Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Big Hittin'

2011 ASR 5 vs 575 vs SB66

so im in the market for a new bike and recently became a fan of yeti after demo'ing a SB66.

i recently moved and my local trails consist of a long fire rd climbs, followed by long fast descents over mixed rough terrain. coming from a dh riding background i ride pretty hard downhill but my heavy built 36lb enduro evo is not very efficient on the long fire rd climbs.

Long story short im interested in either the yeti 2011 575 or the ASR 5. after reading a bunch and talking to people the new 575 seems pretty capable on the downhill and will still peddle up pretty efficiently (for a am bike). on the other hand the ASR 5 would be the better climber for the fire roads but how much dh ability am i loosing?

Im stuck between the two. i find descending way more fun but i need a bike i can take for a 3hr ride im climbing and descending. does anyone have fire rd climbing time on a new 575? how does she do?

or in short, how capable is the ASR 5 when descending?

what do you think? Thanks.
    Last edited by nokfir2; 12-29-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Just got a 2011 575 and love it to death! She's climbs just as good as the SB66 as long as you have it in pro pedal. The SB you don't even need propedal! I'd go with the 575 especially if you have a downhill background. Trust me she climbs fine!

Big Hittin'
    What time of climbing are you doing with your 575?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    I do a little bit of everything. Fire roads to some technical climbing. I even used the bike on a 13 mile road ride and it worked like a champ. It climbs better then my Specialized XC bike.

Big Hittin'
    awesome good to here. did you custom build or buy it with one of the kits?

what does it weigh in at?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    I got it at Huck N Roll the enduro model for 2150. It was a great deal. I know there are a few places online still selling the 2011 model but sure if there doing any discounts like Huck N Roll had. I added a reverb and couldn't be any happier with it. It probably weights around 30 if I had to guess. You could get down to 27 if you went all out.

mtbr member
    I think you will be very happy with the 575. I was able to demo a 575 and a asr5 and both climb pretty well but the asr5 climbs better and is more comfortable while climbing for extended periods of time. The bigger difference is when you downhill the 575 is much more capable to handle jumps, drops and high speeds. On the asr5 I was pushing it and it is very fun and has a higher flikability while feeling in control. When you ride the 575 it takes all that to a higher level and increases the smile factor while adding to the stability and feels like your glued to the terrain. I felt the asrc5 was very good on the downhill BUT the 575 was great and still would allow one to grow with it.
    My rides vary from 2-4 hrs and are more then 50% climbing. I also do 12hr races. So I chose the ASR5-C and really love it. For me it was the better choice for the type if riding I do and what I want my bike to do. The 575 for me would have been more fun on the downhills but harder on me on the climbs. They are close but if your looking for a better downhilling ride than the 575 is the better way to go.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    The 575 sounds like the better bike for you.

I had a ASR5C (with a 120 fork) and still have a '11 575. I sold the ASR5C and picked up a Big Top to replace it. I sold the ASR5 b/c I kept crashing on it. This was because I could get going as fast as I could on my 575, but there was no room for error with the firm 5" of travel. On the 575 I never have that problem b/c it just soaks everything up and I can descend with more confidence and speed. So I got a Big Top for my longer XC rides; now there is no mistaking which bike I'm on.

I found the ASR5 to be much more of an XC bike than the 575; therefore it pedals better and is faster on the climbs and flats. If you want to get to the top fast or log lots of miles the ASR5 is sweet. If you take a little more time on the climbs and want to rail the downhill the 575 is so much better for that.

I've been winning some local enduro races on my 575 and beating guys on bigger travel bikes. It's a great enduro bike! I run a blackspire stinger chain guide and a reverb which has made the bike super fun. I'm also considering putting a 160mm 36 on it and seeing how it does.

EDR
    3 hr rides climbing and bombing are great on a 575, can't speak to the 5 but sure it climbs a little firmer.

One thing to note, if you like any type of technical climbing the 575 really loves that stuff.

Sounds like with a d/h background a 575 would make you happier. Mine is around 30lbs with a 160mm coil Lyrik and make no mistake, it's not as point and shoot as a 36lb bike, but it does really really well on everything I can through at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    I got it at Huck N Roll the enduro model for 2150. It was a great deal. I know there are a few places online still selling the 2011 model but sure if there doing any discounts like Huck N Roll had. I added a reverb and couldn't be any happier with it. It probably weights around 30 if I had to guess. You could get down to 27 if you went all out.
    Awesome to hear you like your bike. I ordered the same model from hucknroll last week and happily it will arrive just in time for christmas (friday). My predicted date was the 28th. It got into build a few days earlier and they also upgrade me to 2nd day air. Great guys at hucknroll! I'm looking forward to taking it out. What pedals did you end up putting on it?
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - stock (for now)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    Awesome to hear you like your bike. I ordered the same model from hucknroll last week and happily it will arrive just in time for christmas (friday). My predicted date was the 28th. It got into build a few days earlier and they also upgrade me to 2nd day air. Great guys at hucknroll! I'm looking forward to taking it out. What pedals did you end up putting on it?
    It's a great bike you will love it! Im just starting to get comfortable with her. My only gripe so far would be the Elixir 5's which are a little noisy and the pedals strikes due to the low bracket. Otherwise I couldn't ask for a better bike! Huck N Roll also treated me really well so they will always have a customer in me. I put on my old clipless pedals which are the Shimano SLX 530. There not bad and give just enough cushion just in case I don't feel comfortable clipping in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've never ridden an ASR 5, but have a 2009 575 and do a lot of climbing and descending where I live. Very long climbs (fireroad or technical) coupled with long technical descents. The 575 handles all of it with ease. It's a fairly light bike and you can stiffen it a bit using propedal on the fireroads, if necessary. I've also found that using high volume tires really add to the plushness on the technical descents.

Question to the OP... you mentioned you became a Yet fan after demoing the SB66. With all the hype over this bike, why isn't the SB66 a candidate ? Too heavy, too stiff, too expensive, too hard to get ? Just curious

mtbr member
    As said by others, the 5 is better going up and the 575 going down. In my short demo they were not close but rather the first much better climber (including techincal climbing) where the 575 way better descender, in the air and on landing. The 5 is an XC bike on drugs where the 2011 575 a much heavier and stable AM bike.

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    I've never ridden an ASR 5, but have a 2009 575 and do a lot of climbing and descending where I live. Very long climbs (fireroad or technical) coupled with long technical descents. The 575 handles all of it with ease. It's a fairly light bike and you can stiffen it a bit using propedal on the fireroads, if necessary. I've also found that using high volume tires really add to the plushness on the technical descents.

Question to the OP... you mentioned you became a Yet fan after demoing the SB66. With all the hype over this bike, why isn't the SB66 a candidate ? Too heavy, too stiff, too expensive, too hard to get ? Just curious
    Just price.
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    holy sh*t anyone see today? they put on 2 white M 575 enduros for 2159.....score!

that made my decision!

New Yeti 575 owner! however they are so backed up with the holiday orders they sayed it prob wont ship until after new years...oh well
    Last edited by nokfir2; 12-23-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    holy sh*t anyone see today? they put on 2 white M 575 enduros for 2159.....score!

that made my decision!

New Yeti 575 owner! however they are so backed up with the holiday orders they sayed it prob wont ship until after new years...oh well
    Awesome man congrats! You will love the bike! It should come with kashima fork and shock also.

Big Hittin'
    thanks man.

it was weird, i checked out hucknroll before but they only had XS size...today 1 M in white popped up (the exact size and color i wanted)....i had to react. i did get the enduro kit which i know has some bottom end components but at 2150 its a steal i think.

i usually wouldn't buy a bike online, after i saw it i immediately went to the lbs the guy was in shock when i asked if he could price match. he actually told me to go home and buy it now, cool guy.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    thanks man.

it was weird, i checked out before but they only had XS size...today 1 M in white popped up (the exact size and color i wanted)....i had to react. i did get the enduro kit which i know has some bottom end components but at 2150 its a steal i think.

i usually wouldn't buy a bike online, after i saw it i immediately went to the lbs the guy was in shock when i asked if he could price match. he actually told me to go home and buy it now, cool guy.
    Yeah, it's a killer deal no doubt and something I couldn't pass up either. The nice thing about the enduro though is you can build it up the way you like.

mtbr member
    I was reading this and thinking, man, I love my 5 but if it was between my 5 or those discount 575s, I would have jumped at the 575. I was thinking it's a shame the OP missed that deal. Then walla, a x-mas miracle, Congrats!

Big Hittin'
    me hammering the demo sb66... :-)

just an ideal of my local trail...i cut out the 45 min climb haha

29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    That looks like a bad ass trail.

Big Hittin'
    so i was thinking i want to remove the big chain ring and convert it to a 2 chainring crank in the front and put on a spare Gamut bash guard i have laying around.

can i simply remove the big ring from the cranks? or do i need to buy a new crank setup?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Which gamut bash guard? I have a p20 on my 11 575 and just simply took off big ring but I needed longer chainring bolts. Gamut sells them, I picked up a set from truvativ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh yeah, congrats on the new ride! Your gonna love it.

Big Hittin'
    the P20.....thanks.

would my LBS have the bolts?
    29er's are Goofy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast