Who is John Galt?

575 1st ride report

Primised a report when I got my new turqouise 575 up and running. I got it together Thursday and spent a restless day at work waiting for that first ride. Hit the trail about 5:30, took it to Binder Park in Jefferson City for the test run. Binder was designed from the ground up for mountain bikes and it throws a little of everything at you. It is basically a stacked loop that gets progressivley more challenging as you advance into it. It's famous for fast, swooping curves, frequent plunges into a deep creek and short but steep climbs followed by steep descents. There's also some wood bridges, log piles and a log to ride.

short story is the Yeti handled everything that came along with no problem at all. I have the Nevegal StickE tires and they hang to the packed clay and rocks like claws. What amazed me is when I got done riding I realized I did the whole thing in the middle ring up front, never needed those lower gears. On my old bike I crawled up hills praying for just one more gear.

The other really impressive thing is just how fast this bike is and how well it handles. Sharp curves have never been my thing, but with this bike I started braking until I had it lined up, then just leaned and poured on the pedals. It comes out of the turns like it was launched from a slingshot -- too fun!

I did find I don't know how to launch this bike into a jump. Maybe need to play with the shock and fork some so that I can preload for jumps. Otherwise just can't seem to get the front end off the ground.

I pretty much changed everything with this bike. Went from a hardtail to a FS, steel to aluminum frame, SPD to Time pedals, Shimano to SRAM shifters, not to mention 2 more inches of travel.

Next step is to dial in the suspension. I'll get some photos up soon.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I knew you would love this bike. Stiffen up your suspension for this area. Start with about 15% sag and you can preload for your hops and jumps very easily. After a while and after getting used to the suspension at 15%-25% sag, you will find it very easy to preload at any sag.

For this much travel, there are few bikes that can both play the XC game so well and switch to light Freeride with everything in between. Just tune your suspension and have fun. The 575 is pretty forgiving too so it's easy to ride and learn from mistakes and keep getting better.

mtbr member
    ive had my turqouise team for a week now and i have put almost 80 miles on it. it is great, it feels like a 3-4" bike when climbing, but allows me to bomb down hill and still corner like crazy. i have been running the maxxis crosspoint 2.1 tires and i love them, they slip just a bit every once in a while but i think that has more to do with my weight distribution on the climbs more than anything. ill give an update on the thing here in a few weeks when i get my new Talas fork on the front and ditch the unadjustable Vanilla. I have always wanted a boutique type bike and this is as close to one as i think i will get and man am i happy that i manned up and dropped the change for a non off the shelf/outta the box bike.it feels good when everyone one on the trail is asking, "where did you get that Yeti, those bikes are awesome," or " man the color on that thing is sick, i've always wanted a Yeti."

Lee

Who is John Galt?
    Here's my bike, along with a photo of me carrying the old one across the creek and one of my Yeti Girl Emily in original team colors:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What, me hurry?

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

didn't....

want to get your bike wet?
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member

nice ride

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Here's my bike, along with a photo of me carrying the old one across the creek and one of my Yeti Girl Emily in original team colors:
    Enjoy!.
    GB

mtbr member
    So, WHY are you carrying your bike? It should carry you (espacially if the water ist THAT shallow...)
    Last edited by Egika; 07-11-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Who is John Galt?
    That was late in an epic ride and parts of me were very sore!
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Sweet. I still love that team color and probably it would be a draw between the team and the black at this point. The black ano is tough though. I have had a few spills on rocks and just brush the rock marks off the ano which leaves no marks..

You are quite brave to post a pic of you walking your bike over a little stream on this board. Do you walk it over the dirt as well so as not to get the tires dirty? No wonder you were sore and tired.. you have to ride the bike, not the other way around...

Just kidding...

Keep the pics coming!

smw
    pedal pusher
    Does that happen to be a new 140mm fox fork? Im wanting to change my Talas for a 140mm Vanilla, anybody have one yet?

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is that a water floatation vest you're wearing? I'm just kdding, of course but at first glace, it made me wonder

I like water crossings as long as I don't submerge too much- prefer right under BB height if rocks look mossy like this one time when I walked the bike across. I was glad I did since I slipped a couple of times. I've yet to carry it though.

I have a feeling you will hear about this pic for a little while

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Is that a water floatation vest you're wearing? I'm just kdding, of course but at first glace, it made me wonder

I like water crossings as long as I don't submerge too much- prefer right under BB height if rocks look mossy like this one time when I walked the bike across. I was glad I did since I slipped a couple of times. I've yet to carry it though.

I have a feeling you will hear about this pic for a little while

OK, I'm moving that picture to the Gary Fisher forum, those guys will understand! Here's a new one that proves I at least rode some of it. Did anyone notice I wasn't riding in any of the Yeti pictures either?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    SMW-Sean- it is not the 140 it's the 130mm 2006 Vanilla, im trading it out for the new 2007 Talas!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh man, I liked that picture. You were almost ready to become a legend of sorts around here. Put it back before someone draws a caricature of you carrying the bike

Okay, I see it now- good!!

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Man....

We are a rough tribe.....but what bike are you riding? Not the tourq. Yeti........
    got to bust on ya for a little bit.....still a nice ride.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice bike . Glad to see that you finally got it and are riding it! I havn't stopped since I bought mine 2 weeks ago

Who is John Galt?
    Now here's my dillemma -- two sons are back for awhile, both covet my new Yeti. going to need two more! My plan is to buy a frame and start upgrading mine, putting the old parts on the new frame. Got to sell the other kidney first...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    thank god it was low tide or you would have never made it,, dont take nothin from nobody if you ride a YETI,,did you get those motivs yet?

nice marmot.
    it's kind of like a triathlon... you have the swimming and the running and the, wait, no, forget it... there is no biking here! saddle-up cowboy!!! ride that beautiful steed!!!
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

nice marmot.
    had to chime in again... you know it is possible to drown in a puddle! just givin' ya a little heat big jim mac!
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

Who is John Galt?
    OK, I rode the Yeti through the creek and now the tires are dirty. Thanks a lot for pushing me to that desperate act. Going to have to get a new one now. Plus I had my sister's shorts on and she is mad because the mud got on them...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Big Jim Mac, How do you like your King Cobra bike rack. Been thinking about getting that one. Just curious as to how well it works for your bike vs. a fork mount.

Who is John Galt?
    The Cobra is great. I bought it when I put the disc brakes on my Fisher. They hit the tray on the Copperheads with the fork off. I could have ground a place for the caliper but always liked th eidea of not taking the wheel off. Gets me on the trail a lot faster. I need one more. Taking the wheel off with the disc brakes sort of scared me, always afraid someone was going to sqeeze the lever.
    What, me hurry?