Thread: 575 bar width

Who is John Galt?

575 bar width

Does anyone else find the RaceFace Next Carbon bars on the 575 too wide? Where I ride they like to run the trail between two tight trees, I'm missing lots of skin where I keep rubbing the trees. Just waiting to catch one on the grips. My hardtail bars are much narrower, but the trade off seems to be a really twitchy bike and I don't want that on the Yeti.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    yo big jim

I was just thinking I'd like to go w/ something wider.

I currently have some carbon fiber Easton somethingorothers (I'll check if you're interested)...they're wide, but not reeeaaaalllllyyyy wide.

Would you consider a trade? You might lose an inch from each side, and I'll gain a bit.

whattya say?

Who is John Galt?
    If I replace my bar it's going to be the heavy Bontrager on my hardtail. I was thinking of getting an Easton for the yeti and swaping the Race Face to the HT. I'll see how it goes, still don't have the Yeti back from the shop so my point of reference is kind of old. Will let you know what i do.
    What, me hurry?

GTL
    mtbr member
    Big Jim; Race Face does say you can cut them down a bit.
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

Who is John Galt?
    That;s what I was thinking of doing. But oh man, I cringe just thinking about it!
    What, me hurry?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    That;s what I was thinking of doing. But oh man, I cringe just thinking about it!
    why?

fwiw i have the RF Next CF bar. It's fine for me. I want stability on the d/h and techie stuff, not tight steering. But then again, here in Phoenix I don't run between a lot of trees, just cacti, and many of them are at knee level, lol.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Or

you could just cut a notch out of the trees!

GTL
    mtbr member
    Big Jim;

I had contacted Race Face and asked them about cutting down the bar. They responded yes - just use a fine tooth blade. I bought a blade, put it on the bench. I look at it every now and then but... I just can't get the nerve up to use it!
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTL
    Big Jim;

I had contacted Race Face and asked them about cutting down the bar. They responded yes - just use a fine tooth blade. I bought a blade, put it on the bench. I look at it every now and then but... I just can't get the nerve up to use it!

I hear you! I think Joeboater's idea is a good one. Our trail builders really love to split those trees with the trails, makes you take a deep breath and steer real careful at speed.
    What, me hurry?