mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2014 575 vs. Bronson vs. Mach 6

Am strongly considering selling my Tallboy LT and moving to an all mountain 27.5, have more or less narrowed it down to the 2014 575, the Bronson or the Pivot Mach 6. I know the 575 just was announced but I wanted to see if anyone has seen/demoed one yet and how it might compare to the two bikes above.

For the money the XT kit is pretty much perfect sans dropper post (not sure about wheels), and would save me about $2k vs. Mach 6 or Bronson C. 575 is obviously a legendary design and should be great as a dedicated 27.5 but doubtful I will get a chance to demo so am likely going to have to buy blind.

FWIW I'm 6'4", weigh 225lbs and am looking for a bike that is versatile but is ultimately more fun on descents and in the air. My TBLT is a monster truck but just isn't a flickable and is a handful in the air. Lastly, it's not a deal breaker but do strongly prefer having a water bottle cage so am leaning 575/Bronson.

I realize I'm on the Yeti board so I know I may not get the most unbiased answers, but what insight can you give me on the 575 and how it might compare to the other two?

Thanks!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sb66.

mtbr member
    I think a more fair comparison would be the SB75 to the others you mentioned, or the 575 to the Heckler or some other single pivot design.

Right now the 575 is kind of in a budget position in the lineup. Classic design, just not so much what the kids are into these days. Like you said, it's $2k cheaper than the others in your list.

mtbr member
    Not sure if you'll get the answer you're looking for here. The 575-27.5 was just recently released and not many people have had the opportunity to demo/buy one. Perhaps your best bet is to call around to some Yeti dealers who have one in stock and may also carry SC and/or Pivot.

FWIW - I own a '11 575 and love the bike but particularly b/c it fits me very well (I'm 5'10'' riding a medium) and suits the majority of my riding style (Very technical trails and moderate DH). I've ridden the Bronson C and it was quite nice. Efficient peddling, similar geo as my 575 and rolled over stuff a bit better as I would expect with having bigger wheels.

Given that you're a tall guy, I think the bigger wheels will be of a significant benefit to you. Good luck with your search for the optimal bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I think a more fair comparison would be the SB75 to the others you mentioned, or the 575 to the Heckler or some other single pivot design.
    What he said. The 575's suspension is going to lend itself well to a plush ride that is really enjoyable in the descents and will be adequate in the climbing/xc riding. I think a more apples to apples comparison would be to compare the SB75 to the others.

In the end, try to get a demo of any of the bikes you're going to ride.
    That creep can roll, man.

EDR
    The old 575 is a great bike. Been riding them for a long time now. However, if I were north of 225lbs and got air regularly on top of that, I might seriously consider a stiffer design.

That being said with gear and water I've beat the shiite out of my 575's for years at 200lbs. Lot's of techy riding, lots of drops to flat (under 3ft, sans that one time at the "worlds largest 4 footer to flat in Moab, haha) and plenty of ledgy riding. All in all I have no complaints other than I wish the rear of the bike tracked in the hack a little better, but this is something I only really noticed after riding a heavier/stiffer bike for a short time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

Right now the 575 is kind of in a budget position in the lineup. Classic design, just not so much what the kids are into these days. Like you said, it's $2k cheaper than the others in your list.
    To be clear I should have said Bronson/Heckler. I'm more or less agnostic to suspension design, far more important to me is how the bike feels. While the 575/Heckler may not be the latest design, they are also time tested and low maintenance so in my mind there is almost no difference. I also don't particularly care between carbon and aluminum. Obviously carbon is sweet/light but its also really expensive. My goal is to get the best bike for me for the best possible price. For example, if I go Bronson I'd say its less than 50/50 I'd go for the carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    What he said. The 575's suspension is going to lend itself well to a plush ride that is really enjoyable in the descents and will be adequate in the climbing/xc riding. I think a more apples to apples comparison would be to compare the SB75 to the others.

In the end, try to get a demo of any of the bikes you're going to ride.
    Would love to but unlikely. There is an SC demo coming to town so I'll get to try out those but otherwise I'm SOL. The key will be whether I really prefer 27.5 to 29 and the SC demo should provide that answer.

Also, heard from Competitive Cyclist that they don't expect to receive any 2014 575's until February...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Am strongly considering selling my Tallboy LT and moving to an all mountain 27.5, have more or less narrowed it down to the 2014 575, the Bronson or the Pivot Mach 6. I know the 575 just was announced but I wanted to see if anyone has seen/demoed one yet and how it might compare to the two bikes above.

For the money the XT kit is pretty much perfect sans dropper post (not sure about wheels), and would save me about $2k vs. Mach 6 or Bronson C. 575 is obviously a legendary design and should be great as a dedicated 27.5 but doubtful I will get a chance to demo so am likely going to have to buy blind.

FWIW I'm 6'4", weigh 225lbs and am looking for a bike that is versatile but is ultimately more fun on descents and in the air. My TBLT is a monster truck but just isn't a flickable and is a handful in the air. Lastly, it's not a deal breaker but do strongly prefer having a water bottle cage so am leaning 575/Bronson.

I realize I'm on the Yeti board so I know I may not get the most unbiased answers, but what insight can you give me on the 575 and how it might compare to the other two?

Thanks!

Greg

What wheels are you running? I transitioned from Flow EX to carbon and air time is much improved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Birdymkr View Post
    What wheels are you running? I transitioned from Flow EX to carbon and air time is much improved.
    I'm running the stock RAM package wheels (i23). While I get the benefits of 29ers I'm happy to trade rollover and stability for flick ability and fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I also don't particularly care between carbon and aluminum. Obviously carbon is sweet/light but its also really expensive. My goal is to get the best bike for me for the best possible price. For example, if I go Bronson I'd say its less than 50/50 I'd go for the carbon.
    Wouldn't the Mach6 be in the same price range as a Carbon Bronson anyway? Would have thought that if you prefer downhill performance over uphill, the Mach6 would be best, whereas the Bronson would be the best all rounder?
    When you say the best bike for the best price, there are plenty of other brands out there with great bikes (A comlete Norco Sight retail for little more than the price of one of the above frames)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kavika View Post
    Wouldn't the Mach6 be in the same price range as a Carbon Bronson anyway? Would have thought that if you prefer downhill performance over uphill, the Mach6 would be best, whereas the Bronson would be the best all rounder?
    When you say the best bike for the best price, there are plenty of other brands out there with great bikes (A comlete Norco Sight retail for little more than the price of one of the above frames)
    I am open to other brands but am comfortable with Santa Cruz because I have owned two and Yeti and Pivot because they have great reputations and loyal followings. That said, I talked at length with a guy about a Scott genius yesterday and am going to look into those a bit. There are just sooooo many options out there, if I could ride them all it would be great but not realistic so if I buy anything other than SC (which has a demo here in about 3 weeks) it will be a leap of faith.

If Pivot made an aluminum Mach 6 I'd take a hard look at it over the carbon (unless price difference was minimal) but unfortunately they don't. It's 5.5k or so for an XT build. SC obviously has both, carbon Bronson with SPX kit runs 5.8k, aluminum 5.1k. More I think about it, if the Bronson is the one, for $700 I'd probably go carbon. That said, the 575 is 4.6k and on paper seems to be an ideal fit for what I'm looking for (single pivot design notwithstanding) so if I had to decide today I'm actually leaning 575.

Frankly, as I dig into learning about Yeti's I'm a little surprised there isn't more palpable love for the 575. Seems like its a great, time-tested design that should only be enhanced by moving to 27.5. What am I missing?

P.S. In terms of 575 vs. SB75 its a non-starter because from what I can tell, the SB75 doesn't come in an XL and even if it did, I want more travel.

EDR

Re: 2014 575 vs. Bronson vs. Mach 6

P.S. In terms of 575 vs. SB75 its a non-starter because from what I can tell, the SB75 doesn't come in an XL and even if it did, I want more travel.
    The new 575 only has 10 millimeters more travel in the SB 75. I don't think it really makes a difference. The difference will come in the ride. The 575 being quite plush , the SB bikes not so much. Not in a bad way just different.

There's lots of love out there for 575. I've owned three of them and loved every one of them. So much so that I couldn't tear myself away last year to a different brand. Even though I was highly interested in Knolly and Pivot, I came back to yet another 575. Folks in Phoenix have been bashing the 575 around on the harshest terrain we have for many years. It's a fantastic bike and requires little to no maintenance. When I hear about the constant creaking and the problems with the SB bearings, and the problems with the stop bolts... And the problems with the tire hitting the back of the seat stay, I cringe at the thought of moving to a more complicated frame. I love not ever having to work on my suspension. I love the plush feel and the way at tackles technical uphill terrain. I love being able to flip the pro pedal switch on lower the fork to about 130 ish and be able to comfortably cruise Xc trails all day. I love being able to let the fork out to 160 turn off the propedal and bomb the downhills while seeking out each and every kicker and ledge drop I can find.

A couple of notes for you to consider. The 575 does make good use of propedal Without pro pedal the bike would tend to move around too much. If you're one of those guys who hates to flick a switch then you're not going to like that.

Also I think the bike is better suited for seated climbing. Yes you can get out of your saddle and stomp over the technical terrain to move the bike around. But if you're a masher, a guy who likes to stand and get heavy on the pedals a lot...well that isn't the 575 best attribute. Its not that it can't be done, its just that there are better bikes out there for that type of of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    The new 575 only has 10 millimeters more travel in the SB 75. I don't think it really makes a difference. The difference will come in the ride. The 575 being quite plush , the SB bikes not so much. Not in a bad way just different.

There's lots of love out there for 575. I've owned three of them and loved every one of them. So much so that I couldn't tear myself away last year to a different brand. Even though I was highly interested in Knolly and Pivot, I came back to yet another 575. Folks in Phoenix have been bashing the 575 around on the harshest terrain we have for many years. It's a fantastic bike and requires little to no maintenance. When I hear about the constant creaking and the problems with the SB bearings, and the problems with the stop bolts... And the problems with the tire hitting the back of the seat stay, I cringe at the thought of moving to a more complicated frame. I love not ever having to work on my suspension. I love the plush feel and the way at tackles technical uphill terrain. I love being able to flip the pro pedal switch on lower the fork to about 130 ish and be able to comfortably cruise Xc trails all day. I love being able to let the fork out to 160 turn off the propedal and bomb the downhills while seeking out each and every kicker and ledge drop I can find.

A couple of notes for you to consider. The 575 does make good use of propedal Without pro pedal the bike would tend to move around too much. If you're one of those guys who hates to flick a switch then you're not going to like that.

Also I think the bike is better suited for seated climbing. Yes you can get out of your saddle and stomp over the technical terrain to move the bike around. But if you're a masher, a guy who likes to stand and get heavy on the pedals a lot...well that isn't the 575 best attribute. Its not that it can't be done, its just that there are better bikes out there for that type of of riding.
    You described my desires to a T, want something that is a blast downhill, competent up (and no problem with flipping a switch), coming off a 29er I'm more used to sit/and/spin than stomping it anyway. I am looking forward to better acceleration but mostly to faster, more natural handling. I like my TBLT and think it is an excellent XC to Trail bike but very tight, technical stuff and drops/jumps are still less intuitive than I would like. I'm sure it would be faster on many of the trails that I ride but not necessarily as fun and I'm looking to maximize the fun.

Thanks for feedback, much appreciated.

P.S. According to Yeti site the SB75 has 127mm of rear travel, 140 front. 575 has 146mm rear and 150 front so 10mm different in front but almost 20mm different out back. Additionally I'm definitely looking more for a plush feel than a stiff one so think 575 would be a good fit.

mtbr member
    Marin Mount Vision Carbon Pro? 140 mm travel, dropper post, xx1, carbon wheels 25lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Earlier this week I was in the same boat, in fact I was running along the same thoughts as you, as to what I wanted, and why. Plenty of brands to choose from, and was looking similar bikes, although the Mach 6 was a little out of my price range.

Very nearly bought a Nomad C or Bronson C, but ended up with the alloy 66 yesterday. Had there been a carbon 66 in stock I would have purchased that (or a 75 if it had more travel).

From reports I've heard from people who have gone from alloy to carbon in the same bike, I'm told it's well worth the money, if you can stretch the budget. I paid extra for the Yeti brand purely for reputation, and the customer service from the shop when I was initially making enquiries.

First ride on the 66 today, so I hope it was the right choice!

EDR

P.S. According to Yeti site the SB75 has 127mm of rear travel, 140 front. 575 has 146mm rear and 150 front so 10mm different in front but almost 20mm different out back. Additionally I'm definitely looking more for a plush feel than a stiff one so think 575 would be a good fit.
    The old 575s were 146 millimeters of travel. I thought the new one was 140 millimeters. & I thought the 75 was 130 millimeters therefore essentially comparing a 5 inch bike to a five and a half inch bike . At any rate a few millimeters here there doesn't make a whole lot of difference but it does sound like a 575 would be a far better fit for you. Good luck!

One more thing to think about. The 575 does not take a coil shock and many riders over 180 pounds or so have found that the Fox float shocks wallow in their travel too much on this bike. I've had mine pushed, and so have quite a few other people. Of course all my reference is to the old 575.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I rode my 09 575 for over a year a loved it. I went thru first build at 140mm talas with dhx5.0 to end up with full xtr 160mm float fork and push'd rp23...

What difference the final build was...more so in confidence and downhill performance.

In bought a sb66c last month and love it ! Climbs better than my 575, yes suspension is stiffer but in a good way, fun downhill. I'm happy but due miss sometimes the simplicity of the 575.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

One more thing to think about. The 575 does not take a coil shock and many riders over 180 pounds or so have found that the Fox float shocks wallow in their travel too much on this bike. I've had mine pushed, and so have quite a few other people. Of course all my reference is to the old 575.
    Thanks, hadn't heard that. I know Yeti has a "max weight" but seems like most have been ok even of they are a little over but hadn't heard about performance suffering. Do you think the 2014 fox shock will be any better?

EDR

. Do you think the 2014 fox shock will be any better?
    I have no idea but if they stay the course then I'd say no. There are better air shocks out there, user-adjustable even. But if you're buying a frame it will likely come with a fox. In that case I wouldn't worry about it, just ride it and form your own opinion.

My 2012 frame came with a RP 23 with Kashima coating. I gave it about a week maybe two of riding before I sold it and replaced it with my old-azz PUSHed 2008 RP 23. The push is just that much better than anything Fox puts out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

I have no idea but if they stay the course then I'd say no. There are better air shocks out there, user-adjustable even. But if you're buying a frame it will likely come with a fox. In that case I wouldn't worry about it, just ride it and form your own opinion.

My 2012 frame came with a RP 23 with Kashima coating. I gave it about a week maybe two of riding before I sold it and replaced it with my old-azz PUSHed 2008 RP 23. The push is just that much better than anything Fox puts out there.
    Was planning on buying complete as the race spec is virtually perfect for what I want. Assume I can always send the Fox CTD Adjust K to Push myself.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I own a 575 ('11 frame) and LOVE it... I ride the p!ss out of it and it's a rock solid reliable bike. I run a Fox Float 36 RC2 160 (2013) up front and a custom tuned (for my weight and bike geo) 2014 Float CTD trail adjust. That custom tuned CTD BLOWS away the RP23 I had on it prior. I use all the settings too depending where I'm riding and there is definitely noticeable change in (and very well matched) behavior between all the settings. From trail riding to some light downhill and everything in between.

While it might be "old" tech, it's proven and reliable. How many posts have we seen on worn out or loose pivots on the SB's. They'll get sorted I'm sure, but the 575 has years of tweaks and development. If I were going 27.5, I'd go 575 Waaaaay before the SB75. I disagree with the above that 10mm (140 vs 130 on the SB) doesn't make a difference. It does when you're riding tech terrain where you want and can use all your suspension travel. Slap a 150 fork on the 575, or even a 160 if you're into some gravity and bob's your uncle. It will eat up terrain and beg for more, and have you giggling like school boy the whole time.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

LCW
    mtbr member
    I'm 185 (without gear) and running a 2014 Fox CTD in back, and I can say without a doubt that the above does not apply in this case. Super controlled, no wallowing. Can blast through chunk, rail berms, and huck over doubles, without any issues or complaints with the rear shock. The old RP23's sucked and that's probably where those comments are coming from, but with the latest CTD rear shock, the ride is smooth and controlled, not to mention plush and terrain swallowing.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    I agree, the CTD kills the old RP crap. Running the Float-X & loving it.

As for 27.5 bikes the Banshee Rune is tops. BUT I must have carbon to match my bars, cranks & new Derby wheels so for me its probably going to be the 2014 Norco Range carbon. The 7.2 can be had for $3400! YES, carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    I own a 575 ('11 frame) and LOVE it... I ride the p!ss out of it and it's a rock solid reliable bike. I run a Fox Float 36 RC2 160 (2013) up front and a custom tuned (for my weight and bike geo) 2014 Float CTD trail adjust. That custom tuned CTD BLOWS away the RP23 I had on it prior. I use all the settings too depending where I'm riding and there is definitely noticeable change in (and very well matched) behavior between all the settings. From trail riding to some light downhill and everything in between.

While it might be "old" tech, it's proven and reliable. How many posts have we seen on worn out or loose pivots on the SB's. They'll get sorted I'm sure, but the 575 has years of tweaks and development. If I were going 27.5, I'd go 575 Waaaaay before the SB75. I disagree with the above that 10mm (140 vs 130 on the SB) doesn't make a difference. It does when you're riding tech terrain where you want and can use all your suspension travel. Slap a 150 fork on the 575, or even a 160 if you're into some gravity and bob's your uncle. It will eat up terrain and beg for more, and have you giggling like school boy the whole time.
    Thanks for the feedback, really does sound like exactly what I want, pretty fired up actually. I called my LBS and apparently Yeti is focused on getting the SB75's out so the 575's aren't scheduled to ship until late January so that's kind of a bummer but not necessarily a deal breaker. Also I assume if Yeti is like other builders that really means late February or early March...

Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I agree, the CTD kills the old RP crap. Running the Float-X & loving it.

As for 27.5 bikes the Banshee Rune is tops. BUT I must have carbon to match my bars, cranks & new Derby wheels so for me its probably going to be the 2014 Norco Range carbon. The 7.2 can be had for $3400! YES, carbon frame.
    Will do some research on those two, have heard the Norco's are hard to get, do you know if that's true?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

There is a 2014 575 FAQ on the Yeti site, specifically addresses the coil shock question (and the fact you can't use one). They recommend the Fox DHX Air, even indicate it is an "option". Would this be a safe bet for a guy my size (225 lbs) or would I be better off just sending the stock CTD to Push if I find it isn't working well for me?