mtbr member
    Jul 2006

200mm fork on ASX

Is it possible to run 200mm forks. On the website it has geomitires for 150mm fork and 170mm fork. Just kinda seems strange that it wouldn't even be able run a new Marz 66

local trails rider
    I am sure you can. I just think that I would not like the resulting taller front and slacker angles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    one of the reviewers on mtbr says he had a 888 on as-x and replaced it because it didn't feel good.

i have a 06 66 170mm on an as-x and it rocks.

mtbr member
    The ASX takes an 8" fork quite well, thank you. Yes it slackens the angle, but it's all for the better. I've run two inverted 8-inchers on mine ('05 and '06 models of RST Sigmas). I currently have a 7" 07 prototype RST R1 on and have found little geometry difference; but the axle-to-crown lengths are very similar. I still love the plushness and rigidity of the inverted 8.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    for dh i'm sure it would handle decent but hell no to trail riding...overkill imo! I 150-170 is probably the best range for the asx. I run 170mm and I think its a little too much travel for trail riding. Moving to 150mm next season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got a 190mm Shiver on mine. Run it with a flush headset, down on the stanchions as low as you can go, and you're golden. I even trail ride it with that beast. That said I'm going to a 180mm 66 SL ATA or Totem 2-Step next year so I can lower it for climbing and make it more trail-worthy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Is it possible to run 200mm forks. On the website it has geomitires for 150mm fork and 170mm fork. Just kinda seems strange that it wouldn't even be able run a new Marz 66
    No first-hand experience, but just check pictures on this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I'm going to a 180mm 66 SL ATA or Totem 2-Step next year so I can lower it for climbing and make it more trail-worthy.
    Have never tried an air fork, but have heard many didn't like their feel/characteristics, so am now thinking about the new 180mm 66 RC2 ETA (it's not "Light" anymore) -- any thoughts on that and how this fork may compare with the 2007 version of RC2X ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It seems that w/ all the new Single crown tech coming out these days a double crown is no longer needed for this type of bike. I live and ride in New England (ma.)...lynn woods and to have dc is just overkill and too much weight for the front. The fox 36 looks like a perfect combo for the asx. Cant weight to next season when I can afford to buy one! For now I'm stuck on the break out. I'll leave the dc for my sinister r9 where its well needed.

mtbr member
    On the flip side of that is the fact that so many dual crowns are light enough now that there's no need to deny yourself the rigidity and plushness of a DC
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA