Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Tribe Gathering

21K views 116 replies 43 participants last post by  some dude 
#1 ·
The details for the 2014 Tribe Gathering just got released. Anyone going? I'm purchasing a ticket now and can't wait! This will be my first Tribe Gathering after wanting to go for the past two years. Can't wait to shred some Colorado single track! The dates are July 18-20 in Durango at the resort with lift access. Tickets are 145 bucks for the weekend which includes camping, food, lift tickets, and some freebies. Driving from SoCal so if anyone wants to carpool let me know!

Tribe Gathering 2014

#101 ·
Had an amazing weekend! Couldn't ask for a better group of people to ride with and company to ride for! The SB5C sure did look nice and it was great talking with Stretch (the engineer). He was more then happy to answer all our questions and talk shop (That goes for the rest of the Yeti staff also). I'm already looking forward to next year and hoping I can make it! Thanks for everyone that helped out with my flat tire at the end of the ride too. I didn't get a chance to repay you!

Pros:
Beautiful Riding
Awesome People
Great Staff
Bought Yeti gear for great prices (Duffle Bag, Smuggler Hoody, Teller Shorts)
Awesome personalized named Yeti Decals for the bike that they gave to everyone!

Cons:
Didn't ride enough!
Really regret not riding Option A ride.
Spent too much on Yeti gear ha ha.
They ran out of the Large T-Shirts that they were giving to everyone so no shirt for me.

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

#105 ·
Had an amazing weekend! Couldn't ask for a better group of people to ride with and company to ride for! The SB5C sure did look nice and it was great talking with Stretch (the engineer). He was more then happy to answer all our questions and talk shop (That goes for the rest of the Yeti staff also). I'm already looking forward to next year and hoping I can make it!
You're right on target. It was a memorable weekend and so glad I went again. Re the SB5, and after conversation with Stretch, I'm convinced that the design has solid theory and implementation behind it. Was ready to pull the trigger on a 575, but think I'll hold off for a SB5. I don't attempt much over a 3' drop anyway, so 5" should be plenty.

I'm the old guy in the back of the bus photo, so thanks for posting!

#110 ·
I feel like many people forget that good suspension is better than more suspension, Graves does like the 5c quite a lot and after ripping a week in France on rough tracks I would imagine it gives him the trail feel he wants and the traction he needs. This is much different than what many of everyday riders want or need. Remember that Graves and many other Pro riders are much faster on a lesser travel bikes for most courses. You also need to take into account Enduro riders need for a bike to transition efficiently and to put down sprinting power all over the course, not something you normally do on a trail ride.

#5 ·
The rides are tough for sure, but if you get yourself into shape and don't try to hang with some of my insane coworkers at the front of the pack, you should be fine. We also offer several easier for all abilities.

Sidebar: three years ago, some maniac from Japan came over for the Breck Tribe and did one of the craziest things I've ever seen on a bike. It was the hardest ride I've done - Kenosha pass up over Georgia Pass and back to Breck. Anyway, the morning of the ride, this Japanese dude shows up at the shuttle wearing jean shorts and riding a DJ with about 2 feet of seat post exposed, and myself and the rest of the staff start putting odds on whether we're going to need to med-evac him out of the ride somewhere.

I lost track of the dude after the group photo at the start of the ride, but my GF said that back at the campground, as the first few riders came in looking like death warmed over, here was that Japanese guy near the front of the pack riding a one-handed wheelie, looking fresh as a daisy, and grinning ear to ear. The dude crushed it, and he's become a legend around our office. We still don't know his name or his back-story though. Hahaha.

JP

#81 ·
I know this is late, but I am going to the Tribe Gathering. I live up in Rio Rancho. I am going solo. I will probably work from home for a few hours and leave around noon on Friday.

#13 ·
Do yourself a favor and make this trip

If you have never been, this is the one to go to. Durango is some of the best riding that the state has to offer I think you can still do a lap of the 1st MTB World Championships at DMR.

The CO Trail sections are awesome, they might even be throwing down some of the same courses that will be used in BME Durango. If you have an extra day, drive the 45 minutes west to Cortez and ride at Phils World.

Everybody at Yeti is committed to having fun and this won't be any different. Food, beer, prizes, beer, riding, beer, riding, laughs, a giant muffler of spirits. What could go wrong?

#14 ·
If you have never been, this is the one to go to. Durango is some of the best riding that the state has to offer I think you can still do a lap of the 1st MTB World Championships at DMR.

The CO Trail sections are awesome, they might even be throwing down some of the same courses that will be used in BME Durango. If you have an extra day, drive the 45 minutes west to Cortez and ride at Phils World.

Everybody at Yeti is committed to having fun and this won't be any different. Food, beer, prizes, beer, riding, beer, riding, laughs, a giant muffler of spirits. What could go wrong?
Glad to hear it! This will be my first time biking in Colorado so I'll be praying for clear sunny skies ha ha

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'll be coming from SW Missouri and it'll be my first tribe! Super stoked but a little nervous about my 1X10. Anyone have experience with Durango? Running a 30 x 11-36. To give you an idea, local trails are mostly sprints up the trail and down. very few long climes or descents. Either way, gonna be a great weekend!!

#17 ·
Hey Jason,

From one flatlander to another...No worries. I'm running the same set-up on my 66. I was at the last Durango Tribe Gathering and the trails are most definitely hilly. There has to be some hills around you that you can just work over and over? The altitude will get you before the climbs. You will have an epic time and will be planning your next Tribe before you know it. I'll see you there. My buddies and I are the only guys from Iowa that go every year.

#18 ·
From one flatlander to another...No worries. I'm running the same set-up on my 66. I was at the last Durango Tribe Gathering and the trails are most definitely hilly. There has to be some hills around you that you can just work over and over? The altitude will get you before the climbs. You will have an epic time and will be planning your next Tribe before you know it. I'll see you there. My buddies and I are the only guys from Iowa that go every year.
Thanks for the encouraging words man. I'll probably be one of the few from Missouri but I can't wait. My fiancé and I have a trip to Boulder for our honeymoon a couple of months prior, so that should give me and idea about what to expect elevation-wise. Definitely looking forward to excessively long descents tho!

#20 ·
Finally was able to purchase my ticket this morning for my first Tribe event, we have several folks from the ATL area heading that way, only some of us talk funny though! The biggest dilemma is whether to head out for the full week and ride some dual sport motorcycle or more Yeti!

#22 ·
I don't have confirmation yet, but we always have fresh water available, and there's usually either proper showers or a nice creek nearby. BBQ pits depend on weather, but you shouldn't need them anyway - there's a TON of food being catered in.

Regarding weather in Durango, this link is useful:
LINK

JP

#25 ·
Hate to be "that guy" but would that wonderful newly legal substance in Colorado have any place at the tribe? I would be traveling from IL and not sure what the attitudes are out there yet, I of course want to show the utmost respect to the tribe. Thanks!

I am getting my final pennies saved for an x01 Arc Carbon and once I do I plan on grabbing a ticket!

#27 ·
Hate to be "that guy" but would that wonderful newly legal substance in Colorado have any place at the tribe? I would be traveling from IL and not sure what the attitudes are out there yet, I of course want to show the utmost respect to the tribe. Thanks!
It's a family event. We hope everyone comes and has a great time, but we also encourage everyone to be respectful of one another. General rule of thumb: if you think something you're doing might be offensive to other people, it probably is. Exercise a little discretion and do your thing in a private place.

Cheers,
JP

#31 ·
I have a Yeti, but my wife doesn't have one, is she not allowed to come?
I had the same concern for last year's Tribe in Telluride. I was told that she could sign up to use a demo bike. However, demos are offered to people based on a lottery, particularly in the event that there are more requests for demos then bikes available.

Anyway, just in case my wifey didnt get a demo, I ended up buying her a used Yeti bike she liked (ASR5c) prior to the Tribe. But afterall she was offered two demos - a small and medium SB95. She tried the 29er, then traded somebody for a SB66c and liked it better!!

Guess what I'm saying is chance it to get her a demo bike.

#32 ·
Naturally Aspirated,

If you don't want to chance a lottery I don't mind bringing my wife's medium ASR5a for you guys to use? She can't make it to tribe but her bike doesn't have to sit inside collecting dust. It's an 2010/11, but it's got full 2013 xt 2x10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.