mtbr member
    May 2013

2013 SB-95 Suspension

Hi Guys,

I have an XC bike with Fox CTD on the fork and shock...except when I move into Climb mode for the fork or shock, they both pretty much stiffen to the point of almost being fully locked out.

On my Yeti, when I go into Climb mode, it's only slightly stiffer than trail\descend mode. Is this normal, or should I have my suspension looked into? This is the case for the fork and the shock on the Yeti. I also notice CTD don't have too much of a difference between all of the settings.

I am about 200 lbs., and am running 70 psi for my fork, and 190psi for my shock.

Here's the part numbers for my Yeti:

Factory Series 34 FLOAT 29 120 FIT CTD 15QRFork Part#: CBQ8

Shock Part #: CC4B

Velocity Tune: L

Boost Valve Tune: 175

Thanks!

undercover brother
    The linkage on the SB95 is very linear, so it used the travel much easier. When I am in climb mode on my CTD on my SB66, it is only slightly stiffer than the trail setting. Also, if you run 25% sag, the SB doesn't even need to be in the climb mode. I rarely use mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thats the same tune on my shock also ( all 95 CTD shocks for 13 should be just like that )
    My fork is CH4D which is a different ID but my fork is the same as your fork ...(long story on why the different ID on the forks )

But yes, my fork and shock work very much like yours .

The rear short duel link suspension works so very good at separating the pedaling from the bump forces that Yeti was able to use a very low dampened tune and really did not need any pro pedal or heavy low speed dampening .

So no there is not much difference really, I do not like my bike in trail or climb mode on the fork or shock , I just leave the thing in " Descend Mode " and go.

Being able to set up the bike and just ride it was my one goal when I was test riding bikes, the Yeti was the only bike I could do that on , and as a plus the bike just handles great and I ride it just like it was a 26er .

I am 150 lbs I run 75 psi in the fork and 150 in the shock and it is an XL .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the help, appreciate it. I guess what threw me off was that there wasn't too much of a difference between the C-T-D settings like on my other bike where each setting is very noticeable.

Would you guys describe your forks are being plush and squishy, or more on the firmer side?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iflirtwithdirt View Post
    Thanks for the help, appreciate it. I guess what threw me off was that there wasn't too much of a difference between the C-T-D settings like on my other bike where each setting is very noticeable.

Would you guys describe your forks are being plush and squishy, or more on the firmer side?

Thank you!
    You know how Fox forks can be when new, Mine is sticky ....sucks..., I will go through it , polish it all up and make it beautiful and smooth ....and lengthen the travel alittle , .......sometimes you get a smooth Fox sometimes you don't.

I tell you the Rock Shock fork with the 51 mm offset is real hard to beat ,
    I have had very few Rocks Shock forks brought to me that were sticky from new , but I have had no lie ,,,Dozens over of Fox forks brand new that were sticky and harsh from new .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    CTD: Can't Tune Damnit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Climb mode on my shock is only slightly stiffer than descend mode. Not a huge difference (as you noted). However, climb mode on my fork stiffens it to almost lock out, compared to descend mode. Big difference.

I leave both in descend mode, with the suspension as efficient as it is. Not sure climb or trail mode is really needed. I also read where many of the Yeti employees ride theirs in descend mode with up to 25 to 30% sag on shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    Climb mode on my shock is only slightly stiffer than descend mode. Not a huge difference (as you noted). However, climb mode on my fork stiffens it to almost lock out, compared to descend mode. Big difference.

I leave both in descend mode, with the suspension as efficient as it is. Not sure climb or trail mode is really needed. I also read where many of the Yeti employees ride theirs in descend mode with up to 25 to 30% sag on shock.
    Dido that , Climb and or Trail mode just ruin the ride ,I have found for me that 25% sag is perfect in the rear and I run "Descend Mode" Front and Rear and just ride the thing , it is really nice to do that , it is a whole new riding experience , the only thing I have to do is lower or raise the reverb ( actually Im so tall and long that I really do not have to lower the seat so this bike has made me really lazy )

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I had to really focus more on sag measurement than PSI theory, and now have my bike dialed in much more to my liking.

You guys are right, the SB 95 handles and climbs soo well that I don't need to worry as much about the settings -- which is not the case on my other bike where the setting do matter.

In climb mode, my fork "stiffens" (lol), but not to the point of being anything close to locked out. I guess that's only more of a focal point for me as I do like to climb some pretty steep stuff from time to time....Guess I need an ARC carbon for that stuff (I wish!).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iflirtwithdirt View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have an XC bike with Fox CTD on the fork and shock...except when I move into Climb mode for the fork or shock, they both pretty much stiffen to the point of almost being fully locked out.

On my Yeti, when I go into Climb mode, it's only slightly stiffer than trail\descend mode. Is this normal, or should I have my suspension looked into? This is the case for the fork and the shock on the Yeti. I also notice CTD don't have too much of a difference between all of the settings.

After riding my SB95 for several months, I could never find a setting on the Float 34's that made me happy. I enjoy climbing and prefer to have the front end locked out the way my other bikes with RS forks do. All I got with climb mode was horrible bouncing uphill. Played with all the modes and multiple air pressures searching for a better feel and like you, the different settings only had very slight noticeable differences. And for heavy downhill braking, the fork dive was a bit scary.

I ended up calling Fox to talk to the tech about my issues. They recommended sending the fork in to have them retune with their 2014 internals and specs. It's a well known problem with this 2013 fork and unfortunate that they are still being spec'd on a lot of new bikes. I am more surprised that Yeti allows this to happen and continues to include this into their stock build.

Anyway, received my fork last week with the new tune and after several rides, the ride is fantastic and makes my SB95 an even better bike. Climb mode puts the fork in true lockout and descent is plush without the dive. Still playing with the 3 trail modes, but so far in the middle position it's a good all around position to cover most terrain. This is the fork the bike should have come with originally.

Point is, if you're not happy with your fork, it might be worth it to consider this upgrade. Hope this helps other SB95 owners!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    Point is, if you're not happy with your fork, it might be worth it to consider this upgrade. Hope this helps other SB95 owners!
    How much did Fox charge you for the new internals?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: 2013 SB-95 Suspension

Interesting, would be interested to know as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bart.taylor.sucks View Post
    How much did Fox charge you for the new internals?
    About $50 plus shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah, that is interesting. How long did it take for them to get the fork back to you? Just curious how much downtime I'm looking at.

Also, does the fork have to be under warranty for them to do this for the $50? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Their service dept calls when they begin work on it and it gets done pretty quick, literally a few hours to retune. Unfortunately, your fork sits a couple days before the pacakge gets opened and then takes them another several days to package it up to send it off. So with transit time on both ends, ETA is almost 2 weeks. You can either call their service number or fill out the Return Authorization form online to get this started

As for warranty, I believe these 2013's are all eligible for this retune service.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just picked up my 95 yesterday and was mulling over the rear shock last night. My shock acts the same way, I too was wondering if something was wrong with my shock. I read somewhere that during a review, they encountered the same problem with their shock, which was eventually replaced under warranty. How can we be sure this is the was the shock is supposed to act versus a defective shock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman808 View Post
    Just picked up my 95 yesterday and was mulling over the rear shock last night. My shock acts the same way, I too was wondering if something was wrong with my shock. I read somewhere that during a review, they encountered the same problem with their shock, which was eventually replaced under warranty. How can we be sure this is the was the shock is supposed to act versus a defective shock?
    My shock seems to work fine. You have a link to this review?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    I ended up calling Fox to talk to the tech about my issues. They recommended sending the fork in to have them retune with their 2014 internals and specs. It's a well known problem with this 2013 fork and unfortunate that they are still being spec'd on a lot of new bikes. I am more surprised that Yeti allows this to happen and continues to include this into their stock build.

Anyway, received my fork last week with the new tune and after several rides, the ride is fantastic and makes my SB95 an even better bike. Climb mode puts the fork in true lockout and descent is plush without the dive. Still playing with the 3 trail modes, but so far in the middle position it's a good all around position to cover most terrain. This is the fork the bike should have come with originally.

I spoke with the tech. about this, and he said they can't rebuild the 2013 with 2014 internals. I am confused! But, happy that it's all working well.

I sent my fork and shock last week to be worked on. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    On the phone they told me it would be 2014 internals. What they actually did was install the kit to update the dampers to match the tune of the 2014 forks. For those that would like to perform this on your own, the part number for the kit is 803-00-821. The kit includes a new compression piston, blowoff piston, blowoff spring, flow divider, and mid valve spring perch/check limiter. If you'd like to increase your travel to 130 or 140mm, this might be a good time to have them change out the existing 20mm spacer while they're in there.

Hope you get them back soon so you can start riding asap!