mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2011 575 Rear der. cable rub

Hello all! Not sure if this has been discussed on the forum or not, but as I was getting my bike ready for the season today, I noticed that the rear der. cable has rubbed an 1 1/2 to 2 inch spot on my frame about 1/16" deep. It's gone through the paint and down to bare metal. It is rubbing where the cable routes over top of the bottom bracket before it goes into the swingarm. Is this a common problem with these bikes and is it something covered by warranty? Any advice would be appreciated.

EDR
    Did you run the housing through the guide on the FD or otherwise secure it off the frame using zip ties or whatever? I guess you don't really have to answer this last part.

I'm not entirely sure if running it through the guide on the FD keeps it off the downtube or not...I'd have to look at my bike when I get home.

from their directions:

Next route the housing over the bottom bracket and into the drive side
    chainstay. Be sure to run the housing through the guide on the front
    derailleur mounting plate before inserting it into the chainstay. Push the
    housing through the chainstay and loop into the rear derailleur to finish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes, it's ran over the bottom bracket. I haven't modified it in any way at all, it's the same way it was when I picked it up from the dealer. I did a forum search and haven't found too much info about it, I didn't know if it is something that Yeti will take care of, or if I'm stuck with this issue.

EDR
    Did the dealer run the cable through the front der. mounting plate or not? That's really what I'm curious about. If not then the dealer did not run the cable correctly per Yeti's instructions...and of course this is not Yeti's fault.

I need to look at my bike as I can't picture this mounting plate guide in my head but I'm betting it helps keep the cable off the frame in addition to whatever else it does (guide the cable into the chainstay properly???)

EDIT: here is a pic (left) of the mounting plate guide for my '12 575, the '11 should be the same I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 575 Rear der. cable rub-screenhunter_08-mar.-11-12.44.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes, it is ran through the mounting plate as your picture shows. Sorry for the mis-communication on that. I'll try to attach a picture to show you what has happened.2011 575 Rear der. cable rub-imag0053.jpg

EDR
    I'll look at my bike tonight and see why mine doesn't rub (at least not that I've noticed). I'm guessing I just have more cable slack keeping it off the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Waiting to hear back from Yeti, dealer said he would talk to them and get back with me in a few days. I'll post en I find out.

mtbr member

Looks familiar!

2011 575 Rear der. cable rub-20130312_230614.jpg

I had the same issue! My solution was to stick a big piece of velcro tape (soft side) in the area where the cable rubs. You can see in the pic (sorry its sideways)...

Hope you're able to resolve the issue. I have a feeling that most '11 575 owners have (or had) the same rubbing issue.

LCW
    mtbr member

I put some clear protective film there and then a few pieces of electrical tape to keep the cable housing from rubbing. I got my '11 last year and there was a similar post at that time where someone's housing almost wore through the downtube. Freaked me out so made sure to protect and watch that area closely.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So Yeti told me they consider this "normal wear and tear". I was told to inspect the area in question before every ride and if I see any cracking in the frame, they would consider a crash replacement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    my 11 looks the same. it may even be a little worse. I also am looking for any good suggestions. I might be taking this issue up with the dealer also.
    2011 Yeti 575
    2007 Yeti 575
    2005 Trek Project One
    2000 Kona Stinky

EDR

Re: 2011 575 Rear der. cable rub

I finally just looked at my bike. There is a very small, very minor amount of cable rub in that area. It's so small it's no more than a scratch. But still, after seeing all these pics I'm going to put some protection down there. The key is to have enough slack on the cable at that area so that it doesn't touch the frame. But still, it's hard to stomach the huge amount of cable rub so I feel your pain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was given a few suggestions from Yeti to keep the frame from getting worse. They said I could get a crash replacement front end for $520. That amount doesn't seem too bad for a front end, it's the fact that I have to fork out that kind of cash even though it is no fault of my own that kind of rubs me the wrong way. On the other hand I understand that if Yeti just "gives" away new bikes for every little problem, we as the consumer will pay for it in the end. I still would like a little better resolution to the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 307antilla View Post
    I was given a few suggestions from Yeti to keep the frame from getting worse. They said I could get a crash replacement front end for $520. That amount doesn't seem too bad for a front end, it's the fact that I have to fork out that kind of cash even though it is no fault of my own that kind of rubs me the wrong way. On the other hand I understand that if Yeti just "gives" away new bikes for every little problem, we as the consumer will pay for it in the end. I still would like a little better resolution to the problem.
    Hey 307antilla, I know how you feel.The only option is to run a longer cable housing, allowing it to hang below the frame. I personally don't like that option because I don't like having loose parts on my bike.

Did you check out what I did to protect my frame? If you'd be cool with having a patch like mine on your bike, I can mail you a piece (I'm assuming you're located in either the US or Canada). No charge. If you're interested, PM your address. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the offer mtb_tico, but I did see your prior post and I did pretty much the same thing, so thanks for the idea. Hopefully this will help with the issue. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 307antilla View Post
    Thanks for the offer mtb_tico, but I did see your prior post and I did pretty much the same thing, so thanks for the idea. Hopefully this will help with the issue. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
    Okay, cool! Hope it works out for you. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I used 12 mil clear protective tape from JEGS, they sell auto stuff.

The roll of tape was more than needed but the best price Ive found and the stuff works great, I actually did a few layers where I thought it may rub the most.

I then went crazy and did my new forks so they do get to beat and my down tube and the tape is good stuff and worth a try..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Moving forward, try wrapping those sections of your cables with the 3M rubber splicing tape that is sometimes used to wrap the chainstay. I've been doing this for a while and I get not real cable rub on my frame. It's only $3 for a roll and can be had at the hardware store.

mtbr member

Re: 2011 575 Rear der. cable rub

Yup mine does it to. Oh well no biggie. Hopefully, Yeti bikes will be internally routed in the future. Looks much cleaner!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 575 Rear der. cable rub-uploadfromtaptalk1364229719846.jpg  

mtbr member

Same issue on my Asr7 which routes the cable the same way. I picked up some Lizard Skin frame patches and placed it under the cable. Prevents more rubbing and hides what's already there.