Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EDR

3 guys shoot'n the shiite - SB75 thoughts - Bike Bible review

From the 2014 Bible of Bike Tests in Sedona:

Many of you have seen this already but if not....
    I will say that the sentiment of two of these riders/reviewers have towards the SB75 are a mirror image of what first came to my mind when I saw the specs on this bike.
    -heavier than the 66???
    -less travel than the 66???
    -steeper H/A???
    -what benefits does this bike offer over a 66? 650B wheels? Not a benefit imo, certainly not when considering I'd need a new fork, tires, etc just to ride it...for what, less than an inch of increased wheel diameter?

I'll also add that I have not test ridden a SB75. The demo fleet is coming to town very soon so I hope to get a leg over one for an hour or so out in the desert. But still, I can't quite pinpoint why I would choose this bike over a 66. If the 75 was maybe a 1/2 or a full pound LIGHTER than the 66 then maybe it would make sense with the less travel and steeper angles but it's not. I'm starting to think that in the near term it's going to mainly be a stop-gap type bike trying to fill a void that was pushed on the market overnight...650B.

Sounds like there are new and exciting things coming up from Yeti very soon. In the mean time the more I read about the 66 the more I want one before they are gone.

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 01-08-2014 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Those guys are great. And correct.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just makes me appreciate my sb66c even more...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Just makes me appreciate my sb66c even more...
    Ya, it's really unfortunate the market is pushing new wheel sizes. Yeti (like all bike companies who want to stay in business) are feeling compelled to step up with 27.5 or fear losing out. I don't blame them one bit. But still, it's a total bummer for the 'hard core' group. The 66 seems to be the bee's knee's (minus some maintenance issues and such) and soon it might go to the waste side simply b/c the market will dictate a change.......for no other reason than the sake of change. I mean, look at what the Yeti employees themselves are picking from the stable to go hoot and holler on lunch time rides...and they have every bike to choose from.

Arggh!

Bikes!
    This is exactly what I found when I test rode a Tracer 275 compared to the 26" bike so I can totally relate to what Seb and the other guy are saying. The 275 is an awesome bike but so is the Tracer 2, the wheels made little difference to me.
    Last edited by Just J; 01-09-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm in the camp of very-skeptical about 650b mtn bikes, but to me it seems more like the industry trying to sell something for their sake not the cyclist' sake. Which, really, is just good business practice from most points of view ... they need sales to keep their share-holders happy.

Of course it's heavier. duh. I'm sure yeti doesn't want a relatively weak frameset, they're hurt more by breaking-frame flamewars than bike-is-a-bit-heavy flamewars. I also think it's stupid to focus so heavily on frame weight when it's within a few pounds ... if a rider is really held back by that much non-wheel weight on the bike then I think they have bigger issues. full-disclosure: for most of my MTB life in adult-hood I've been in the 230+ pound camp so bike weight perception is probably different than someone in the buck-and-a-half club.

I'm not sure the head angle complaint is worth a cup of water. you need to consider the change of trail caused by the larger wheel radius. we're only talking about ~ 0.75 of a degree difference here after all (140 fork on sb75 vs 150 fork on sb66), or maybe a whole degree if you put a 160 fork on the sb66.

While I'm happy for those what can afford it I don't think it's reasonable to expect consumers to have two 'trail' bikes - a 26er and a 29er. I'd think most people are looking for a bike that'll work in pretty much any condition they throw at it. If these people spend any significant bike-park style riding - or 'am' trail riding to that level - then the sb66 is the clear direction. After that things get muddled quickly. I feel lucky that I can (mostly) afford to have a DH bike and another bike...otherwise I'd not have a DH bike and not go park riding, but my main ride needs to deal with everything else.

On one hand I like to agree with a bunch of the discussion but on the other hand I want to feel their elitest spoiled bike-snobs.

undercover brother
    I'm betting you will see a swap-out wheel size frame come soon. SB76 with 6 in of travel and using dropout chips to swap between 26 and 650b wheels. Also, the SB75 was never meant to take the place of the SB66 (although it seems it has died). It was meant to be a trail bike, where the SB66 is a true AM bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    no-one mentions the 650 575 for 2014. I know its not "switch" but seems it got a few things right from the start - travel range.

A good single pivot bike can do a lot of things really well. It would have been interesting had they been able to compare it with the sb75 for the test... just saying

Long live the ASR-7
    That's exactly how I'd feel about the 75 I'm afraid. I am really stoked on the new 575 though.

I had an 08 575 that I loved, but I was pushing it beyond it's capabilities by taking it to the bike park and on regular DH runs. The QR rear, weak rear triangle and non-tapered head tube wasn't made to stand up to the punishment I was giving it. I got an ASR-7 to replace it and damn, it is an amazing bike. Everything I loved about the 575 and so much more.

With the design upgrades over the last few years to the 575, it has made it a much more capable and solid bike. It can still be built light enough for XC duty too. I'm looking to buy a 650b 575 for my everyday rides and compliment my ASR-7.

mtbr member
    I don't think they are in anyway replacing the SB66 with the SB75.
    IF you go on the Yeti site, the 75 is in the trail category and the 66 is in the all-mountain category with the 575.

I have been on 650b for several years, and really like them, but, damn, the prices for the SB66c are really tempting...

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    IF you go on the Yeti site, the 75 is in the trail category and the 66 is in the all-mountain category with the 575.

I have been on 650b for several years, and really like them, but, damn, the prices for the SB66c are really tempting...
    Yes, but they will not be producing the SB66 anymore.

mtbr member

If you want an SB66c, better act fast. Yeti can't sell the 26" version of the SBs, so they aren't going to make them anymore. I just scored a 66a frame for half off, so look for deals, they are out there.

mtbr member
    After riding all 3 of the SB's, I'd completely agree with these guys. The 75 is still a good bike, but didn't amaze me in any way like the other 2. Currently debating whether to get a 95c or a new 575. Would get a 66c if the price was cheap enough but in Aus no deals going atm.

mtbr member
    On vitalmtb.com, they have a recent post announcing Hannah Barnes will be racing for Yeti in 2014…on a SB66c. Kinda odd, if they are indeed phasing it out.

EDR

Re: 3 guys shoot'n the shiite - SB75 thoughts - Bike Bible review

On vitalmtb.com, they have a recent post announcing Hannah Barnes will be racing for Yeti in 2014…on a SB66c. Kinda odd, if they are indeed phasing it out.
    Which is sad and kind of my point. Great bikes are being phased out due to stupid market demand. The true rider still know what he wants but its not enough to keep a great bike alive.

I'm sure yeti will produce a great 650b version of the SB 66. But not because they want to, but because they have to.

mtbr member
    If you look at the Santa Cruz Bronson, it is superior to the Blur LT it replaced.
    The 650b wheels are not the only reason but definitely add to the equation.

I think - hope - ultimately that the SB76c will be superior to the SB66c. Perhaps even addressing other issues (maintenance) too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's still *the* bike to race on, even if market pressure is sending it to an early grave. Yeti doesn't exactly have a stash of new models for their pros. They did offer her up a nice custom paint scheme, though.

mtbr member
    I really wish this review focused more on comparing the 75 to other 650b bikes on the market (Bronson, Altitude, etc.) rather than comparing it to the 66 or 95.

I've always felt like the 650b movement was driven by the fact that some people didn't like the way 29ers handled but wanted the benefits of the bigger wheels. Then came along the 95 as well as other "new-school 29ers" that handle like smaller-wheeled bikes. After riding (and owning) a 95, I don't see the need for a 650b. If I were to want a bike to do 50% park/50% XC/Trail, then I'd go with a 66, but I do more like 90% Trail/XC and 10% park. For the 10% park, I'll rent or borrow a DH/Freeride rig.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    If you look at the Santa Cruz Bronson, it is superior to the Blur LT it replaced.
    The 650b wheels are not the only reason but definitely add to the equation.

