mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2012 575: how much stiffer than older models?

My cousin was visiting from out of town yesterday and wanted to do a ride, so I loaned him my DW link 5 Spot, while I rode my wife's 575 (2006 front end, 2009 carbon rear, DHX Air). I built this bike up for her, but had never ridden it. Even though it's a size too small, I had a freaking blast on it. The bike is so playful and so much fun to ride, I'm considering putting my frame up for sale.

My main issue with her bike is the flexy rear end (I'm a 200# clyde) and lightweight wheels (Stan's Arch laced to Hope hubs). The wheels are easy enough, since mine are Flows. But it was not difficult for me to get some tire rub on the chainstay when hammering. I had to be conscious of large side to side motions, or off camber sections.

I realize the 2012 rear end is aluminum and supposedly stiffer than the all carbon rear, but am wondering if it's stiff enough for me. Does anyone have experience with both older and new designs that could comment?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went from the 2008 to the 2011 that had the aluminum rear end plus the through axle. Night and day difference. I noticed as soon as I got on the bike. It was a huge improvement.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    I went from a 2007 with all-alluminum rear to a 2010 with the carbon/aluminum rear. Significantly stiffer. IIRC, to make the 2006 front to 2009 rear connection work, you need some spacers, right? Gotta think that would add some play as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    I went from a 2007 with all-alluminum rear to a 2010 with the carbon/aluminum rear. Significantly stiffer. IIRC, to make the 2006 front to 2009 rear connection work, you need some spacers, right? Gotta think that would add some play as well.
    I'm not sure if spacers were needed for the frankenbuild, the frame came this way from JensonUSA (closeout deal they had a couple years ago)

I decided I'll rent a 2012 for the day while out in Moab next week. There isn't a Yeti dealer within a few hundred miles of me.It'll give me a chance to do a back to back ride with my 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    I'm not sure if spacers were needed for the frankenbuild, the frame came this way from JensonUSA (closeout deal they had a couple years ago)

I decided I'll rent a 2012 for the day while out in Moab next week. There isn't a Yeti dealer within a few hundred miles of me.It'll give me a chance to do a back to back ride with my 5 Spot.
    It's a good idea to rent one while in Moab.
    2012 has a new rear tri which is different from previous years. It looks very beefy but has no bridge like 2008-2011 did. You can also page EDR that went from a 2008 to a 2012 just recently. Here is his post with some good images of the rear:

2012 575 pics...

My prediction is that you'll like the 575 better when pointing down. Your Spot however should be pedaling better.
    happy demoing and decison making
    Last edited by GreenBonty; 04-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the link GreenBonty. I'll report back after the demo!