Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=smellurfingers;9714315]I think they may have missed the mark with the SB95. In a couple of years no one is going to want a 29 inch FS trail bike.QUOTE]

Obviously you haven't spent much time on one. I've ridden mine since April on everything from freeride trails (BlackRock, OR) to backcountry epics in the Cascades (Oakridge, OR) to classics in Moab. There are more nimble bikes in the air, but this thing maintains traction perfectly, gets you to the end of a ride much less fatigued than a 26er (or 650B), and saves you a lot of energy by preserving your momentum on a long ride. And in the wet season, the big wheels clear washed out ruts and slick nests of redwood roots MUCH better than their smaller counterparts.

I came off an Ibis Mojo that was nearly 5 lbs lighter, and I prefer this thing hands down. As an added bonus, I don't have the akwardness of going back and forth between two wheels sizes for my singlespeed, cyclocross, and full-squish bikes anymore, which makes you a better handler.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    650b!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So has it been confirmed that the ASR5 is being discontinued? It's a contender for my new bike next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fathomer View Post
    So has it been confirmed that the ASR5 is being discontinued? It's a contender for my new bike next year.
    The alloy version is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    The alloy version is.

Toying with the idea of grabbing one of these before they are gone. Would be a sweet compliment to my Asr 7 and the price is right fir a nice winter build project,,, But I am torn as I am curious what Yeti is going to have new in Jan.
    Decisions....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    your skill is more limiting then wheel size, travel, and LBS. The best performance mod you can do to a bike is drop your seat on a decent and ride dynamic, man up and just enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    how do you figure? If i was a yeti dealer i would pissed. They have huge holes in their lineup. Let me count the ways.

1. No carbon 29er hardtail.
    2. No 4" travel 29" race bike. The 26" 4" race bike is dead. To me this is a big deal. This is what yeti builds there brand on.
    3. An asr5 that is great bike but no one wants any more.
    4. An sb 66 that also kicks ass, but they are getting sued by two fronts for the suspension design.
    5. No carbon sb95.
    6. No 7" travel bike for fr. A modified sb-66 doesn't count.
    7. A prototype 303 wc carbon that would be amazing if they would release it to the public.
    8. A 575 model that dealerships can't sell becuase no one wants it.
    9. No 650b model. I didn't see this surge either but they need to convert the 575 model to a 650b asap.
    10. No crossbike that is the largest growing segment of bicycle racing.

Erik
    this +1

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by t6barry View Post
    Everyone on this forum needs to get serious. Your buying into a company that chooses to put MARKETING over product. Most of you on this forum go through bikes like a woman with shoes.. They choose to lay off good USA Americans and out source! Is Yeti Turquoise a "cool" color, no doubt. But this company thinks they are the second coming of Christ... They push paper and send it to Asia to do the hard work. "we go for lunch time rides!" sweet and we bust are ass to get your customer service that sucks. Yeti over sells a piece of aluminum that Americans should (and they will give you the BS excuse that all the components are made overseas so what they are doing is just industry standards) be making. Yeti Markets their ability to drink beer in their office.. Thats sweet.. Good stuff guys.. I'm going Intense. AMERICAN WELDED.... Nough said... If your a good rider your a good rider. It doesn't matter what bike you ride. If the bike is too heavy, loose some weight...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    I came off an Ibis Mojo that was nearly 5 lbs lighter, and I prefer this thing hands down. As an added bonus, I don't have the akwardness of going back and forth between two wheels sizes for my singlespeed, cyclocross, and full-squish bikes anymore, which makes you a better handler.
    I would think that a good 2.35" 650b tire will be closer in diameter to your cyclocross bike.

And you would not have to compromise on suspension travel, while nearly half the difference in wheel diameter is covered. No replacement for suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was holding out for a 2013 Yeti, (hoping for a SB-76 C) but it's frustrating not knowing when they will release even an overview of next year's line. Gave up on Yeti and bought an SC yesterday. They have stronger carbon, anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nny462 View Post
    They have stronger carbon, anyways.
    Link???

mtbr member
    Really? Is this set in Stone ?
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Come on, you believe everything you read on the internet?
    SC makes quality product but to get into a pissing contest over who's carbon is stronger, is futile.
    Anyone can say anything.
    Without unbiased proof, its just BS....
    Personally I ride Aluminum, and again its my personal preference.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can't post links yet (new account restrictions) but the pinkbike test video (just google santa cruz pinkbike) is pretty definitive when it comes to demonstrating SC's carbon capabilities. In terms of their carbon being "stronger", I was referring to the one piece layup process they use, which strengthens the joints. From what I've read, that's a proprietary thing. Also, they control carbon thickness from the inside as well through a process that they are tight-lipped about, putting thicker support where needed and keeping other areas thinner to maintain weight reduction where appropriate. I suppose marketing hype is just that, but it was enough to make me comfortable enough to buy.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Interesting assertion, as most CF bikes are made by Giant's OEM branch. Possibly different material, and a bit of proprietary methodology, but almost assuredly out of the same factory.

You would be probably be just as annoyed if Yeti announced a new model for delivery in January, and then had the launch date slip several times over a couple months due to issues at the plant. Just sayin'.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    I was holding out for a 2013 Yeti, (hoping for a SB-76 C) but it's frustrating not knowing when they will release even an overview of next year's line. Gave up on Yeti and bought an SC yesterday. They have stronger carbon, anyways.
    I had the same .... I can't wait for SB76 ... so I sold my Intense uzzi and bought .... SB66 :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Interesting assertion, as most CF bikes are made by Giant's OEM branch. Possibly different material, and a bit of proprietary methodology, but almost assuredly out of the same factory.
    Just wanted to step in and say that this is not the case any more. There are many companies in China that are making carbon fiber frames such as ADK Technology, Ideal Bike Corporation, Advanced International Multitech Co Ltd, and Merida. A lot has changed since 2005 or so as Giant isn't the only high quality carbon maker anymore.

Maybe someone can tell me, who is the OEM for Yeti carbon bikes?
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I would think that a good 2.35" 650b tire will be closer in diameter to your cyclocross bike.

And you would not have to compromise on suspension travel, while nearly half the difference in wheel diameter is covered. No replacement for suspension.
    5 inches (127 mm) of travel on a very rigid frame is plenty of travel--the larger wheel allows me to roll stuff without the need for an extra inch anyhow. If I lived somewhere with especially manicured trails and a lot of air, I'd probably agree with you, but the extra wheel size is key for riding some of the less maintained/more erroded stuff in the Pac NW.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    5 inches (127 mm) of travel on a very rigid frame is plenty of travel--the larger wheel allows me to roll stuff without the need for an extra inch anyhow. If I lived somewhere with especially manicured trails and a lot of air, I'd probably agree with you, but the extra wheel size is key for riding some of the less maintained/more erroded stuff in the Pac NW.
    I can't agree that wheel size is the key to riding anywhere. And there is no replacement for suspension - and local trail are far from manicured. And 29" wheels are 40% less stiff for 10% more weigh.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^^^
    What he said! :-)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post

Maybe someone can tell me, who is the OEM for Yeti carbon bikes?

Schipperkes are cool.
    650b ASR.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I can't agree that wheel size is the key to riding anywhere. And there is no replacement for suspension - and local trail are far from manicured. And 29" wheels are 40% less stiff for 10% more weigh.
    oh come on, didn't you get the MTBR memo:
    wherever someone rides is the harshest, most extreme trails on earth, so whatever bike you ride might be ok for the tame trails you ride on, but only [29er, 650b, 26 with exactly 162.194mm of travel, 9 speed, 8 speed... blah blah blah] works for the gnar there.

the fact that people rode those trails before 29ers or suspension or disc brakes or whatever else someone is claiming is the necessary (not most fun for them, but absolutely needed to ride his trails) is never, ever under any circumstances mentioned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
    That's kind of reassuring to know.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    oh come on, didn't you get the MTBR memo:
    I wrote that memo.

Seriously though, arguing about what wheel size is the best is like arguing about what size jersey to wear and what size pants make you faster on a trail.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast