Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Tribe Gathering

21K views 116 replies 43 participants last post by  some dude 
#1 ·
The details for the 2014 Tribe Gathering just got released. Anyone going? I'm purchasing a ticket now and can't wait! This will be my first Tribe Gathering after wanting to go for the past two years. Can't wait to shred some Colorado single track! The dates are July 18-20 in Durango at the resort with lift access. Tickets are 145 bucks for the weekend which includes camping, food, lift tickets, and some freebies. Driving from SoCal so if anyone wants to carpool let me know!

Tribe Gathering 2014

#89 ·
Option A: Colorado Trail, Molas Pass to Cascade Creek Trail

This ride is for advanced riders with excellent fitness. Expect to be on the trail for at least 6 hours and riding between 11,000’ and 12,000 for most of the ride, with substantial climbing and hike a’ bike sections over approximately 30 miles and 4,000 feet of climbing. Advanced technical skills are necessary. This route combines high-alpine riding with one of the most rocking singletrack descents you will find anywhere. The last section of the trail drops about 2,500’ vertical in under five miles -- that’s a downhill! Shuttle pick-up is at Durango Mountain Resort between 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m. on Saturday and between 8 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. on Sunday. The shuttled ride is approximately 30 minutes to the top of Molas Pass where you will begin on the Colorado Trail.

You will ride back to DMR on HWY 550 after end of ride. This is known as one of the most scenic trails in all of Colorado, so bring your camera and be ready to have your socks knocked off!

Option B: Hermosa Creek Trail

This ride is for strong intermediate riders with good fitness. The ride begins from Durango Mountain Resort with approximately 7 miles on FS Road 578, Hermosa Park Road, to the Upper Hermosa Creek Trailhead, and then approximately 20 miles of trail to the Lower Hermosa Creek Trailhead. This point-to-point route is NOT all down-hill. There are several small climbs and then a significant climb with about four miles to go that is relatively steep and lasts about one mile towards the end of the ride. Expect to be on trail for at least 4 hours. Shuttle pick-up is at the lower Hermosa Creek TH between 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. and is approximately 30 minutes back to Durango Mountain Resort.

#95 ·
Has anyone done option A (Molas Pass) before? I'm coming from CA and not use to 10k-12k ft elevation.
Molas to cascade is absolutely epic scenery. A whole lot of above treeline, 360 degree views of alpine terrain. The downhill is a ton of fun. It's one of those must-do kind of trails. It does have some billy goat like climbs in it but I think it was worth it.

#96 ·
Yup, I agree shorter on option A. I'm also going for B on Sat then lifts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am doing the same. It is tempting to do option A and kill myself, but I want to actually enjoy myself a bit more and hang out with some of the other Tribe. Man, I must be getting old.

#101 ·
Had an amazing weekend! Couldn't ask for a better group of people to ride with and company to ride for! The SB5C sure did look nice and it was great talking with Stretch (the engineer). He was more then happy to answer all our questions and talk shop (That goes for the rest of the Yeti staff also). I'm already looking forward to next year and hoping I can make it! Thanks for everyone that helped out with my flat tire at the end of the ride too. I didn't get a chance to repay you!

Pros:
Beautiful Riding
Awesome People
Great Staff
Bought Yeti gear for great prices (Duffle Bag, Smuggler Hoody, Teller Shorts)
Awesome personalized named Yeti Decals for the bike that they gave to everyone!

Cons:
Didn't ride enough!
Really regret not riding Option A ride.
Spent too much on Yeti gear ha ha.
They ran out of the Large T-Shirts that they were giving to everyone so no shirt for me.

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

#105 ·
Had an amazing weekend! Couldn't ask for a better group of people to ride with and company to ride for! The SB5C sure did look nice and it was great talking with Stretch (the engineer). He was more then happy to answer all our questions and talk shop (That goes for the rest of the Yeti staff also). I'm already looking forward to next year and hoping I can make it!
You're right on target. It was a memorable weekend and so glad I went again. Re the SB5, and after conversation with Stretch, I'm convinced that the design has solid theory and implementation behind it. Was ready to pull the trigger on a 575, but think I'll hold off for a SB5. I don't attempt much over a 3' drop anyway, so 5" should be plenty.

I'm the old guy in the back of the bus photo, so thanks for posting!

#103 ·
I'm pretty sure the SB5c is not a SB66 replacement.

It's stated pretty clear that it's a trail bike. I'm 100% sure we will see more models with the new switch infinity in the coming future.

Edit: That's not to say the SB5c is a "bad" bike. The thing looks like it can still rip even with "only" 5" of travel.

#104 ·
Chris Conroy stated at the Gathering, something to the effect of, "I know you guys want this to be a 6" bike, but it rides like it's got 6"."

He also said that Jared Graves has been fastest on his SB66, but that he's faster on the SB5c during testing. Based on that, I would not be surprised to see him racing on it, which should really be an interesting dilemma for the folks that don't think 5" is enough travel for them.

#109 ·
Chris Conroy stated at the Gathering, something to the effect of, "I know you guys want this to be a 6" bike, but it rides like it's got 6"."

He also said that Jared Graves has been fastest on his SB66, but that he's faster on the SB5c during testing. Based on that, I would not be surprised to see him racing on it, which should really be an interesting dilemma for the folks that don't think 5" is enough travel for them.
Well guess that means be patient and wait to see what the next few months bring...

#107 ·
That doesn't really say very much though, after all it depends on the track he was riding. I'm sure there are a lot of tracks where Graves would be faster on a SB5c, but the question is would he be faster in an EWS event? I doubt it, after all the bike is being marketed as a trail bike, not an all mountain bike.

I reckon now the new suspension design is out in the open, we'll see Graves riding a prototype SB6C at the next event.

#110 ·
I feel like many people forget that good suspension is better than more suspension, Graves does like the 5c quite a lot and after ripping a week in France on rough tracks I would imagine it gives him the trail feel he wants and the traction he needs. This is much different than what many of everyday riders want or need. Remember that Graves and many other Pro riders are much faster on a lesser travel bikes for most courses. You also need to take into account Enduro riders need for a bike to transition efficiently and to put down sprinting power all over the course, not something you normally do on a trail ride.

#111 ·
Glad to hear you guys had fun at Tribe. The Option A ride was beautiful and brutal, and I had a really great time hanging with so many cool people during the ride and festivities.

Hope to see you all again next year...

JP

#114 ·
I'm a bit bummed I couldn't make it to Tribe this year!

I'm curious to see the official 2014 Tribe Tee shirt! Anybody have a pic(s) of it?
Sure was! But I wouldn't know they ran out of my size somehow?? They were pretty basic but looked nice. If I remember correctly they sort of looked like this decal they gave us on a brown shirt.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.