D93
    banned
    Oct 2011

2011 575 not very responsive.

I have a stock 2011 575 Enduro build Medium. I'm having trouble getting it to corner at speed. Even adjusting my line at speed is tough. Leaning has little input into the bikes direction, like the bike is on a rail. I find myself very wide and usually off the trail in flat corners even at low speeds. it just feels tracky and very locked into it's line. I've dumped a bunch of pressure from the front tire and really tried to drive it through turns but it's still a fight. Any suggestions?

It has the 90mm Truvativ stem, which I'm considering swapping for a 70mm. Bars are stock and not shortened.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are you running the same front tire as the bike you are using as a reference point?

D93
    banned
    Oct 2011
    I haven't made any modifications yet. Still running stock 2.25 Nobby Nic.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D93 View Post
    I haven't made any modifications yet. Still running stock 2.25 Nobby Nic.
    When you are talking about leaning/turning, I take it you've ridden a different bike that had different riding characteristics. I refer to this as your frame of reference.

What I am trying to do is find out if your perception of the 575 is due to a different tire/wheel choice up front - different that what you had run on the bike you are using for a frame of reference.

So, given that you are running a 2.25 Nobby Nic now, have you had past experience with that tire?

Of course, if this is your first bike, sorry for the assumption and we can start over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D93 View Post
    I have a stock 2011 575 Enduro build Medium. I'm having trouble getting it to corner at speed. Even adjusting my line at speed is tough. Leaning has little input into the bikes direction, like the bike is on a rail. I find myself very wide and usually off the trail in flat corners even at low speeds. it just feels tracky and very locked into it's line. I've dumped a bunch of pressure from the front tire and really tried to drive it through turns but it's still a fight. Any suggestions?

It has the 90mm Truvativ stem, which I'm considering swapping for a 70mm. Bars are stock and not shortened.
    What bike are you comparing this to? In general, if I'm not making my line and going wide on a corner, I need to change the orientation of my hips or head. Weight the outside foot, look into/through the corner to where you want to end up, stand up and point your hips in that same direction. If you're doing all that, then I would look at fore/aft weight distribution, which could be helped by a shorter stem if you've got too much weight forward.
    "Got everything you need?"