Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75

    2011 575 F. Derailleur

    I just purchased a 2011 575 (haven't got it yet) and was wondering about the front derailleur. I searched a bit but did not find an answer. I'm thinking about switching from the 3x setup it comes with to 2x.

    Which front derailleurs can I use on it that's 2x? Does anyone have a 2x setup on their 2011 575? What parts did you use? I'm thinking X9 front crankset and X9 shifters and ?? front derailleur.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    I just purchased a 2011 575 (haven't got it yet) and was wondering about the front derailleur. I searched a bit but did not find an answer. I'm thinking about switching from the 3x setup it comes with to 2x.

    Which front derailleurs can I use on it that's 2x? Does anyone have a 2x setup on their 2011 575? What parts did you use? I'm thinking X9 front crankset and X9 shifters and ?? front derailleur.
    i run an XO, 2x10, direct mount on my '11 575 with XO cranks, 28/39
    FM fastens to the swingarm (same as Specialized)
    i think you can ONLY run direct mount

    on a different bike i once set up a 2x10 crank using an old XT 3x FM, worked fine
    maybe the 3x FM you get will work ok for 2x

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    Which direct mount are you refering to, there seems to be two types a high and low direct mount from sram??? Maybe I'll just get the cranks and see if it works.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28
    I also bought a 575 2011 enduro I did the upgrate by
    2x10
    26-39 crankset x9
    front der, Shimano XTR M985 E-Type (important if you change the chain is going down all the time)
    rear der, X9 medium cage
    x9 shifter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 575 F. Derailleur-f-der.jpg  


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai75 View Post
    front der, Shimano XTR M985 E-Type (important if you change the chain is going down all the time)
    Not sure what you mean by "if you change the chain is going down all the time" ?

    How well is the XTR shifting with all the Sram components? I'm still hoping to figure out which Sram works, just to save some money.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    then again I just found an XT 2x10 for $50. It says E-2 type though. No BB ring included. Wonder what E-2 means.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28
    I mean, you have to change your FD if you do 2x10 combination, which comes with the kit enduro is 3x10, I walked with the FD 3x10 and I had the problem the chain drops

  8. #8
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,723

    Set limits?

    Not sure exactly what components you're planning, but I would think you/shop could just set limits on the shifter/fr der you're getting on bike for switching to 2x as long as you're getting 10 spd 2x cranks. Or keep the triple cranks, up a couple teeth on the small/mid rings,drop the big ring and install bashring. Probably the cheapest route. Depends on what overall "drivetrain" you're trying to achieve.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Not sure exactly what components you're planning, but I would think you/shop could just set limits on the shifter/fr der you're getting on bike for switching to 2x as long as you're getting 10 spd 2x cranks. Or keep the triple cranks, up a couple teeth on the small/mid rings,drop the big ring and install bashring. Probably the cheapest route. Depends on what overall "drivetrain" you're trying to achieve.
    I'm planning X9...2x10 crankset. Already got some 2x10 shifters ready to put on. Bike came with the 3x10, which I'm going to take off the bike and sell along with 3x10 shifters (still unused ) so that should pay for some of the X9 2x10. I'd rather sell the front derailleur too and replace it with the correct 2x10 rather than setting some extreme limits on it. I've never really had a need for a bashguard, knock on wood ........

    At this point my decisions are; what is the correct direct mount front derailleur and what size chainrings to get. Leaning towards the 42/28 since the rear cassette has a 36 on it

  10. #10
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,723

    42/28?

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    I'm planning X9...2x10 crankset. Already got some 2x10 shifters ready to put on. Bike came with the 3x10, which I'm going to take off the bike and sell along with 3x10 shifters (still unused ) so that should pay for some of the X9 2x10. I'd rather sell the front derailleur too and replace it with the correct 2x10 rather than setting some extreme limits on it. I've never really had a need for a bashguard, knock on wood ........

    At this point my decisions are; what is the correct direct mount front derailleur and what size chainrings to get. Leaning towards the 42/28 since the rear cassette has a 36 on it
    You're strong.....or there's not many hills in your area. Probably why you don't need a bashring.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    I'm planning X9...2x10 crankset...... Bike came with the 3x10............ I'd rather sell the front derailleur too and replace it with the correct 2x10 rather
    ........ Leaning towards the 42/28 since the rear cassette has a 36 on it
    did the bike come with Shimano 3x or SRAM 3x?
    if it came with SRAM you can just buy the correct spider and rings, the triple spider is handy to keep if you ever want to go 1x
    if it came with Shimano then you're best getting complete new

    in the past i set up a 3x9 specific XT front mech on a 2x10 crank as a temporary solution, worked fine (also on a different bike)
    now have the correct 2x10, XO direct mount to the swingarm, ask Yeti for the correct part number

    On my 575 i'm running SRAM cranks 2x10 with 28/39 rings and an XT 11-36 cassette.
    SRAM DON'T reccomend using a 26t with the 39t for some reason but i prefer the 28t, i still don't use the very lowest gear option.

    i wouldn't use a 42t, way too big, i only use the 39-11 on a couple of fire roads and on the tarmac.

    if you go with a 39t the ground clearance is higher so less need for a bash, plus, you'll be using it more than if you go for a 42t.
    generally chainrings don't bend when they have a chain on them (flamesuit on....)
    going 39/28 will enable you to trim your chain a bit shorter and run a mid cage rear mech, hence less flappy chain

    obviously i don't know your trails or riding style so....

    happy trails

    A

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    The 39/26 vs 42/28 has been tough to figure out. I feel like the small 22/34 is a joke, I feel totally out of control using it. How different is 26/36 ??? Hard to figure out using the Sheldon Brown Calc. went out for a ride yesterday with a short little hill, got into the 22/30 and 28 and it still spun pretty quick by usable, I still almost never use it though. I think I'm going to go with the 39/26.

    I called Yeti and a local bike shop. Yeti said "don't use the Sram" they don't make a mech thats fits correclty, go with shimano. Local shop said Sram was making a E-2 version that works. Still confused, so I'm just going to get a Shimano XT E-2 and call it a day.

  13. #13
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,723

    Good observation

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    The 39/26 vs 42/28 has been tough to figure out. I feel like the small 22/34 is a joke, I feel totally out of control using it. How different is 26/36 ??? Hard to figure out using the Sheldon Brown Calc. went out for a ride yesterday with a short little hill, got into the 22/30 and 28 and it still spun pretty quick by usable, I still almost never use it though. I think I'm going to go with the 39/26.
    As I mentioned on previous post, 2x gear choice depends "mostly" on terrain, then fitness for the most part.

    Let's face it, the 575 is an "Up and Down, some chunk and drops mixed in agressive XC Trail Bike!" Don't get me wrong not saying a WalMart type, just meaning it's not an "XC", "AM" or "DH" specific bike. For most of the "general public" rec riders having a 42/28 to get up to go down trails that this bike shines on doesn't make sense, let alone a 39/26. Been there, done that. A strong rider riding a lighter XC HT on varried terrain maybe.I know there's guys (and gals too) that rock the 32-36t front ring 1x9/10 machines up and over all sorts of terrain, but that's not the norm. Typically you're not jamming a big ring gear efficiently to or from the ride on these long travel rigs for any great distance or time trials. Right? Humor me. Tell me I'm right.

    I have a 22/34-11/34 2x setup, on a similar bike to the 575, after switching the big ring out on the tripple for a bashguard. Would have put a 36t front ring on but had a fairly new ring and only a 34t max bashring on hand. It works fine for the mix of trails I ride. I ride SS and 1x9 ht's alot too but I definitely use the 22t granny on the squishy when climbing seated on steeper sections.

    I test rode a buddies 575 over the weekend that had a 22/38-11/34 setup. That works pretty good. The one thing I had to get used to was the drastic drop when switching down to the granny. For the first few downshifts I kept thinking I had a chain! I'm thinking once I got used to the Yeti I could jump up to a 24t to help with that. Maybe use a 11/36 cassette later if needed. I'm going to be setting up my SS29r to 1x9 soon using the 32t front I have and a 11/36 cassette. Should work out pretty good.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bodhizafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    Took a leap of faith and ended up going with the 39/26 (just ordered it a few hours ago along with a 2x XT front derailleur). The 575 has an 11/36 cassette. I think I'll be ok for the climbing I've been doing, I guess I'm more of a masher as inefficient as that may be. I'll post up with my review of it once I get the parts and put it together. Thanks for all the input though

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    The 39/26 vs 42/28 has been tough to figure out. I feel like the small 22/34 is a joke, ..........
    sounds like you have a triple ring spider/crank
    if so
    chainrings for 104mm BCD cranks aren't that expensive so try a few different set ups, using the cranks/front mech you have now

    rings for 2x10 specific cranks are a bit pricey so be sure before you buy

    you can get granny rings up to 28t for 104BCD cranks and middle rings up to what ever you want
    go and by a 26t or 28t and a 36t or 38t to go with it and try them out

    with 10 speed, if you use a cassette with a 36t option there really is no need, in my opinion, to run a granny smaller than 28t

    EDIT-
    YOUR POST CAME IN AS I WAS TYPING THIS!!!
    i reckon you'll like what you're getting (keep a look out on flea bay for a 28t......)

Similar Threads

  1. Yeti 575 2011 Front derailleur
    By KPH in forum Yeti
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
  2. WW 2011 Jet 9 Front Derailleur
    By Om Flyer in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
  3. 2011 X9 rear derailleur
    By LUW in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
  4. 2011 derailleur hanger #??
    By TX_Shifter in forum Giant
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 08:04 AM
  5. 2011 Remedy Derailleur Hanger??
    By White_Panther in forum Trek
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •