
    @ Ratt: Are you sure that this video was valid for the Taiwan made frames of Yeti?

The LBS fixed it with a firm rechase of the screw-thread. The bottombracket is mounted and the bikes setup is complete.
    I went for a very little tour yesterday evening... What a dreambike

Thanks so far for the support and replies! They were really helpful!

And where are the pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    And where are the pics?
    The few i made yesterday are really poor quality, but if you push me

The red seatpost is going to be replaced by a black Thomson and the crankset will be replaced by an Deore XT HTII version.

Now that's a looker!

How does it feel with the Reba? I have used my Pike at 110mm, but only on really steep climbs...

mtbr member
    The Reba feels good so far (rode only a mile or so)
    Had to wind it down to 100mm to get a more XC-racy feeling, but at 115mm it was good as well.
    Not much of experience so far, but i'm sure i will in the near future