mtbr member

5.5 shock issues out of the box

Anyone have any problems with their float x evols? Frame came in last week an rode it for the first time... Didnt feel anything like the bike I demoed and then noticed after the 1st ride I had oil dripping down my downtube. Now my shop is saying they will send back to fox and doubtful I will have it back for a race the next weekend that is already booked hotel and all. Even if fox can fix it I really dont want if back as it was bad from the factory. Any chance I would have better luck contacting yeti directly? Seems to me like they should just be sending me a new shock as this one obviously made it past their QC... Thoughts?
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    the least the shop can do is to put you on a loaner shock until this gets figured out so you don't miss your race!

I think fox will send a brand new shock instead of fixing whatever the problem is

mtbr member
    well that's what I'm hoping for and probably gonna push for... don't want a shock back that was crap right out of the box, chances are it'll never be right. Shop offered me a loaner bike, but don't really wanna race a loaner

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Will the shock from the loaner bike fit on your 5.5? I'd ask the shop to swap it over if it does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    getting a loaner bike seems like a proper response from the shop. they or shops in general, may not have shocks sitting around that also fit specific frames.

seems like the loaner bikes is best option.

Sent with Tapatalk

mtbr member
    yeah I'm less worrried about a loaner than I am about Fox trying to Paint a terd by just "fixing" this shock and sending it back

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    yeah I'm less worrried about a loaner than I am about Fox trying to Paint a terd by just "fixing" this shock and sending it back
    The most common failure is going to be a serviceable item like a seal,...so the assumption that it failed once it's a turd is completely out of line until someone who knows what they are looking at can qualify if there is a production flaw or a simple assembly flaw in the seals. If it comes back and fails in short order than yes, it's a turd and needs replacement or a better set of eyes on it.
    SB5.5c XL M70HV EagleGold
    BearGrease Bluto XL XTR 2x10/1x
    SB95c L EnveAM Pike140 XTR 3x10
    ASRc L RS-1 120 EnveM60 XTR 1x11

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Buy a Fox Float X2 & sell the Float X when you get it back. The X2 should have came stock on the 5.5c IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Fox will make sure it is right. Infant failure happens and it is not a huge deal.

mtbr member
    you really think the X2 is best for this bike? Reading through the 5.5c thread seems to be mixed opinions on the float x vs the x2 for the 5.5.. I know I've always had better luck with aftermarket shocks on all my bikes so I wouldn't be surprised..

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    my LBS has moved a bunch of 5.5s and when I mentioned that I would prob move my X2 over onto one, they said they'd gotten feedback from more than one customer that they had trouble getting the X2 to feel good on the bike. somebody was even struggling with the 11.6 on that bike. the shop guys like the stock float X on that bike. I'm not taking it as gospel as I like the X2 quite a bit on my current bike but it was interesting feedback from guys that shred and know the bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    my LBS has moved a bunch of 5.5s and when I mentioned that I would prob move my X2 over onto one, they said they'd gotten feedback from more than one customer that they had trouble getting the X2 to feel good on the bike. somebody was even struggling with the 11.6 on that bike. the shop guys like the stock float X on that bike. I'm not taking it as gospel as I like the X2 quite a bit on my current bike but it was interesting feedback from guys that shred and know the bikes.
    Any idea what it was about the ride quality the unsatisfied riders were experiencing? I'd think with such a flat leverage curve the setup would be fairly easy. Just put in an extra volume reducer or two to ensure you have enough ramp up at the end of the stroke.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Any idea what it was about the ride quality the unsatisfied riders were experiencing? I'd think with such a flat leverage curve the setup would be fairly easy. Just put in an extra volume reducer or two to ensure you have enough ramp up at the end of the stroke.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Exactly! Just add a volume spacer to the x2 to make it more progressive. I added a bigger volume spacer on the float x and it made a big difference. By the way the 11 6 works great as well, just don't go too light on the spring weight. I am 195 pounds and run a 475 pound doing with one and a half turns of preload. Works great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Fox will make sure it is right.
    It just might take a few tries.