I think - hope - ultimately that the SB76c will be superior to the SB66c. .
    +1!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    I've always felt like the 650b movement was driven by the fact that some people didn't like the way 29ers handled but wanted the benefits of the bigger wheels. Then came along the 95 as well as other "new-school 29ers" that handle like smaller-wheeled bikes. After riding (and owning) a 95, I don't see the need for a 650b. If I were to want a bike to do 50% park/50% XC/Trail, then I'd go with a 66, but I do more like 90% Trail/XC and 10% park. For the 10% park, I'll rent or borrow a DH/Freeride rig.
    Agreed to a point. I've got a demo 95 again at the moment just to confirm its what I want before I drop my $$, and it doesn't handle any different than my 26" hard tail..feels different yes, but not much in the handling, still nimble. I think the 650b stuff will improve a lot though, much like the difference between the early 29ers and the new school ones. 29ers like the Spesh Enduro show that you can basically do what you want with them now.

Give the 650 stuff another year or two to get dialed and i think it'll be impressive.

mtbr member
    I've always felt like the 650b movement was driven by the fact that some people didn't like the way 29ers handled but wanted the benefits of the bigger wheels.
    This is how I feel.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    After spending a lot of time on a new 27.5 Trance, I have to think that the 26" wheel is going to be back at some point and time. Every ride on the Trance I wished I was on my 66C. Now the Giant is just gathering dust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was really looking forward to the review of the 75 as I'm very interested in it for this coming season. Just doing the normal reading of the specs I had the Bronson, Tall Boy lt, SB 75 and 95 on the short list with the new 575 as a darkhorse. I'm not sure which wheel size I want. I'm a relative newbie and have only spent time on an old 26 from craigslist.

With that said, this review told me that the SB75 is not as nimble as the 66 and it doesn't roll over things like the 95. So, correct me if i'm wrong, but they just defined the wheel size? How is it against the Bronson? Or a the new Trance? Which would you rather have if you could only have one, the 575 or the SB75? Anything useful would have been nice.

As they said in one of the other reviews, it's all so personal. I'll demo as many as I can and buy the one I like the most. Can't wait for spring!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    HOSS, you have the right idea - demo bikes - whether you're curious about them or not, the more you can demo on dirt the more informed a decision you can make. The hard part about demos is separating the behavior of the bike from the fact that it may not be correctly sized and fit to you. Also, on demos it is worth taking the time when you pick up the bike to make sure the suspension is setup correctly for you - remember that the rider before you may have completely wacked-out the setup.

Are you coming off a hard-tail / rigid-bike or "craigslist FS bike" ? :^) I only ask because your first move to a FS bike will need to be with an open mind and probably unlearning some bad habits (such as sever pedal mashing during climbs - no FS bike will handle that as well as a rigid frame) and some new quirks (such as that with the bike setup properly the bottom-bracket will change height over ground, leading to pedal strikes under certain conditions, again which a rigid frame really doesn't do).

I feel you're also right about the nimble- vs -rolllover tradeoffs, but at a very very gross generalization level. There have been heavy-dog pedalling 26ers and there are surprisingly "nimble on their wheels" 650's and 29ers. It's really how the whole package works together that makes the difference.

Disclaimer: Since moving to NE PA from Austin TX I have converted from my main ride being a 6" travel 26er to a 5" travel 29er and I'm quite happy with it, it's more fun vs abusive on the rocks, roots, and log-overs that I frequent. My 26er was no welterweight bike (7.5# frame with rear shock alone, 33-35# build) so the relatively heavy 29er that I have (32# last time I weighed it, but it's over-due for a check-up) doesn't deter me at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    After spending a lot of time on a new 27.5 Trance, I have to think that the 26" wheel is going to be back at some point and time. Every ride on the Trance I wished I was on my 66C. Now the Giant is just gathering dust.
    I find your opinion very interesting as I'm currently in a horrible dilemma of whether I want to spend $3200 on a new Trance 27.5 1 or drive 3.5 hrs to get a used 2012 SB66 Enduro build with dropper post for hopefully a little less than $2500.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast