Nightriding rules SuperModerator

2007 XT shifters & brake levers

Hi Tribe!

I have decided to replace my xt dual controls with the xt rapidfires (M760) and normal XT brake levers (M765). I have read that the standard levers provide a better and more secure feel.. so let's see if it's true . Since I will bleed the brakes when I switch the levers I won't install them until Saturday when I have some extra time... I'll keep U posted...

Here are some pics

Both sides

IMG_43752007 XT shifters and levers for the 575

Left side

Left side XT shifter and  brake lever

Right side

Right side XT shifter and  brake lever
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-23-2006 at 04:30 AM.

So.. nobody else has done the chance from DC to standard levers and shifters?

Should I suppose most Yeti owners bouth Yeti kits with their frames?

Adobo Lover
    Sweet!!! I've made the switch from gripshift to rapidfires. Now I'm looking to go with the new XTR shifters due to it's adjustibility. Let me know how you like the new XT, especially, the new index or thumb shifting. I've heard you can run the XT without the indicator. I tried running the old style rapidfires without the indicator to move my brake more inboard and shifter outboard to get more leverage for one finger braking but it didn't work well with my Nine's clamp. How are you going to set your's up? Thanks,
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

95Stimpy, I thought about the new XTRs too, they are already available here in Germany (in limited quantities), but I decided not to because of the price.. the XT (as usual) are like half the cost of the XTR... maybe the inmediate release could be worth it...

I also like my brake levers a little inward, that is also partly the reason to switch from DC, since the lever is so big and, on top of that, I move it inward, the DC kills all my handlebar space... also that I have read that you get better feel at the brake lever with the normal lever. So will probably run the indicator for a while and shift both the brake lever and shifter inward... I'll keep you posted on what I find...

Here's how my bike's cockpit currently looks like (with the dual controls)

575's new cockpit
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-20-2006 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    do the XT RF shifters have the multi-release or whatever it's called when you can shift multiple gears in both directions with one lever pull? Do you have a rapid rise rear derailleur? I'm curious how that will work out, I know they are compatable but I'm curious if anyone (other than shimano employees) actually likes rapid rise.

I don't know what you mean by more secure lever feel, but I like seperate levers much more, just because when I grab a handful of brake I know I'm not going to end up inadvertently shifting.

I think there is no multi release on the XTs.. only on XTR, it does have the dual release (able to use the thumb for both shifts).

I do have a rapid rise RD, on the dual controls it has worked flawlessly for 2 years, the shifting has been precise in all conditions and also very smooth.

Regarding the brake levers, I have read here and in magazines, that the brakes are more powerful (or at least feel so) with the normal levers. In the 2 years using dual control I have not had even 1 accidental shift while braking... so that is a non-issue for me

FAT CHANCE!
    I tried out the new 2007 XTR shifters on a parking lot ride about 2 weeks ago! Soild shifting!!! More so than the 2005-2006 XTR stuff. I would also say a lot of the front shifting maybe due to the awesome new cranks! I have not experienced front shifting that smooth in the 15 years I have been riding Mt. Bikes! VERY VERY nice! GO look at my post on the 2007 pro build kit I tested out. here:

2007 White ASR Pro Build

Well, I had a chance of taking the new bits for a spin this weekend, and the brakes feel awesome, as part of the switch I replaced the mineral oil and bled the brakes, so that could play a role.. regarding the shifters, they are smooth and nice.. I just have to get used again to rapidfires and I am still running a rapid rise RD, so at times I made wrong shifts... but with time I will probably get used to it...

Cheers
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-31-2006 at 12:16 PM.