Dream Design Dig Repeat

575 - 1st rides - got the geo dialed!

I bought a new 575 with the Enduro kit a few weeks back and finally got it all together with a few rides under my belt. She's dialed and feelin' fine!

I made a few changes to the kit to better suit my style:
    * Kept my older wheels, Mavic EX823: fat and tubeless!
    * Ditched the carbon bars: aluminum handles abuse better
    * Sold the Fox Vanilla and bought a Pike 454 Air
    * Other details - king HS, comfy WTB seat, lock-ons, Nevegals

Took her on 2 rides and noticed the geometry felt wierd - adjustments were needed. I'm 6'2 and like a medium cockpit for my size and this sucker felt long and light in the nose while climbing, but still hard to pull up the front when in the air. I pulled out the angle finder and tape measure and found that the seat tube is really slack. Time for some changes:

* Ditched the Race Face seat post that has a 0.5" set back for a straight Thomson. A lay-back post seems like an odd choice for a bike with this geometry. I still felt a little stretched and I had to work a bit to get the front up.
    * Replaced the 90mm stem with a 70. ChaChing! Now it feels perfect, just like my old bike.

How it rides
    I went from a heavy frame, heavy fork, heavy coil shock to this all-air bike. Dizzam it climbs fast! I've always been a decent climber, even with my 35lb "xc" bike, but now I just hammer. On the downhills it feels nice and balanced and I can really rail. The suspension feels active and plush. Probably not quite as nice as the Romic, but damn close and good enough. I'm in the school of thought that geometry is more important than suspension, and I have it set up just how I like it. I haven't noticed much brake squat, but haven't been on the levers too much in the first 3 rides at Tiger Mountain and Tokul West.

I don't like to fiddle with adjustments too much on the trail, except for raising and lowering my saddle. The RP23 is nice like this, I just leave it in setting #2 for climbing and flip the lever to full-open for level or descents. Same with the Pike 454 Air U-turn. I probably won't use the travel adjust enless on epic climbs, but the on-off feature is nice for climbing up fire roads and then open it all the way for descents.

A lot of friends have asked my about the RP23, so here's how it works. The pro-pedal is on or off (full open) by flipping the blue lever. When it is on, you can choose one of 3 settings. 1 has quite a bit of pro-pedal. 2 has a LOT of pro-pedal (climb out of saddle no prob). 3 is almost locked out. The shock is fairly linear, but I still think that no air shock is as buttery as a coil - but's its pretty darn good. On a trail bike this is fine with me.

SRAM rocks!!! The shifters and derailleurs feel great, snappy, and this thing runs very, very quiet! (Too bad I have a noisy King hub). I run 1 finger braking, and the triggers plus Juicy's are easy to swap positions. One ride on this and I bought srams derail/shifters for my big bike.

I only have 3 nit-picks with the frame, and none of these are too big of a deal to me... so far.

1. The rear end feels a bit flexier than my old bike, a heavy Azonic Saber. I like steel hard tails, so this doesn't bother me, and there's not wierd chain, tire or disc rubbing. I just hope it holds up to heavy use, but the reviews seem like I'll be fine.

2. The air shock feels like it blows through the mid-travel fairly fast, and for my aggressive riding I need to put quite a bit of extra air in the chanber. I still get decent sag, so I think this is just me needing to get used to an air shock. If I could swap out a smaller canister on this bike, I'd do it.

3. This thing is really light, my build is probably around 31 or 32 lbs (yeah, light is relative). This is actually a good thing, but I hope it holds up. I ride hard, I ride a lot, and I'm relatively smooth. But I still break a lot of parts, so we'll find out. If I get 3 years out of the frame I'll be very happy. Warranty guys - keep your eyes on me!

So far, I'm quite happy. I got the geometry dialed and I'm really enjoying how fast this bike climbs.
    Last edited by juice; 08-14-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    * Other details - king HS, comfy WTB seat, lock-ons, Nevegals
    You must not be riding in the WTB saddle that comes with the bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    iviguy
    you're insane.
    The WTB Speed V is a classic seat, loved by many.

Maybe your butt is too big?

Who is John Galt?
    Hey, Yeti users just deal with saddle pain. Just like have cockleburrs in your butt fur. Nothin wrong with that saddle...
    What, me hurry?

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    You must not be riding in the WTB saddle that comes with the bike...
    Nope, sent that to Goatboy001, or whatever he calls himself on these here boards to put on his ASX. He likes pain more than I do. I put on a torn and tattered old Speed V.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    iviguy
    you're insane.
    The WTB Speed V is a classic seat, loved by many.

Maybe your butt is too big?
    Perhaps the "speed" V is a classic. The "rocket" V feels like riding on a 2"x4'' after a few minutes.... But what the rocket looses in comfort, the Yeti makes up for in the same catagory.

And my butt is not too big. The saddle is just too small, that's all....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

WTB Saddles

I know that saddles are like shoes. The rocket feels more like a race saddleor maybe a comfy road one, not for all day comfort. It is not bad for maybe and hour or two. The 1" wider Pure is tons more comfortable and I never really seen it mentioned much. It doesn't feel as "fast", but the wings/tail on back do hold you on better with little sliding off of the back. As with all of the WTB's you need a decent amount of nose in the air to ride right.