mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2012 ASR5C Fork Advice

I have a 2012 ASR5C with a 120mm Fox Float RLC. I've decided to replace the fork with a new 140mm Fox Talas CTD. Any thoughts on upping the stanchion size from 32 to 34?

Most of my rides are XC style, with some techy trail riding. But, I want to ride Downieville, Tahoe and the upcoming Tribe gathering in Colorado. Not really sure if a beefier stanchion is needed. I am 6'1" 170lbs.

Trail Ninja
    Your question about stanchion diameter and getting a more capable fork, reminded me of the Formula 33 fork. A bit more expensive at $1100 in the US. Only 1550g though. 120mm travel, but from the reviews, it appears to be stiffer than the competition including Magura's TS8, has a great suspension feel that has great small bump compliance, yet has a nice progressive mid to end-stroke that makes you feel is has more than 120mm travel. Seems the only downside they noted is price, availability, and some oil weeping out the seal when new.

ASR5C is a rocket that encourages a light build and I imagine people would be split on your original options, maybe leaning towards the 34, as sometimes the extra mass is worth it. A 34 140 TALAS CTD is not light (and not cheap). I know if I were willing to shell out 1k for a fork, the Formula would be on my short list. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a fork, but it's light and sounds like it works well. Maybe if I were building up a top-of-the-line, with no major compromises trail rocket... wonder what it would be with an employee discount.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have the same frame and opted for a Fox Float 32 CTD 140mm with QR15 and a tapered steerer. I had the option to go for a 34 but thought it might be overkill for the general type of trail riding I do in the UK. The 32 seems more than capable, stiff and it's weight suits the bike. I'm entered in a couple of enduros this year and off to The Alps in the summer.

I have read good things about the stiffness of the 34 stanchions though and I don't think you'd be disappointed. Would you be keeping the 32 120s? As you could swap the forks depending on the event/riding.

Also, is there a reason for opting for TALAS? Not sure I see the point. A standard 34 float would be cheaper, lighter and you may not find the need to drop the height/travel. My bike rides perfectly fine at 140mm.

Trail Ninja
    Looked into the Formula. Found a straight 1 1/8" 15QR for $750. Sadly not tapered steerer, but this is a price that might get me to think about it more. 1450g + 50g axle. Stiffness from 33 stanchions, but where does the rest come from: the materials, crown, arch, bushings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, KOB!

I am in the same boat. The 32 is probably more than enough for my weight/skill level and the types of XC trails I ride. There are a lot of really cool AM trails in the area and I'm not sure if there's a true need for the added stiffness. Really looking for a good all around fork and it seems like the Fox CTD 140 fork fits the bill.

As for Talas vs. Float - I'd rather get a float, but I don't think the 2013s are available with black stanchions. I know, it's only cosmetic, but...I want to keep the all black theme going.

And, definitely weight conscious. This is a beautifully light machine that cranks through the trails, do not want to tamper too much.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    I have the same frame and opted for a Fox Float 32 CTD 140mm with QR15 and a tapered steerer. I had the option to go for a 34 but thought it might be overkill for the general type of trail riding I do in the UK. The 32 seems more than capable, stiff and it's weight suits the bike. I'm entered in a couple of enduros this year and off to The Alps in the summer.

I have read good things about the stiffness of the 34 stanchions though and I don't think you'd be disappointed. Would you be keeping the 32 120s? As you could swap the forks depending on the event/riding.

Also, is there a reason for opting for TALAS? Not sure I see the point. A standard 34 float would be cheaper, lighter and you may not find the need to drop the height/travel. My bike rides perfectly fine at 140mm.

Trail Ninja
    From what I heard, Downieville isn't that demanding on suspension. Stiffness (AKA steering precision) helps though, to help steer clear of the sharp shale that threaten to cut your tires, and to keep on your line, so you don't wind off falling off the side of the cliffs.

I recall a vid of it happening: